First day disasters

Discussion in 'General Education' started by viola_x_wittrockiana, Aug 22, 2022.

1. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Aug 22, 2022

Everything started off ok. . . for about half an hour. First off one of the teachers' cars broke down on the way in, so that became, "um, here's a sub, kids!" until they could make it in. Ok, we've got that covered. Then about an hour into classes we lose power. We did not regain power today. Emergency lights only, no AC, no lighting in the staff bathroom, had to order food for the hot lunch kids because the kitchen equipment is all electric, no copiers, no internet or phones, no coffee. Of course, my game plan for the littles was very active, so by the end of the day when I had to meet parents for dismissal, I looked and smelled bad.

But, no one cried, puked, bled, or cussed me out, so I'll chalk it up as a successful day. lol.

Anyone else had some unplanned first day adventures?

3. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2022

Ha ha ha - nice to hear after all of that you still have a great sense of humor.

What a day!

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2022

The good news is that it can only get better by comparison to the first day, which will help you appreciate the good things that happen along the way. no one cried, puked, bled, or cussed me out, - On a day like that, those results are glowing!

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 25, 2022

The absolute BEST thing about teaching in a year-round school is that I have no first day!

6. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2022

My worst first day was in a new school. The principal told us: If you do nothing else correctly, make sure everyone gets on the bus. It was a huge school, and we were in a back hall.I had the kids lined up ready to roll 10 minutes early. I was facing forward, ready to lead them out when I heard a horrible sound, felt something very wet, and the stench filled the air. The boy directly behind me had projectile vomited directly on the back of my dress. It was dripping in my shoes. All I could think of is: No one can miss the bus. Someone saw me in the hallway, swore they'd get my kids on the bus, and told me to go tell the P I needed to go home. Word must have travelled to the office quickly! I walked in and headed towards his office. He was waving me away....not wanting me to come any closer. It was over 100 degrees outside and I did not even yet have an air con car. I had to drive home in the heat like that! It was soooo gross!

7. Aces

Aces Devotee

Aug 26, 2022

Our first day was Wednesday and it was pretty much exhausting like yours!

Well first thing, had a teacher quit on me. Literally threw her badge at me and walked away. Even from a legal perspective, there’s not much that can be done because she had been with the district so long, she wasn’t hired on a yearly contract basis anymore. The reason why? Apparently she and the lovely construction crew had a disagreement in the parking lot. My understanding is there was some road rage involved, and a five gallon bucket of paint spilled on the hood of her car.

Oh, and then we had the unscheduled fire alarm go off. Thankfully this wasn’t anything faulty or anything like that. Unfortunately, a student pulled it thinking he was going to be funny. His mom, the police detective, was not a happy camper.

Oh, and the icing on the cake? One of the basketball hoops in the field house, the glass backboard completely shattered. Thankfully, no one was hurt (there was no one in there at the time). The theory is it probably had some minor flaw in the glass, and it eventually just shattered from the changing of temperatures. Luckily, they were all being replaced next week anyways, so we had a replacement.

Yesterday was much, much smoother and only had one incident: a fight in the cafeteria. Here’s to hoping that Friday (today) is even better!

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2022

Several years ago we had a water line break and flood the 6th grade hallway. Poor kids were already terrified to be in a new school, then the ceiling starts falling in and water is everywhere.

Another year we had a bomb threat the first day, so we stood outside in the blazing sun for three hours.

And we can’t forget the year that the state police showed up to arrest our front office secretary on charges of sexual abuse of a minor.

9. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Aug 27, 2022

Yeesh! You all have me beat! I've somehow managed to never have a puke-r in my career. *knocks on wood* Bleeders, sprained ankles, mild allergic reactions, and potty accidents yes, but no vomit. I've had my first bleeders and lost teeth of the year. I've got to remember to carry some small baggies for teeth.

We've had electric issues all week in parts of the building, apparently in part due to the age of the building's system. Can't do much of anything about that since we're renting the building while the one we bought is undergoing much-needed renovations. We now have to schedule who's using the AC (all window units). Weather forecast for Monday is 90+, so I'm expecting a bunch of sweaty, cranky kids.