First Day Activities?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by s.shaw, Jun 27, 2018.

1. s.shaw

s.shaw Rookie

Jun 27, 2018

Hello Everyone,

I am a first year teacher, I was offered a position to teach kindergarten in Florida and I accepted it so me and my family are busy getting prepared to relocate from Virginia to Florida.

I have been doing tons of research getting ideas on classroom management, ideas for centers, etc.

My question is on the first day of school what morning work do you have for students as they are entering in the classroom and parents are saying their goodbyes? I've seen suggestions on having like coloring pages or some type of worksheet but then some say that students can finish those fairly quickly and then may start to roam around the classroom.

Any suggestions for me? What type of morning work do you have for your kinders on the first day?

3. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jun 27, 2018

I used to have a coloring sheet that I did each year as the transition in. However, it did often lead to kids being done early and the ones who were already sad started crying even more with nothing to do. Last year I changed and put manipulatives on each table. Legos, unifix cubes, magnet builders, etc.. It was so much better. Plus, if one table seemed a little bored and I was still talking to parents or helping someone get settled, then I just switched out their box for a different activity. I still do a “My first day in Kindergarten” coloring sheet, just later in the day.

4. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Jun 27, 2018

On the first day I put out block, puzzles, coloring sheet, and other manipulative. I let the students choose a seat and speak to parents while they explore. As the year progresses I teach the students about the morning routine that include using a journal for morning work.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  5. s.shaw

s.shaw Rookie

Jun 28, 2018

Thank you for the responses! I will definitely use your suggestions.

6. Somayeh

Somayeh Rookie

Sep 30, 2018

Just happy

7. Somayeh

Somayeh Rookie

Sep 30, 2018

I am somayeh ,preschool maneger,whatsapp nomber is 00989132073990
    Send me a massege,I tell you

8. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Oct 3, 2018

While I would not do this for my class, I have come up with an idea for the first day of school.
    Students could create vision boards.