First Day Activities

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Deb06, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Aug 12, 2007

Hello!

I am just wondering if anyone could share some fun activities they use on the first day of school.

I'm open for any suggestions! If you use a particular game, book, getting to know you activities etc., please post them here. :)

Thanks!

3. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

Since my school has a summer program and that is when the kids move up a grade, I did the "get to know you" stuff when the summer program started. For the summer (and maybe school year, not sure yet) I did a baseball theme in the classroom, and I had the kids made "trading cards" about themselves that I posted on the bulletin board. I took a picture of each kid and printed it out. They cut out their picture and pasted it onto a form with their name, and then pasted that onto a pre-cut piece of construction paper. I also had a form for the "back" of the card (although the two sides were not front/back but displayed side by side) where they wrote info about themselves--height, hair color, favorite subject, number of brothers/sisters, etc. I put those up as soon as the kids finished, so it was an instant bulletin board--and a way to check height requirements before going on a few of our field trips this summer, lol.

For fall, I am considering doing a "sunglasses" bulletin board where they draw/write about what they did over the summer, and maybe a time capsule type activity so they can see how they changed over the year.

4. ThirdGrade123

ThirdGrade123 Companion

Aug 14, 2007

I love the book, First Day Jitters!! I usually have the kids work on an "All About Me" activity. I keep that and return it to them in June. It's amazing to see the growth they make!

The kids love to share summer stories, so, I have them bring in a picture of something they did over the summer. They theN write a summary of that activity. I put the summaries and pics on a bulletin board with the title: Summer Snapshots.

5. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Aug 15, 2007

i'm using an activity with the book "bad cas of stripes" by david shannon. you can find it on my website www.freewebs.com/lcluigs

it's a really easy activity! something for us to break up all the procedure talk! :)

LC

6. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Aug 15, 2007

Thanks for all the ideas! :)

7. andybugg2000

andybugg2000 Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

First day fun

I do an activity every year that the students LOVE. I take copy paper and pass it out to every student. Then, I have the students write their name, one thing they are afraid of and one thing they are excited about. (I do it too...modeling) When everyone is finished we ball up our papers and have a "snowball fight" we throw the papers at each other for about 2 minutes. When time is up, we find the nearest "snowball" and one by one, we read them aloud. I find that most of the students have the same fears and we talk about those, new school, new teacher, etc. It is an awesome ice breaker and the kids remember this one forever. Plus, NO MONEY! WHOO*HOO! :)

8. wyzegal

wyzegal Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

On the first day of school, I share a "Me" bag. I put about 4-5 things in a bag that represent my interests or things that are important to me. I usually have a picture of my family, some fun scissors to show that I like scrapbooking, a plastic ice cream cone because it's my favorite snack, etc. Then I take one thing out at a time and explain it. I give the kids paper bags and then over the course of the next few days they get to share their "Me" bags. This is just a fun way to learn more about one another.

9. lwteacher

lwteacher Rookie

Aug 29, 2007

I have a game that is pretty fun. I fill out a 4x5 grid with things like "Someone who flew on a plane this summer" and "someone with the same number of brothers and sisters as me" and so on. I give them 10 minutes or so to get as many of the other kids in the class to sign on the appropriate spot, and not more than one time on a sheet. I play too. At the end, students get a skittle for every box they have signed and I go through all the boxes and we raise hands for what we could have signed.

10. jaycee

jaycee Rookie

Sep 2, 2007

Hi! Thanks for the great tips. I just want to ask how the tattle box work. I am a brand new teacher and tattling is one thing that I have observed a lot in student teaching. Thanks for your help.

11. Violet

Violet Rookie

Sep 3, 2007

I like this idea! I'm going to use it on the first day. :) I also got the book "First Day Jitters" for the first day. The kids are coming in with no supplies on the first day so I'm trying to come up with lots of activities for them to do. Luckily, we only have half days for the first week of school. I wish they were coming in prepared so we could jump into everything right away.:unsure: