Fired

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by hawkeye, May 7, 2008.

1. hawkeye

hawkeye Companion

May 7, 2008

I got fired today and am crying need some encouragement - she gave no explanation but just said she was an at will employer..... And that I "wasnt working out"

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 7, 2008

Oh, hawkeye, I am so sorry that this happened to you!! :hugs:

4. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 7, 2008

I'm sorry to hear about that. -hugs-

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 7, 2008

sorry hawk...

but you are not alone, you've got a friend...

they let me go yesterday :unsure:

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 7, 2008

Oh my gosh, MPK!!! :hugs: to you too!

Did they give you a reason?

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 7, 2008

Hawkeye, I'm sorry. Sometimes the "at will" thing makes people reluctant to give a reason. It seems so unfair - you don't even know what happened. Here's a hug.

8. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 7, 2008

I'm so sorry, Hawkeye.

9. hawkeye

hawkeye Companion

May 7, 2008

Master - What happened???

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 7, 2008

I have a some dreaded disease that only seems to allow a company to hire me for 3 months, then let me go. I truly believe these places only want me for my Type 04 (Illinois early childhood certificate)...public school and private...it is all the same at this point.

I must be wearing a sign that says kick me.

No, I had no warning, no letter...nothing...

told me at the end of the day....

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 7, 2008

*hugs* to both of you!!!!!!!!

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 7, 2008

Just said they wanted to see me at the end of the day.

"We decided it is in our best interests that we end your employment today."

Do I you have letter telling me why? Do I have a check??

"You will receive correspondence from human resources."

At least I have a full tank of gas.

and my cable bill is paid...so all I can do is listen to my old favorite music..

and watch the election results
    and Maury Povich
    and Jerry Springer
    and all the court tv shows...

OMG...this is so ridiculous!

at least I can turn the heat on. It's supposed to drop to 40 degrees tomorrow. I got my own place..nobody can shut it off...

for now..... :|

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 7, 2008

I'm so sorry for the both of you. That's horrible. Well, after I was forced to resgin, I did some soul searching and I know something better will come out of it. I hope that the same will happen to you too.

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 7, 2008

thanks guys....

Hawkeye...I know it is hard..but you will make it....take this time to talk and share...

We have to take this time to vent, because when you are still upset...It is written all over your face, you are worried...mad, confused...and still need to find something ASAP!

15. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

May 7, 2008

I can't belive it! I am so sorry for both of you.

Can someone please tell me why this is okay?

If "we" decided it's in "our " best interest to terminate your job today, shouldn't "we" dignify you with some kind of explanation, right now when we give you this difficult news? If it is so necessary to terminate your job today, right now, can't they at least get their act together and have this letter written up, today, right now?

Ok, I know I'm overreacting, I'm just frustrated for you guys.

16. hawkeye

hawkeye Companion

May 7, 2008

Well - The good news is I have a high potential to start a new job on monday with more pay. BUT its a daycare (SOrry for any non-religious people this offends..) But I am going to have to pray. This is the third one I have lost in 6 months - all due to either parent complaints, people skills, etc... Maybe God does not have me in a daycare. I AM ALmost a paramedic......But I love kids.... and I love teaching

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 7, 2008

been there...I think we are in the same boat..

people skills??? let me guess, you are a person and they think you are different?

yeah...that's what you said...they said..you weren't working out

let us try to see something in this nothing...

You are not working out - is this a gym?
    You are not a good fit - what am I... a dress?
    I think you can grow somewhere else - I am a plant?
    The parents have concerns - am I teaching and watching parents?
    You take off too many days - you don't like me, and I am trying to give you a break!

I'm telling you guys, I am seriously looking in to medical billing. :unsure:

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 7, 2008

you are not overreacting...and this is NOT okay

right people in wrong place and worst possible time

actually tulips..I got a letter like that.

Boss says, They need to see you in HR.

Seven words you never want to hear!

Two people sitting there ...they are scared of me now? :confused: Hand me this letter. "We have decided that it is best to end your position during this probabationary period. Final check is attached."

