First Day As A Sub

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by rookieteacher:), Feb 16, 2011.

1. rookieteacher:)

rookieteacher:) Companion

Feb 16, 2011

I had my first day as a sub today by watching another sub. I got a tour and then subbed the rest of the day. There were some questionable things I wanted your opinion on.

First. Kicking out students. The other sub kicked out a few students and refused admission when they asked to come back in. One of the students missed a full lesson because he was disruptive. The student was a middle schooler. :mellow:

Second: The sub made comments about students in class who were trouble. They said not so nice words about them. I know we all think it but saying it out loud? It wasn't in front of a student but under their breath.

I am appreciate of their help today but I got a slightly negative view of subbing. It is my first day of my first job. All I heard were negative comments about the economy, students, and pay.

I am excited to start gaining teaching experience (and a paycheck!) and work towards finding a job!!! I also am excited to be in the district because it is a good one with hopefully many 5:45 a.m. calls for subbing. I also got a few compliments: "Do you go tanning because you are really tan?" and "Can you always be our sub because you are really energetic?" Those made me smile. Haha! :cool:

:thanks: for your help!

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 16, 2011

First of all, congrats on being a new sub & good luck! I've been a sub for just about 10 yrs & have been an elem special ed teacher for a yr. That person you observed didn't sound like the best person to be observing. Who's idea was it to have you observe THAT particular sub? I'd never send a kid out of the class because if they run & goof off & get hurt or go missing, it will be on YOUR head. I mean God only knows what they'll do out there & many kids will think it's great to not have to be sitting in class. Speaking of this, I also heard that by law, you can't take away recess from kids because it's like taking away PE, which is fun to many kids, but still part of education & an outlet so they can run & play & be refreshed to learn again when they're back in the room.

The thing about them making negative comments out loud doesn't sound too good either. To me, that's on the same level as being sarcastic with kids, although I don't think a tad bit of sarcasm, especially with older kids will hurt at times if they're being disrespectiful.

I've been subbing for a long time & it's been good to me & has paid my bills, but I'm definitely ready for a permanent job again.

4. azure

azure Companion

Feb 16, 2011

I don't know where you heard that by law you can't take away recess, but that is not true where I live.

5. rhoyalt06

rhoyalt06 Rookie

Feb 16, 2011

I definitely haven't heard this. Do you not have recess detention out there? Out here we can take away recess and some schools even take away PE.

6. rookieteacher:)

rookieteacher:) Companion

Feb 16, 2011

I just was called to sub Math. I am AWFUL at Math so this will be REEEAAAAALLLLL interesting. Haha.

I was nervous too about sending the student in the hall. I saw him walk by the classroom a few times with other students. I feel like if he ended up in a bad situation he could claim that we forced him to be there.

I also didn't like that he wouldn't let the student back in. I guess I would have asked what he could do to come back in and what expectations he had to follow.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 16, 2011

When I was student teaching a 6th grade class, my cooperative teacher had the misbehaving kids pick up trash around campus during recess time & then show their bags of trash to show proof that they did it. That sounds like a pretty good punishment to me.

My mom who's now retired from a school district told me about the taking away recess bit. I've never heard of taking away P.E. though.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2011

In regards to taking away recess, it depends on the school district. I, for one, do not believe in taking away recess.

However, I would just find out what your school does (in house suspension, detention during break time/recess, etc).

If you DO kick students out (which is sometimes unavoidable) then you send another student with them to the detention/office with a note. AND call the office/detention to let them know that the student is coming.

The sub you observed seems to have way too many negative feeling about their job. Yes, teaching is hard. Subbing can be even harder. BUT, you won't survive if you focus on the negatives!
    You seem like a positive person. Keep that up! :)

When I subbed way back then, I actually really liked subbing at the junior and high school level way more than elementary. And, if you are good, you'll develop a good reputation. :) Just follow the lesson plans, do your best to keep the kids engaged and in control, and be firm and consistent.

Good luck!