First Day Drop Off

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Kindermaine, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Kindermaine

Kindermaine New Member

Aug 4, 2008

I was wondering what people do on the first day of school for drop off. I have always let parents drop of their kids and stay for awhile. Last year this was a disaster that lasted a week with some students. I have mixed emotions about this. Part of me thinks parents should bring them down to get them settled, the other part does not want a repeat like last year. I am running a Camp K for 2 days (2 hours) to orientate the students before school. So maybe the drop off on the first day won't be as hard. Can you please share the policies on this. Thank you Kindermaine

3. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 4, 2008

I tell parents that as we start circle time, around 8:15, they need to leave. We also have a Boo Hoo breakfast for the parents that have a hard time separating. The PTA sponsors it.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 4, 2008

Our principal comes over the loud speaker and asks all parents to leave the building. After the first few days parents have to come in and get a nametag to come to the room and they usually stop fairly quickly. Another thing that helped is that each grade has a meeting area where all the students go before school until the bell rings. The kids don't just come into the classroom, so the parents would have to wait with the large (noisy) group of students each morning ;)

5. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 4, 2008

It is much easier on students if they just drop them off at the door with the other children. My aide is at the front door rounding up the class for the first few weeks...so they know where to go! However, I tell the parents it is their decision...I do recommend just letting them off at the door. I've seen many parents who are more upset than the children...when the parents are upset it makes the children upset also. You know the parent who says bye and then can't believe their child isn't sad to see them leave, so they ask for another hug, etc. I do not let the parents stay for our morning activities. Yes, there will be criers but after the first few weeks hopefully we'll be over it! :) That being said...the crying on the first day is the worst part of kinder to me! I hope I don't have a lot of criers this year!

6. ashleylaurenstl

ashleylaurenstl Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

We have extra staff at the entrance of the building to help with kindergartners. Typically parents do not come to the actual classroom.

I have noticed that not having parents in the room allows for a smoother transition. In the past 2 years I have had only 1 student cry and it was because he wasn't able to see his dad before he left for school. Other than that one child no crying.

7. Kteacher07

Kteacher07 Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

Parents do not come to the classroom. For the first week or more of school the K teachers pick all the students up outside at the front, this includes"busers" and those being dropped off. Then when we have everyone, we all walk down to our room as a class. This goes on for about a week depending on the kids, so they become used to how to get down to the K wing. So, parents are not an issue.

8. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2008

On the first day, all the teachers go outside to meet the classes...our names are hung up on the building. The first day, we let parents come into the room to help get the kids settled...but not everyone has a parent with them...so I would like to just leave all the parents, I think it would be easier. I actually had one parent video-taping the classroom last year...they just can't let go!