And...gas was $4.00 a gal in CA back then. Had to drive in the heat, across freeway at 4 in afternoon! They could have just told me to go straight there in the am!!! :mad:

19. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

May 7, 2008

Hawkeye and MPK, I am so sorry for the both of you!

20. hawkeye

hawkeye Companion

May 8, 2008

I seriouslky do question - I mean my heart is in the EMS field as well. The thing is - I work with kids at my church and have never had issues of any kind... I can HONESTLY say I did not pray about it before I took this job, I just jumped into it because I was needing money bad.... I may not take the new job i9f Im offered it monday - I will do some serious praying and see if GOD really wants me working with ki9ds, because if not - it won't ever work. PS I did work at my first daycare ever for 4 years, incident free...

21. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 8, 2008

Anyone who is terminated should have had some discussions regarding their job performance so that they might have an idea why they are "let go."

Although employers are an at will agency, they still must maintain some documentation as to your "less than acceptable" performance. If you want to get nasty, ask for a copy of your file.

Anyway, I would not like to work for an agency that takes this kind of drastic step without first warning and working with the teacher. So, consider yourself lucky--unemployment?
    And, you have left a program that does not value their staff. There is something else out there.

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 8, 2008

Hugs to both of you. What a rotten way to let you go. What is wrong with admins???? :confused:

23. sue35

sue35 Habitué

May 8, 2008

Yes, hugs to both of you. In the business world this would never happen, being fired and not given a reason. I feel like it is all politics and it is not fair that good teachers have to suffer because of it

24. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 8, 2008

probation...

the prenuptial contract in employment...

we have the right to end employoment at any given time without notice without cause or reason during the probabtionary period.

translation...we will try you out, to meet compliance for our program, and if our staff doesn't like you, we will hire somebody else and just boot you out the door.

Wouldn't it just be easier if they told us we were temporary employees?

:confused:

hawkeye, if you will use this employer on your application, practice your speech in the mirror, and with friends and family before your interview... something like this...

I was release from my last position during probation. I enjoyed the program and the children were great.

I personally leave out these jobs, because they are too short, and I can't give a good explanation without getting emotional. It is makes me mad and I know they will be suspicious. I don't consider it as lying on my application..this is my justification:

I simply put the most substantial, and revelant positions on the application. My gaps in employment were due to substitute work and completing my education.

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 8, 2008

thanks for the hugs...

hawkeye..where are you.??

don't wanna hog your post... :(

26. hawkeye

hawkeye Companion

May 9, 2008

IM here sorry.... doing laundry. Well - The ONLY one I put on the app was the one I was in good standing with for 4 years and left on good terms.......

27. time2teach

time2teach Companion

May 9, 2008

Actually in the business world it does happen. I've had it happen to me. I've seen it happen to others. I was the only one NOT on probation and got let go with no warning what so ever. (years ago....) And politics happen everywhere....daycare, religious organizations/schools, small businesses, huge corporations. So sorry to hear it happened to 2 of you in 2 days.

Hoping that new doors open and you find a great, fantastic job!!

28. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 9, 2008

ok, it's official...they only want me for my body

So, I go on this interview...deep in the heart of gang territory.

Interviewer tells me...get this, because I will post it all over this board..

"I'm gonna be honest with you, I didn't even know your name...I just looked at your resume and saw TYPE 04 (IL early childhood teacher certificate), and said whoa..I gotta call this person. I didn't even read the rest."

So she tells me about the job...oh first ..I waited outside to see the circus evolving. Kids everywhere, cook brings in food with cell phone on her shoulder, toys everywhere. No, I would not leave my ex cowokers in this building. (on second thought..) Back in the interview she tells me about the wonderful crew she has taken over, and (uh...wasn't I just on a job like this?) and she wants me to come in and help set them straight..(OMG...I just went thru this) and don't worry if they don't listen because she is going to be there...

And then

A parent comes to the door, and two minutes later a teacher comes and a fight breaks between teacher and parent!

She calls 911

Tells me thanks, and she will call me later if I am still interested.

Is there anywhere in this town where I can still make $40k and not deal with this insanity? :help:

29. time2teach

time2teach Companion

May 9, 2008

OH my goodness a fight right there and calling 911???
    And the "I don't even know your name I just saw your certicate qualifications." Thats kinda like saying I don't care about you, I just want your certificate....

Well if those are not signs to NOT take the job, I don't know what are!?!?!

30. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 9, 2008

that's it..that is it!!!

and I am so upset..I spent half my life in school, trying to do what I love..only to be reduced to a piece of paper.

it is insane...no matter where I go, nobody really wants me to do anything!

:(

I would rather be in some office doing data entry at this point...

31. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 9, 2008

Wow. That is a hilarious and terribly sad story, all in one. Where they physically fighting?

32. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 9, 2008

name calling, in each other's faces..."oh hecky naw..."

I was NOT waiting for punches to fly!

33. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 9, 2008

Don't say THAT. I left that kind of job to go back to teaching. Good thing, too, since my former company is now so poor it's getting rid of its retirement plan...

Hang in there. You will know when you're supposed to stay and love the kids.:love:

34. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

May 9, 2008

I am so sorry to hear this. This is the second time I have heard about a teacher being let go in a so called "at will" state.

35. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

May 9, 2008

:hugs: So sorry to hear this .

36. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 9, 2008

cat...you haven't been following my year long search for sanity...

this is the 4th job in less than 6 months! I know teaching is my love, but this field has changed! They only want certified teachers but they have no intention to let me do anything. They literally want me to sit there and play dead. The minute I open my mouth or write a lesson plan, I'm outta there. Or worse, some teacher aide from he$$ terrorizes me to the point of leaving. Nobody does anything. I am so tired of this.

My goal is to have some customer service/medical billing job at night, and be an aide or teach college during the day. I'm not giving up, but I am fed up! :|

37. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 9, 2008

thanks jv...

38. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 9, 2008

Sometimes you just need to step back for a few months. I left my terrible job in February and became an admin. assistant at a very slow, easy going office. There are only three of us, my boss is hilarious, and I can use the PDF scanner for my website before work. I'm really ready to get back into the classroom, but I REALLY needed the break. It's given me a chance to reflect on my philosophy, do research and build the website. So if it's a short term fix, then yes, it's sometimes needed. I wish you the best, MPK.

I'm a little confused about your certification, though. I don't want to hijack the thread, but can you explain why you're so valuable? Not that I doubt that you are. ;) I've just never heard of that code before.

39. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 9, 2008

no problem jem..

In CA...my credential states I am able to elementary school and ...otherwise known as a standard certificate..(well, preliminary..since I did not complete requirements for clear credential)

In IL...we have different levels. Type 04 is for ages zero to 8 or preschool to 3rd. (Similiar to CA's Child Care Permit) The next one is Type 09, which is K-12. For elementary and secondary, you must have a subject area endorsement. Other certificates, such as a Type 75 allows you to be a princpal. Type 10 is for special ed.

A Type 09 can teach kdg, but a Type 04 can't be placed in any grade higher than 3rd.

When NCLB came around, more schools increased their preschool programs. Also, Head Start began putting pressure on non-profit organizations to hire certified teachers. Therefore, folks with my certificate are in high demand. The irony of the situation is that established child care/preschool/head start programs have had teachers in place for umpty-nine years, and these people refuse to go back to school, and some only have a high school diploma :eek:!!

So, whenever they hire me...people are po'd.

40. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

May 9, 2008

Hawkeye the EMS looks like a good deal. My son is an EMT and I am trying to get him into paramedic school.

Master Pre K it sounds like some of these peoplelook on your certification as a threat. Have you thought about being a preschool director? The medical billing at night sounds like a great idea.

41. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 9, 2008

here's the thing...directors make less! have more headaches..when people are out - they have to cook, cover room, do paperwork too, and come in early and stay late..might as well open my own school.

the funding is specifically for my title...Master Pre-K...

I make more than everyone in the building.... :(