First Day Back to School!

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Limegirl, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Limegirl

Limegirl Rookie

Aug 7, 2009

This will be my first year teaching and I will be teaching 8th grade math. I am trying to figure out what to do on the first couple days of schools. I teach 1 period of reading and 4 periods of math for 45 minutes each.

For the first day I have come up with assign seating, go over classroom rules and procedures, and have students fill out an information card. I am considering doing a get to know you activity. I would really like one that ties in math. Any ideas??

For the second day I am planning on giving a math assessment to see what they know and what they need to learn and plan the next week from that.

Also I really like to reinforce positive behaviors in the classroom. Any behavior management plans I come up with I think are too elementary. Any suggestions are appreciated!

3. rcscott

rcscott New Member

Aug 10, 2009

Congratulations! You'll love 8th grade (at least I hipe you do, I love my eighth grade classes, I've had 8th grade for 3 yrs);
    My first day of school routine includes a "Welcome Back" powerpoint slideshow.....it outlines my rules, procedures, grading and test policies & guidelines, ways to earn rewards, homework policy, a little info about me(family pics, college info....fun stuff)etc.

I assign seats (lab tables actually, I teach science); And I provide "Contact Me" cards(my email address, classroom phone ext., website info, etc, on a 3x5 card), and their syllabus for the year.

I take bquestions related to the class, and I learn their names.

Be sure to set your expectations for them high, and early on.

As far as behavior management, a point system , or "monopoly money", or fake coins...anything than can add up to earn some sort of reward works well in my classes. Plus I'm very strict, so play time is hard-earned and the kids really work for it. I keep my referral binder handy and I don't let the 'little things' go because that leads to the big things....if they know you'll write them up for gum chewing, they're less likely to try their luck with more severe conduct breaches (profanity, fighting, dresscode violations, etc)

Feel free to email me, I've got tons of great stuff that I find works well! Best wishes -)

Rachel

rachel.yorke@gmail.com

4. Limegirl

Limegirl Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I really like the monopoly money idea! It's simple and I think the kids will get a kick out of it!

5. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

What do you use as things for them to "buy" with the Monopoly money?