First Day Back

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by DLJ3200, Jul 25, 2013.

1. DLJ3200

DLJ3200 New Member

Jul 25, 2013

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for fun things to do with teachers on the First Day Back. In the past we have gone bowling and done a scavenger hunt at Sea World. We try to do something fun and not work related as a way to allow teachers to get to know their teams and other staff members.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2013

Happy hour.

4. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 25, 2013

Sounds like fun! I wish my school did something like that! Around here (ne ohio), a great trip would be to a winery.

5. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jul 25, 2013

I really like the idea of a Happy Hour.

My school will actually be going out to play Demolition Ball which I'm very excited about. It's a mix of bumper cars and basketball.

6. BookButterfly

BookButterfly Rookie

Jul 28, 2013

My last school did a scavenger hunt all around the town. We had to take pictures of us doing silly things in front of each thing we *thought* was correct. Best picture got a prize and the team who had the most correct answers got a prize (scratch tickets!) I was a huge fan. =)

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 28, 2013

We have a staff meeting and then some sort of PD...

8. muinteoir

muinteoir Companion

Jul 28, 2013

I know I'm going to sound like a party pooper, but I would be really irritated to spend a work day playing some sort of game.
    Give me some quality PD, or meet to go over start of school logistics, or let have prep time, but don't make me participate in some contrived team building or bonding time when I could be doing something useful.

I would enjoy an optional happy hour after the work day.

Like I said....party pooper.

9. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 28, 2013

Two years ago, we went on a *surprise* retreat -- it turned out to be a ropes and initiatives retreat. It was meant to be a suprise, and so none of us knew what to expect. Boy, did I have fun (sarcasm)! The big surprise for me was that the place was not handicapped accessible, and I couldn't participate in any of the activities due to my disability. I got to spend the whole day watching others participate (yep, 7 full hours of watching others do activities.) Talk about depressing! I tried to be a good sport, and took tons of pictures with my camera, but it was a negative experience for me. It really made me feel different and left out. It was a total bummer.

10. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jul 28, 2013

I have to agree- especially since my team of 12 teachers hasn't changed in 3 years. We know each other. :p

11. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Jul 29, 2013

I need some ideas for the first few days also! I will have my homeroom kids for 3 days without any instruction at all!