First day dreams?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by dgpiaffeteach, Jun 22, 2014.

1. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 22, 2014

Our first day is August 20, but I've already had at least four back to school dreams/nightmares. My dreams are very vivid and I usually remember them.

So far the worst was when I had zero clue how to use my Smart Board (getting one over the summer). I felt so panicked!

Anyone else have them yet?

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 22, 2014

Not yet, but I had a few over this past year, usually during winter or spring break, and I'm sure I'll have a few before we go back. They're usually VERY real, down to the smallest details. No nonsense, everything is happening in my own classroom, with the students with my principal, and usually it's about this: the class is a complete chaos because I'm not prepared, either I have no plans and I'm trying to come up with them during class, or technology or something else fails, often the P walks in during the chaos, sometimes I'm writing the objectives on the board as she walks in and I feel bad about it and it's just stressful.

4. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jun 23, 2014

I don't have these for the first day, but in February I had an initial placement meeting that had to keep getting postponed due to bad weather, dad's schedule, etc. I had the meeting on the last possible day. I had several dreams after that meeting that I wasn't able to hold the meeting, and I caused the district to get fined (which would have happened if I hadn't been able to hold the meeting.)

Also, I had one month where I didn't have ANY meetings. I woke up in the middle of that month from a dream that I forgot 3 meetings that month. I immediately got up, came to my computer (thank goodness for Google-docs) and checked my spreadsheet to make sure I hadn't forgotten any. I also checked it several times at work that day.

I have never forgotten a meeting, but it haunts me that I will someday!

The life of a special ed teacher is so crazy! lol:dizzy:

5. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 27, 2014

Argh, this thread must've jinxed me b/c I read it yesterday (and didn't comment b/c I haven't had any first day dreams) then last night I have my first one. GRRRR (lol)

Anyhow, in my dream it was the first day of school and all the kiddos were on the carpet as I'm giving my usual speel about rules, procedures, etc. Everyone's listening quietly, except this one kid who won't stop talking while I'm talking. W/o missing a beat I'm like ''And people who talk while the teacher is talking will get their colors moved, like my friend Billy here. You'll get to be the first person to move their color on the first day of school. That's very sad.''

So Billy refuses to move, so I drag him to the chart to move his color. First he cries, then he's smirking and stretched out completely on the floor refusing to move his color. All the other kids are watching and I'm trying not to panic and maintain control.

I want to smack him upside his head, but know I can't. Thankfully I woke up right after that.

99.9% of the time, my school dreams are about out of control kids and/or me not being able to manage my class. That's scarier than any boogie man.

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2014

I had one school dream... but I know why. I dreamed we didn't have a principal and instead, everyone in a leadership position had to do part of the P's job.

IRL, they announced two weeks ago that my P was being moved to the DO and they have not yet announced her replacement. I'm happy for my P, but I'm going a little crazy with wanting to know the replacement.

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 27, 2014

I always have dreams about my class. Usually nightmares. Last year I had nightmares about something happening with my blind girl. I'm kind of nervous what type of dreams I'll get this year with my ED boys coming...

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 27, 2014

Haha sorry Em! I had another one last night. My old P (not even my current one??) called me in to just berate me about how everything I did was wrong!

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 27, 2014

I have a long-standing recurring nightmare that I'm late for the first day of school. That's why I always set three alarms & have my mom and boyfriend call me on the morning of the first day.

Recently, I had a terrible nightmare that I got into an argument with my school office manager. She and I don't always see eye-to-eye and I "told her off" in the dream! :unsure: