First Day Icebreakers

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Storyteller, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Storyteller

Storyteller Rookie

Aug 12, 2013

Sorry for so many questions but you guys are just so knowledgeable and smart!

Anyway, I'm trying to plan out just my first day and I'm so worried that I'm going to finish all I have planned (which, admittedly, is not much yet) and there's still going to be time left in the class period. So I wondered if an icebreaker is typically something that is done on the first day? I've been googling some and found things like "people bingo" (the game where they have to find classmates who have certain things like younger sisters or whatever and have them initial their bingo gameboard) but didn't know if this was something no one does anymore.

I know to go over procedures and rules and stuff but I'm just not sure that will take 50 minutes...what do you guys do?

:help:

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 12, 2013

I did an icebreaker on the first day when I taught 7th. I would not make it too long though.

Your concern of not having enough planned is a good one. It is great to overplan--especially in middle school.

4. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 12, 2013

I play student bingo and also do 2 truths and a lie, The kids write down two true thins about them and one false thing and their partner has to guess the lie. Definitely over plan for the fist few days.

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2013

Two truths and a lie is fun. People bingo is fine.

Honestly, I stopped doing ice breakers. I tell the kids to stand up, say their name, where they're from, and one thing about themselves and that's it. Then I start teaching. I always do content on the first day and give a quiz the second. Set the tone :)

6. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 12, 2013

Lucy , jealous! I wish we could start content but too many changes in schedules lead to problems if we do. I would love to set the tone with doing content ASAP. Oh well.

7. vlcmchick

vlcmchick Rookie

Aug 12, 2013

I'm going to have 8th graders for Language Arts and I think I am going to have them write six-word memoirs on the first two days. First day, they fill out a questionnaire with a partner and try to narrow it down to six words; second day they will finish up share out with class.

This way, they are working and writing, but I haven't jumped into hard content in case student schedules are shifted. Plus it gives me a little insight into each kid. What do you think?

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 13, 2013

I do not do icebreakers with my students. They have been together since preschool. They know each other too well already.

Now, years ago I got students from five different elementary schools, so I did do icebreakers.

9. rae85

rae85 Rookie

Aug 15, 2013

As a brand new teacher in a new school, I feel like it is important to do ice breakers. I want a good rapport with my students, and I want to know whats important to them. Today was our first day, and I had them fill out a "bio" sheet and allowed then to ask me (appropriate) questions about myself.

We then went over rules/expectations. Tomorrow we'll discuss the curriculum and play that person bingo game. Then Friday will be the day we get to work!