First Day advice

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by scooter503, Aug 5, 2008.

1. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

I will be a new teacher this year in a 5/6 combo class. While I have 6 years of subbing experience, I have never been present on the first day of school. I don't know what to plan. I know we will need to cover rules and expectations, procedures, that kind of stuff. I would like to do some get to know you activities, but there-in lies my dilemma....my kids will pretty much all know each other (it's an extremely small school and most have been in school-even the same class- together since kindergarten). Also, they are familiar with me, as I've been a sub in their building for four years. Do any of you great teachers have any good suggestions for me? :help: What are some fun things we can do?

3. JenL

JenL Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

think about doing some activities related to summer time activities...although they may know eachother and know you they might not know what other people did over the summer. you can modify the get to know you activities with get to know what i did this summer.
    i always do a find someone type quiz...set a time limit and create questions like find someone who went bowling this summer then they have so many seconds to find someone...

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2008

A great teacher friend of mine has 6th graders and one thing she does each year is to pair up her students. They talk to each other about likes, dislikes, hobbies etc. and then they create a name plate for each other that fits the other person! You could just take a piece of white construction paper and hot dog fold them. I really love this idea and have seen it be a very success first day activity in her room.
    You could also do a person scavenger hunt for when they first come in based on summer. i.e. Find someone who traveled by car this summer. They find the person and he/she signs the box.

5. Maestra Ita

Maestra Ita Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

Hi this is my first year also, I just have a bag full of goods for the students on their desk and a word search (back to school theme) that gives a chance to talk to the parents. Then I will write some words on the board like my name, age, name of my kids, color, etc. I will have then guess the questions of those answers, like what is my name? Once they all get to know me I will give them an index card for them to write important things about them selfs, then they will go in front of the group and read what they wrote. I also have a name tag (paper) for them top write their name in a cool way, so they can put it on their desk. After that is just what you should do for the day, classroom rules, supplies, etc... Like I said this is my first year also, just trying to help so I can calm down, tomorrow will be my first day...

6. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

Thanks for the ideas so far, everyone.

Maestra...let me know how your first day goes! Good luck!

7. TAZmo

TAZmo Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

I always like to do a quiz about me first. I have items on their like; I have bungee jumped, I can water ski, I was a girl scout, etc for the true false section, I then have a fill in the blank section that is actually first then the T or F. But the fill in the blank has questions like; What is my middle name, where did I attend high school, how many countries have I visited, how many children do I have, how many states have I lived in, how many pets do I have, what's my favorite soda, what's my favorite color etc. Some of these answers can be found in my classroom. I usually have a Diet Coke sitting out where they can see it, I have pictures of my dogs, I have pictures of my children etc.

Later in the day I'll do some fun more fun activities, such as find someone who has a brother, find someone that likes peas, (these are all listed on a a sheet, and they go around the room looking for someone to sign their sheet, the only rule is that a student can only sign your sheet once, they must find someone else for the other items.)

Rules and procedures do take up a lot of time, also handing out books and recording the number etc.

Day two I begin teaching math, science, social studies, and communications arts (reading, writing, spelling, language/grammar)

I also reinforce those procedures.

Good Luck and Enjoy. :)

8. TAZmo

TAZmo Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

Oops I do know that it's there not their (I was typing rather quickly and my brain wasn't keeping up ha.) That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

9. JenL

JenL Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

thought of another...
    have you ever done three truths and a lie...
    have them right four things on a card...three have to be true and one is a lie. then they have to guess which one is not true. i think this is fun and if you are really good you can think of some that sound like lies that are truths or the other way around.

10. esfgirl

esfgirl Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

What I have done in the past is student get to know you "Bingo." Make a bingo board with different statements for each square, some more challenging than others. Statements like, "I have an older brother", or "I like playing sports", or I have been on an airplane", etc. Students can then go around the room and ask each other which statement applies to them. Each person can only give them one true statement and they must initial the other persons board by the true statement. By only allowing each student one square per board it forces the students to mingle. Whoever gets BINGO first (up, down or diagonal), wins a prize! I play with the kids.

I have also done 3 truths and a lie. Each student tells the class three things that are true about themselves, and one that is a lie. The class then must figure out which one s the lie and all agree on it!

I am not sure which one I will be doing this year...