First Chapter Book of the Year

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by sophie1, Sep 5, 2009.

1. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Sep 5, 2009

What will your first chapter book of the year be? Also, do you start your year with any special back to school book (not a chapterbook)? Thanks!

3. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Sep 5, 2009

I start every year with Sideways Stories from Wayside School. The chapters are short and stories within themselves, and the book is engaging. It gives me an idea of how well my group does with sitting still and listening through chapter books, and helps me when deciding what other books I'll read that year.

4. LAH2

LAH2 Companion

Sep 5, 2009

I always read First Day Jitters to my students on the first day of school. I LOVE Sideways Stories from Wayside School. I read it every year to my students as a read aloud. My students always love it and can't wait until it's time to read it again. We usually read Flat Stanley together as a class near the beginning of the year.

5. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Sep 5, 2009

it just depends on what I grab...i started this year with Ralph S. Mouse...i always read the sideways books, a ramona book, stewart little, Mr. Men series, black lagoon series and that's all I can think of from the top of my head...

6. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Sep 5, 2009

Do you mean the first chapter book I read to the class, or the first chapter book the children read? The first chapter book my students read is an easy version of the "Bunnicula" books. I think the easy series is called "Bunnicula and Friends". They also read "The Magic Finger" by Roald Dahl. Both are fairly easy chapter books, but fun! One of the first chapter books I read to my class (because I love it!) is "My Father's Dragon".

7. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2009

The 1st chapter book I read was "Miss Daisy is Crazy"

Now I'm reading "Ramona Quimby Age 8" and they can't get enough of it.

I want to do a Little House book soon, but I try and alternate books with boys or girls as main characters, so that one might have to wait...

8. amyd

amyd Rookie

Sep 7, 2009

When do you guys fit in the reading of a chapter book? I really want to but not sure where to put it.

9. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2009

Those 5 mins before lunch, before the end of the day or whenever there is that little bit of time that you don't have time to do anything else but gather and read a chapter book.

Or maybe after recess and/or lunch during a cool-down period. I read while certain groups take rr/water break. It makes them want to hurry and get back to class so they don't miss the book.

10. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Sep 10, 2009

i read every day after lunch so they can cool down...they are allowed to lay on the carpet, sit at their desks with their head down, etc