First a death threat, now I'm fired.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teachin4ever, Jun 12, 2011.

1. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jun 12, 2011

Well, okay, technically I didn't get fired. But my P decided not to renew my contract. Along with FIVE other teachers. He gave no reason. He said, and very snidely I might add, that he doesn't have to give a reason since they are an at-will community and it's only a one year contract. What kills me is that the reason I was let go is because he doesn't like me personally. It has nothing to do with my teaching. As a matter of fact, I double checked all my evaluations over the course of the three years and I got very goods and excellents on everything. He even told me a month ago what an outstanding teacher I was and that he has no areas of concerns regarding my teaching.

This P is a control freak and doesn't like teachers who question decisions he has made. I questioned a few things, always respectfully, and it always ended with him getting an attitude with me. Very unprofessional.

The good news...the parents are FURIOUS!! I have gotten over 30 emails from parents letting me know that they have requested meetings to meet with the P and the priest about their stupid decision to let the five of us go. My seventh grade class even sent a really long, respectful and well-written letter stating reasons why I'm a great teacher and that they demand I be hired back. Many families have left the parish already because of the decision and apparently, they are having some kind of a town hall meeting about all this. One parent said they are calling the local news station and a young group of girls plan on having a peaceful protest at the school this week to encourage the administration to rethink their decision.

I am in awe at how big a fuss the parents are making over my contract not being renewed. It is so humbling and heart warming to know the kind of impact I've had on this community and my students. There is now way in heck I would every go back and work with those backstabbing teachers, but at least I can hold my head high knowing that did what I intended to do - I created relationships with my students and inspired them to stand up for what is right, even if it means you're standing all alone.

Thanks for reading...I just needed to get all this off my chest. The past two days have been incredibly emotional.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2011

I'm sorry, that is terrible news. Were all three of your years at the same school with the same principal?

4. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jun 12, 2011

mopar,

Thank you. All three of my years were at the same school with the same principal. I'm told it's unusual to have a principal that horrible, but I'm really skeptical now. I never knew people could be so vindictive, especially someone who prides himself on being Catholic. This whole experience has really made me questions many things.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 12, 2011

That's so frustrating. I'm glad the parents are at least speaking out in support of you. Even if it doesn't make a difference, it should make you feel better. Keep any records of their support for when you go on job interviews at other schools! :)

6. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jun 12, 2011

Thanks, bandnerdtx!! I most definitely will!

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 12, 2011

I would REALLY talk to a labor lawyer. Even if you were at-will, the timing with the student threats and the principal's insistence that you just deal with it would raise legal eyebrows.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2011

I am so sorry to hear this!! I'm glad the parents are rallying behind you though.

9. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2011

I love that the parents are backing you! Yay to you for being an awesome teacher!!! I pray you find a better situation soon!

10. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2011

I am sorry for everything you have been going through, but it must be heartwarming to know parents feel you are a great teacher. I have worked in a school like that where the principal was such a control freak the only favored ones were those who never questioned anything. It is not a good environment. It will be interesting to see what happens. Keep us updated and good luck.

11. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jun 12, 2011

Sorry you are going through everything, but congrats on having made such a positive impact on the kids!

12. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jun 12, 2011

Thanks, everyone. It's a tough situation. On one hand, I'm super relieved to be rid of that negative environment and that control freak of a principal. On the other hand, I will really miss my students, the parents, and teaching every day.

And it really sucks to be back looking for a teaching job in this economy. :(

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 12, 2011

Because you are an at-will employee you can be fired at any time for any reason, which includes no reason.

The good news is that since this happened at the end of the year you were not "fired". Your contract was up. As an at-will employee your contract is non-renewable. So therefore, you can honestly say you've not been fired or asked to resign or have your contract non-renewed.

I don't understand it myself, but that is how is has been explained to me.

14. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jun 12, 2011

I'm glad you are still safe and sound. I have been so concerned for your safety.

I'm sad that you are in the job hunt and most especially for the snide way in which it was handled.

I'm glad that your parents and students recognize quality. Perhaps they are wise enough to recognize the P's lack of fairness and discernment and you can regain your job and he can find a different school.

:hugs:

15. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jun 12, 2011

Unfortunately, you have run into the latest management technique for school administrators in 2011. No communication, arrogance, in many cases - outright lying, and general lack of interest in what the teaching staff thinks.

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 12, 2011

Three points I agree with...

1. Even if nothing else comes of it, having that much support should give you confidence that you are in fact a good teacher and your impact was felt.

2. I find the threat and the firing to be questionable and even if it an at will place, I might too want to ask a lawyer about any potential for abused legalities here.

3. It's good that it isn't a "fired" circumstance. That should go in your favor. I hope that you find a much more favorable place of employment.

17. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2011

You can go to a labor lawyer. I wouldn't necessarily expect all that much based on what you've indicated here, but there may be other things that give you a better case.

It's true that at-will employees can be fired for "any" reason, or no reason. Employers can fire someone simply for not liking them. The main caveat to this is that they cannot be fired for a prohibited reason (mostly, discrimination around race/religion/marital status, and specifically religious schools may be able to get around even some of these). A court also may not take a glib, "I just didn't like the person" in the absence of documentation and the possibility of one of these prohibited reasons as an accusation.