First day activity for a boy heavy class

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by bandnerdtx, Aug 24, 2008.

1. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 24, 2008

I just got my class list on Friday for my TAKS prep class, and it's almost all boys! I only have 2 girls in the class. The class is small (only 10 kids), but it's right after lunch, so they'll be wired (and maybe a little gassy).

We call our TAKS classes "STAR", so most of the teachers are going to have the kids make a star, decorate it, and put information about themselves in the star to display. I'm just not sure this is going to go over well with a bunch of 16-19 year old boys/men.

Does anyone have any engaging "get to know you" activities that I might be useful? I was thinking of making some sort of Jeopardy game about our school and the different TAKS subjects will be covering.

What do you guys think?

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008

I take it TAKS is your state test, like our CA HS exit exam (which we used to call the "hissie" but now generally refer to more benignly as the "casey" :))

Instead of an actual star, maybe you could do a magazine cover mock-up and put their picture on it - they could be the featured star, with titles of articles that reflect their interests - "Jake's winning soccer tips," or whatever.

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 24, 2008

I like the idea of the magazine cover! All of my students have laptops, so that would be easy to do. Thanks!