First apartment stress

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ST13, Dec 31, 2015.

1. ST13

ST13 Companion

Dec 31, 2015

hello!

So for the past few months I've been dealing with mice in my apartment. My landlord lives upstairs and has done the bare minimum. It took begging and pleading for him to agree to hire a pest control company and when they mentioned the problem was also in HIS apartment he was in total denial. We have traps and the pest control guy put bait but I Am worried that my landlord is in such denial he will not keep up with the Maintenon of routinely checks and really getting this problem taken care of.

I'm a first year teacher and just moved this year for a job....so I am just so stressed out.

Any advice?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2015

I'd get some legal advice about breaking your rental agreement and look for a new place to live

Caesar753 and yellowdaisies like this.
  4. ST13

ST13 Companion

Dec 31, 2015

I feel like that is my only option. Luckily my landlord has told me I am free to break the lease, but I worry about when I find another apartment at a complex the only lease I'll be able to afford is 12 month. I am not sure if I want to stay in the state for next year because I am thinking of trying to find a job closer to home so I'm worried if I get a 12 month lease now it will be very expensive to break it if I decide to move in June.

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 31, 2015

Although it tends to be more expensive, getting an apartment in a complex run by a management company tends to avoid some of these issues I've heard about at smaller places. We've never dealt with a "landlord," meaning a single person; we've always dealt with a maintenance staff and an office staff. At all the apartments I've lived in (I've lived in several), I've never had problems. All our issues have been dealt with promptly. Just for the future when you're apartment hunting.

If I were planning to move in June, I would probably stick it out, unfortunately. 6 month leases around here are uncommon and very expensive.

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. One of my good friends has a landlord who sounds a lot like yours. I think your best bet right now is to just constantly be on him. Be a thorn in his side so he does what needs to be done. Maybe even write a nasty (accurate) online review of the place after you leave to warn others... ;)

otterpop likes this.
  6. ST13

ST13 Companion

Dec 31, 2015

Thank you unfortunately I think I will have to stick it out . It is just so frustrating. As a first year teacher I have so much on my plate already and I understand unfortunately these things are a part of life but it just angers me that he seems to not think this an issue. ... I think if he would just do what needs to be done properly without me badgering him we could all get on with our lives.

yellowdaisies likes this.
  7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2015

In which ase I'd contract with an exterminator and write the expense off my rent every month....

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2016

Many towns have a city department that deals with housing issues. You could see if your town has something like that. Of course, if you get the town involved he may kick you out. But, you can't live with the disease you might be encountering with rodents.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 1, 2016

And get a cat. Or two.

MLB711, yellowdaisies and bella84 like this.
  10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2016

I hate to say it... But if you are in the country & it is cold the mice come to where it is warm. It is gross...but you know they can fit into the tiniest spots...like they need only a whole the size of a pencil. We do all we can & we still get a few. Which is awful because I always feel like I am cleaning!!!
    Check for spots you may notice. Put some steel wool or a Sos brillo pad. I know landlords job, but it may help too.

11. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jan 1, 2016

I got a cat when I had a mouse problem at one of my apartments several years ago. Never had another mouse problem ever again.

otterpop likes this.
  12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 1, 2016

When I was young, I lived in a 400 year old apartment in Puerto Rico. I went out on the streets and caught two cats and they solved the problem very well. It was quite an experience.

otterpop likes this.
  13. ST13

ST13 Companion

Jan 1, 2016

The thing is they are coming into my kitchen drawers so I don't even know where the holes would be

I've considered getting a cat but I've also heard stories of cats not helping with mice problems

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 1, 2016

Not all cats are hunters. Our apartment is always bug free because of our female cat, but our male cat doesn't help at all. He just watches her catch the bugs.

I think a cat is a great idea, but don't get a cat just for that. Remember, cats live at least 15 years. It's a long term commitment beyond this problem. I'm a huge cat person, so I just had to give my 2 cents about that.

bella84 likes this.
  15. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jan 1, 2016

Totally agree with all of this.

I should clarify that neither of my cats have ever hunted a mouse. It seems that, in my case anyway, just having the scent of a cat keeps the mice away. And, yeah, cats are great but you should only adopt one if you're an animal person and want to have one around for awhile. I had been wanting to adopt a pet anyway and was already volunteering at the humane society when I adopted my cat. It's was just luck that it coincided well with the mouse problem I was having.

yellowdaisies likes this.
  16. ST13

ST13 Companion

Jan 1, 2016

I love animals but to be honest I don't have the time or money to be taking care of a cat.

17. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 1, 2016

I wonder if it is just the scent! Interesting! I'll be that's true. I really can't even see my female cat, who is a hunter, knowing how to deal with a mouse. She might be able to catch it, but I think she would be pretty clueless after that...

18. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 1, 2016

Set traps and get a set of electronic devices (about $25) made to deter mice. Please don't get glue traps though as the animal doesn't die immediately.

I have a ranch that is a second home of a sort and we have to be vigilant about mice in the house since we do store some food there (in tubs) and rats in the shop where our cattle feed is stored. Traps and the electronic things seem to keep things under control. Our kitties come with us when we are staying more than a few days but they never seem to think a mouse is in the house so it's working and my kitties are hunters.

Peanut butter seems to be the favorite of country mice.

19. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 1, 2016

My cat won't even go after bugs. He likes to watch them, but that's it. He doesn't even make a move toward them. Luckily I've never had a mouse, but I'm pretty sure he'd just watch that too!

20. ST13

ST13 Companion

Jan 1, 2016

Yeah I have the snap traps and have caught a few with that.

21. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 1, 2016

LOL that is exactly how my big male cat is. He just stares. Our female cat catches and eats bugs whenever she sees them. She seems to especially love flies.

22. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 2, 2016

They say they don't like peppermint or dryer sheets!! You could try that...

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 2, 2016

It's nice that youw ere able to do this to get rid of your mice. :) Even though this is a solution, the OP shouldn't have to all all that. It's tough when the LL is in denial & won't budge & take action. I haven't had to go through anything like this so far, so I wish you the best.

I rent from a corporation, not a private LL & even though you can rent month-to-month, the rent will probably be different (higher) every month. Some corporate-owned complexes might have a 6-month lease, but it's pretty much non-existent as far as I know.

24. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 2, 2016

The last place we lived had hilarious (because it was so insane) pricing for leases less than 11 months. I think the month to month lease was fully double our monthly rent on a 12 month lease. That was a corporation, too - I've never actually rented from a private landlord.

25. ST13

ST13 Companion

Jan 2, 2016

Thanks guys! I've tried everything .... I'm not really sure if it worked cause they did stop for a few weeks but maybe I just wasn't checking the right spots!

It just pisses me off because I try so hard to be a really good tenant (aLways pay rent on time, barely home because of work, don't make a lot of noise or complain ) So you would think he would want to help me out and make me feel more comfortable!

26. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Jan 5, 2016

I would think the landlord would want the mice gone because they eat insulation. Getting rid of mice is important upkeep of owner's property. I would kindly suggest getting a professional exterminator and deducting cost from rent. I think a previous poster put it, but I'd run it by landlord first.

27. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Jan 5, 2016

oh - just saw that initial visit was done (sorry - didn't read clearly) In a couple of months the company might remind homeowner to set appointment, but if they don't maybe you can prod them to do so? Funny that they didn't think they had mice. ...what the heck do they think is scurrying in their walls?!

28. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 5, 2016

You mentioned that you couldn't get a 12 month lease - would you be willing to rent a room in someone's home or apartment? Many times you can find a room with a private bathroom for a very decent price. If you're just looking to make it 6 more months, it could be a decent option.

29. ST13

ST13 Companion

Jan 18, 2016

Hi everyone thanks for your feedback. Thankfully the pest control came and his treatment has been working. However of course my landlord says he will not pay any more for treatment. He is just so irrational and does not seem to care that thiS is a problem.

At this point there is no use in moving out if I'm not sure whether or not I am staying in the area, however if I do decide to stay at my current job I can guarantee I will not be living here.