First Day Activity Booklet for Desks!!!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Youngteacher226, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2006

:p Can someone share with me what would be a good activity to have on the student's desks for them to do as they enter on the first day?? I know I want to do activities throughout the day, but I need some type of "bellwork" to have for them to keep the mood calm. The only problem is that I am a first year teacher and I have absolutely NOOOO resource books yet to photocopy activity sheets and things like that. What are some things that I can run out and get for my children to do? I wil have a second grade class. HELP.:eek:

3. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 16, 2006

What grade do you teach? I am thinking of the same thing. I want my students to get into the habit of beginning work as soon as they come into class. I want the assignments to be related to what their objectives will be for that day. I'm just sorting out my lesson plans now for 4th grade. Good luck to you.

4. Youngteacher226

Aug 16, 2006

Well, I already know that my children will have Bellwork EVERYDAY whether its math, grammer skills, science Q&A or whetever. But they will have work as soon as they enter that builds upon what we are working on. But my question is: What are some good activities to have on the FIRST day? I want something fun, but not boring. Something that they can share during Morning Meeting when we begin our day. Thanks.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2006

Make up a wordsearch with the names of all of the students in the class.
    Have them decorate a T-shirt cut-out to tell about themself.
    Use sticky notes to create a list of as many words relating to school as they can. Use these later to create a pattern poem.
    Decorate a name plate.

6. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Aug 16, 2006

2nd graders love mazes and if you search on the net you can find some great ones.

7. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 16, 2006

www.learningpage.com has some great stuff

Membership is free. On the home page they have new stuff but in the theme stuff they have mazes and stuff. (check funpages)

I just checked and the home page is "back to school sheets":D

8. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 16, 2006

I give my students a questionaire to fill out. It asks about their summer activities, their family, what they like to do, their favorite thing about school, etc. I then keep these all year, because they can be a good source of information.

9. map

map Companion

Aug 16, 2006

Have them write a letter to last years teacher. They can write about their summer or describe their 1st day of second grade.
    Make time capsules (include a picture of self, a story about their summer, what they think 2nd grade will be like and fill out an "All About Me" page or the cost of items today.

10. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Aug 16, 2006

abcteach.com has tons of free downloadable worksheets for various subjects and agegroups.

11. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Aug 16, 2006

I've seen an All About Me bag idea where the kids bring in 5 items to share. You could either have them bring it in on the first day, or assign it the first week.

12. heart4kids

heart4kids Rookie

Aug 16, 2006

At www.puzzlemaker.com you can make a word search with the kids' names.

13. Youngteacher226

Aug 16, 2006

Great ideas everyone!! Please keep the creative juices flowing!!

14. ricksand

ricksand Rookie

Aug 16, 2006

I teach second grade and I have welcome bags on their desks when they come in. I include crayons, a piece of paper, a fun pencil, stickers, a piece of modeling clay and a book mark. Each child also has a browsing book box on their desk so they have many things to keep them occupied while I talk with parents and welcome children into the room. It really works!

15. Youngteacher226

Aug 16, 2006

What is a browsing book box? Just wondering.:)

16. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2006

I think a browsing book box is essentially a variety of different genre books for the children to browse through. I don't beleive these are leveled in any way.. I could be wrong about this.

17. Youngteacher226

Aug 16, 2006

Okay, I like that idea if that is what ricksand is referring to. Good idea!! I think I like that better than having ditto sheets for them to do. Hmmmmm......

18. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 16, 2006

In kindergarten, we placed large sheets of butcher paper on a row of desks. As students came in they could draw with markers individual pictures or work together to create a large picture...then, we let them cut out the picture to take home. A different day, we placed modeling clay on their desks and they could do whatever they wanted with the clay but had to stay at their seat. They loved both these activities!

19. ricksand

ricksand Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

You can buy cheap small baskets at the dollar store or magazine boxes at IKEA and you put leveled books in them for the children to read independently. As the year progresses, the children keep take home books and guided reading books in them for quiet time reading practice. They are a must in 1st and 2nd grade.

20. ricksand

ricksand Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

The books don't have to be leveled necessarily but of high interest for sure. As the year goes on they should have some leveled books and a variety of other types of reading ( children's magazines, class made books, scholastic reader magazines, fiction and non-fiction...).Each child has their own box or basket either on their desk or on a shelf. My sister is also a teacher and she gets the IKEA boxes and has the kids decorate them so they get to keep them at the end of the year!!

21. Youngteacher226

Aug 17, 2006

I think I am sold on that idea!! The only problem is since I am a first year teacher, I really do not have alot of resources. Resources like kids magazines, fiction and non fiction selections etc. I haven't had a chance to see what books I have in the classroom, but I hope I have a good variety to implement this activity. I'd rather have the kids reading and exploring books on the very first day to set a tone of expectation for the rest of the year. Thanks.:)

22. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Aug 17, 2006

There are new activities in THE MAILBOX magazine. You could purchase the August-September issue. This would insure you that the activity you select won't be one that was used last year!:)

23. ricksand

ricksand Rookie

Aug 20, 2006

I would go to the school librarian and ask her for help choosing books from your schools own library shelves. You can rotate the books each week. Also ask your resource teacher if there is a lending library anywhere in the school that houses leveled books.

24. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 20, 2006

I'd love to share my first day activity. It is an "All About Me" book that each child works on while I take role, collect supplies, and do various other first day tasks.

Take a look.

http://www.quia.com/pages/puzzle20.html

25. Youngteacher226

Aug 20, 2006

I like this book!! Looks interesting and I'm sure that it would keep the children busy for a while but most importantly, I think that it would spark up a good "getting to know you" discussion! But one question I have is would this be easy enough for 2nd graders?:)

26. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Aug 29, 2006

I looked at it too (and printed it) and I think that most of it would be okay for second graders except for the address part. Most of them don't know their address. Some don't even know their phone number.:confused: