First Bulletin Board/Welcome Bulletin Board

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherApr, Jul 29, 2010.

1. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 29, 2010

I always have a hard time creating something for a first time hallway bulletin board greeting and introducing students and the grade.

I want to decorate according to the title and then create some kind of object with each student's name in it.

Figured "Stupid for 2nd grade" wouldn't be appropriate but it made me laugh when I thought of it :lol: I have a weird sense of humor heh

What are the rest of you doing for your first bulletin board?

3. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2010

I started on mine today. I did it last year, too. I cover the hallway board with black paper, put a very colorful pencil border on it, and the word "Welcome!" in bright letters in the middle. Then I use fabric paint to paint all their names on the board. I use bright neons and lime green, electric blue, etc. I write their names in different fonts. Then I cover in the empty spaces with graffiti type drawings. I like it. After it dries, you can run your fingers over the letters.

I leave it up all year and put student work up over it. If you do it, leave a few blank spaces for new students who come in.

And it takes awhile to dry.

4. aThriftyTeacher

aThriftyTeacher Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

This year I'm doing a western theme....so my bulletin outside my room is going to say WANTED: MS. F'S FIRST GRADERS! I'm going to have all of their names written on mini wanted posters and I bought a cowboy hat and bandana to take their pics in. Then I'll print them out and put them on their individual wanted signs!

Last year I did a movie star theme and my banner was MS F's CLASS: STARRING and each child had their names on a star. I bought a boa, a top hat, and sun glasses for them. They got to pick whatever they wanted in their movie star pic...I even had some little boys who wanted the boa...it was cute! Then each pic went up by their stars. My other faculty members loved it...so hopefully this year's western theme will be just as adorable!

5. sharon122

sharon122 Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

Thank you, Thrifty, for the movie star idea. I think I will use it for my bulletin board!

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2010

We are doing a football theme. My co-teacher is a huge Giants fan and I'm an Eagles fan :lol: Our welcome bboard will say "Are you ready for some 3rd grade?" (like the Monday Night Song..."Are you ready for some football?"). It will feature a green background with yardlines. each kid is going to have a helmet with his/her name on it.

Our cubby tags are going to be footballs. And I just thought yesterday to make our job bboard as small footballs for their names and each job be a goal post and the title would be "Field Goal Helpers" or something like that. :)

7. aThriftyTeacher

aThriftyTeacher Rookie

Jul 30, 2010

Glad I could help! I'm sure it'll be cute! I used black paper for the background and then cut red butcher paper to look like curtains on the side...so it was like a stage!

8. sharon122

sharon122 Rookie

Jul 31, 2010

Oh, that is so cute!

9. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 31, 2010

I am also doing a movie theme. The title of the board is "WELCOME! Meet the STARS of the L.A.P. Room". L.A.P. Room is the name of my classroom. If I had a grade I would put "Meet the Stars of Grade ?"

I will put a picture of each student up with their names on colored paper so it is framed and put a few stars throughout.

On the bottom of the board, I'm going to put a wavey filmstrip saying "Our Production Crew" and put all the pictures of the staff as I have myself and 9 learning assistants working in my room.

Over the first couple of weeks, my students are going to be workign on an issue of our classroom "Biography" magazine and then these magazines will be printed off and displayed with the board :).

10. AKitchin

AKitchin Companion

Jul 31, 2010

Any ideas for an ocean theme? We did Jungle last year and had "Roar into 5th grade" What would be good for oceans?

11. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2010

We're making a splash! (Use colorful surfboards.)

12. teacher_ajw86

teacher_ajw86 Rookie

Jul 31, 2010

I am doing a "super-learner" theme. They are subject based superheros that I drew and painted. They are all over my room and outside I have one flying titled "Captain K" (I teacher kinder) and with bb letters I wrote Welcome Super Learners. All of the kids have a lightening bolt like whats on the cape with their name on it.

13. Couldntbhappier

Couldntbhappier Rookie

Jul 31, 2010

Making waves in 5th grade!
    Make a splash in 5th grade!
    Diving into 5th grade!

14. BES2010

BES2010 Rookie

Jul 31, 2010

I have decided to do a nature theme this year. Focusing mainly on plants, trees, leaves, vines and things. I will still incorporate flowers, insects, fruits/veggies (garden stuff) if needed.

My hallway welcome board is going to say "Welcome to the fourth grade GREENEhouse" Greene is my last name, lol. So I am putting up a blue background and a big tree with movable leaf flaps. Under some of the flaps and all over the tree will be red apples with each students name. Then I will take some white strips on paper and make a house frame around the tree. The name tags on their lockers are leaves. I haven't decided which of my borders I will use yet, probably the one that looks like grass or maybe even the flowers with bees (since they pollinate the plants in a greenhouse).

15. BES2010

BES2010 Rookie

Jul 31, 2010

"Swim on into to 5th grade, where learning is cool" - corny, i know
    "Jump into to 5th grade and make a splash"
    "it's time to sink or swim in 5th grade" - lol, i know so wrong

16. AKitchin

AKitchin Companion

Aug 1, 2010

BES2010, sink or swim would have worked last year... my kids were SOOO unmotivated!

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 1, 2010

Riding the learning wave!
    Surf into 5th grade

18. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 1, 2010

I have a few different welcome back BBs I cycle through. One says Welcome to a Magical Year and has lots of stars and things like that. One is Fishing for Facts in 5th Grade and has a kid fishing. I put the students' names on fish cutouts swimming in the pond. Another is the TEAM acronym with their names on different balls. My best was monkey cutouts swinging from vines. The kids' names were on the monkeys, and the title was Swing on into 5th Grade.This year I found a bunch of character sayings (stick with it, kindness works wonders, etc) and plan on doing something with them. I am not sure what I'll write their names on though.

19. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Aug 1, 2010

I am using backpack glyphs to introduce the students. But I need an idea for a title. I have thought about Look Who's in the First Grade Pack. But I was trying to think of something a little more cutesy.

You all have had awesome ideas but I already have the backpacks made. We did them last year in Step Up Day.