First day ideas?

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by teach2heart, Sep 25, 2006.

1. teach2heart

teach2heart Rookie

Sep 25, 2006

Hi all, I just received a 1st grade teaching job & will start full-time on Wednesday! :eek: It is a leave replacement position so the students have been in school about 3 weeks & have most routines established. I am planning for the last 3 days of this week & already have an idea of what I will do for math & literacy. However, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what I could (or should) do the first days I am there?? :confused: I would really like to take the time to focus on building good teacher-student relationships. Any ideas about how to handle the transition in teachers for these students? Thank you so much! :love:

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 25, 2006

Go when the students aren't there and survey the room. It'll give you clues as to what basic routines/schedules/discipline systems are already in place. While it doesn't hurt them to get used to a new teacher's way, it's probably best not to totally redo it. It will also give you a good idea of what supplies, posters, etc are already available.

Plan a good craft, get to know you game, etc. Let them know you have rules, but let your first day or two be more about getting to know each other (much as you would at the beginning of the year). Ask where the last teacher left off on curriculum stuff (as well as what has already been covered). Review their assessments/IEP plans.

Mostly if you let them know how much you enjoy being there and act like your job is fun (though don't let them have too much slack), then they will easily accept a new person. Kids are so adaptable.

4. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Sep 25, 2006

Congratulations on your new job!!!! Is it possible to talk to the teacher you are replacing and find out what the class has done? Go over the procedures and rules you want them to have. I also think you need to keep the schedule the same for a few days and then change things in small steps to the way you want it. Have a great year!!!