First assignment first day of school - 3rd grade!!! Help!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ffull1, Jul 14, 2009.

1. ffull1

ffull1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

In the Wong book he suggests having an assignment already on the desk for students to start working on upon entering the classroom on the 1st day. I am teaching 3rd grade - any good ideas for this assignment? Thanks!

3. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2009

you could do a mix between fun packet and easy 2nd grade work to build their confidence level.

4. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2009

I typically put out a word search or two. I also have the "Welcome Back to School" challenge on the board where they try to come up with as many words as they can. You could also have stations set up for supplies (boxes work great). Just label where each supply should go and they can unpack their backpack first thing. Make sure you have a note or give a direction that anything they don't see a box for, they should keep at their desk.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 14, 2009

I don't teach elementary, but on my high schooler's desks is an "All about Me" form with questions like - I am good at .. I hate ..., I learn best when ...., It is difficult for me to learn when ..., The person I admire most ....., When I hear the word History I think ....,

All in all, I think there is about 20 questions for them to answer. This gives me time to do all the first day admin stuff and find out a lot about my students. Maybe you could tweak this to use with 3rd graders - drawing their three most favorite things, word search, cross word puzzle about their new third grade room,

6. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

I think that I am going to have a get to know the teacher quiz for students to fill out right away. As well as a blank notecard for students to write three facts about themselves. I saw this idea maybe on a to z--where you read 1-3 notecards a day and read the first fact. (My hair is brown) all the students who do NOT have that fact/attribute sit down. Then you continue with the remaining 2 facts and see who is standing up at the end! I thought that was a really neat activity.

7. PenguinPie

PenguinPie Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

I have an About Me Puzzle that the kiddos (5th grade) get started on answering the questions and coloring each piece. Since they filter in over about a 35 minute time period, it's a long enough activity and they enjoy it. I also make sure I have instructions on the board regarding where to put their things and what to do.

8. SadieLady

SadieLady Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

All About Me Puzzle

Penguin Pie, are you able to post that activity? Sounds fun!

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2009

MrsHoot~I was going to do an activity like that, but w/o having them stand up. That's a great addition.

INteacher~I would love to look at the survey. I've been trying to think of questions. I'll PM you my email address. Thanks!

10. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2009

I hand out a word search that contains the names of all the students in my classroom.

It reinforces familiarity, and makes each student feel special.

I also have an "all-about-me" activity, and fun worksheets that allow me to see what level students are at.

11. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Jul 15, 2009

I used to teach 3rd grade and used to have a "back to school" word search / coloring sheet for the first day. After the first day I always had a skill-builder sheet that corresponded with something we were working on.

12. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2009

I have a letter from one of last year's students on their desk, and they also have a puzzle piece to write their name on and color. I make a puzzle myself in whatever shape I choose, and we put it together after they put their name and decorate it.

13. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 15, 2009

I have my "All About Me" booklet on their desk for them to begin working on. (Those of you who got it off my website last year, I've converted it to a PDF this year.) I did this when I taught 3rd too.

The reason I like this booklet as the first assignment is this -- if the child is not a good reader, they can still do parts of it. If they don't know what to do on one page, they can flip to another. (You'd be shocked who many 2nd and 3rd graders have no idea what their address is!!!!!!! You can just say "Do a different part and I'll help you in a little bit." so you can continue to greet students and parents who are just arriving.)

If you'd like the link, just let me know.

I also have a crayon box at each table or group of desks -- because some students won't have them on the first day. I actually have students (or parents) put ALL the student's supplies in a large brown bag as they walk in, and tell them to please use what I already have on their desk, and in a few minutes we will go through their supplies together. Otherwise, you will have a million requests --- Can I sharpen this pencil? I can't get my crayon box to open? Can I use my markers (no! They will soak through to the back side and ruin it!) or just crayons? etc. No matter what, they don't get into those supply bags until I'm ready! They are to use the two sharp pencils and the box of crayons I put on each desk! (I have a container of sharpened pencils in case both break -- nobody is going to use my pencil sharpener until we've gone over the procedures for how to use it.)

When I'm ready (after everyone has been greeted and parents have all left -- and after our first morning meeting where I explain pencil procedures and such) I call them over to my table one at a time and see what they have. I put anything I don't want them to have right back in their bookbag to "keep at home." (Things like pencil sharpers with no shavings compartment, or huge pencil boxes that won't fit in our desks.) I collect the things that are community supplies, label any personal supplies that the parent hasn't labeled, and show the student how to store it in their desk.)

14. ffull1

ffull1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2009

yes...i would love to see the link!!! thanks!

15. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 16, 2009

http://www.quia.com/pages/jthomas/page15

Scroll down to the "Beginning of the Year" section (it is towards the bottom) and there it is.

Enjoy!

16. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 16, 2009

I have taught third grade for three years now. Hopefully this will help you.

I also do an all about me booklet that is similar to the one that is posted. I have done those big all about me posters in the past as well that you can buy from scholastic when I am lucky enough to find them at the dollar store. The kids do this while everyone is arriving and I am taking all the administrative tasks down.

Next, we unpack and sort supplies. I go over what a clean desk looks like and explain that I expect the desks to look like this:
    http://www.mspowell.com/organizingkids.html

After going over some other basics like rules and behavior plan. I read a book called "First Day Jitters." We discuss how the first day of school makes everyone nervous and yada yada. I use this as a segway to have students share what they did for summer break and introduce themselves. Then we do calendar and the morning routine.

On the first day I also take a handwriting sample and have the student write the ABC's and numbers 1-20 on a sheet of notebook paper. You would be amazed at how many kids come into third grade not knowing how to use a piece of notebook paper or how to hold a pencil correctly. I have to start teaching cursive so it is important that I know where they are at with these basics. I use this sample to build their writing portfolios.

Another activity I do on the first day is a measurement activity for math time where the kids mark on a sheet of receipt paper how tall they are. At the end of the year, I take their heights again and they are always excited to see how much they grow.

17. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 16, 2009

Julie,
    I really like your poster. We have table drawers rather than desks, but I may have to make a poster like yours for those drawers.

Great idea! Thanks.

18. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 16, 2009

Thanks. The poster is by ms. Powell the owner of the website. It has been a helpful resource.