Fired from LTS Job

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by teresaglass, Nov 22, 2006.

1. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Nov 22, 2006

Today I was fired form my LTS job. I was told that I could not control my 9th grade resource class. They arebringing in aother sub Monday. I think I should give up teaching! I am sick of looking. Terry G.:sorry:

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 22, 2006

I'm sorry. Did you know it was coming? Maybe it just was not the right placement for you, Terry.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Nov 22, 2006

TerriG Don't give up. You tried so hard. You will find the right placement for you. I'm so sorry, but don't let this get you down. You will make it.

5. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Nov 22, 2006

Move to another grade area. Gr 9's are a difficult bunch, especially with resource (behavioural?) Try to get the word out for other schools in your district, and talk to the principals in the school you have been happy at. Don't give up. We need you!

Mr. Skinner :D

6. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Nov 22, 2006

I've had LTS where I *wish* I had been fired.

Learn what thier issue was. Research ways to deal with the situation in the future. Read some books, have a pep talk with administration (at their lesiure) and your most honest, helpful student.

Freshmen can be very difficult, especially with aggrivating situational issues. Don't think about "if I could do it all over again." Think, "What will I do next time?" There will be a next time.

7. SpecEdTeacher

SpecEdTeacher Companion

Nov 22, 2006

do you want to give up on searching for a new job because your bummed and yoru feelings are hurt or because you dont like teaching?

i had a super rough couple of weeks, but i had to stop and think..i love teaching and love these kids. my mentor told me good teachings skills are learned through trial and error, its the love and desire to teach that cant be taught.

good luck with your decision.

8. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Nov 22, 2006

Sorry to hear about that, Terri. I have had classes I couldn't control and it's worse than unfair to be held responsible for the behaviour of students who should know better. I hope you find some positive in this.

9. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Nov 22, 2006

I Called kelly Educational Staffing and I am starting a middle school history job on Monday. I actually thought I was turning the class around. The last 2 days at the library were good. What was really bad was that my assistant kept getting pulled from my room to help the department chair. In addition to that the special ed. department started firing every day to day sub that was sent to the school. Everytime they got a new sub they would ask that their name be taken off the list. A new sub who "supposedly can control the class" is starting on Monday and the school was off today. I think the school should have told me on Tuesday morning that they did not want me to continue. I have to cut my Thanksgiving vacation short to go and get my things over the weekend. Whenever I was in that class my students were yelled at and disciplined by the department chair and I got yelled at by the aide and two other teachers. I am glad I am out. I just hate the way they treat substititutes. Terry G.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  10. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Nov 23, 2006

Terri,
    You deserve better. This can be a blessing in disguise. I hope the new sub is awful, though.

I wonder if you can talk to whoever fired you to say that you voluntarily resigned because it wasn't a good fit. That would look better on your record.

11. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Nov 25, 2006

Teresaglass, sorry to hear about you having to leave your lts. You deserve better. I agree with jazzminjoy, see if you can talk to the administrator and get it changed to a voluntary resignation.
    By the way, did they give you any kind of written observation with recommendations for improvement???? You said the dept. chair had to come in and yell at your students... What happened to no yelling, its a sign of lack of control....? Why did the other two teachers yell at you , and what's with aide's thinking that its okay to yell at their "supervisor" - you??? Write all of these incidents down. Date them. Write them with two sides, what they did, how you reacted. What caused a problem, what steps you took to solve the issues. Ask for imput. Even if you are no longer there, you have the right to ask for an honest review giving examples of the problem areas, and what steps they took to help you help the students. Tell them it will help you understand where you need to improve, and not repeat the same mistakes. Make sure you give your recommendations on how you hope they will "guide" the next teacher in controlling this classroom. Ex.: Allow the "new" teacher to observe recommended classroom management in action with these "challenged" students BEFORE taking over the classroom. Giving the "new" teacher written reviews weekly on areas that they are doing great (which you obviously didn't get) and areas that they need to work on. Give the aide written job description of exactly what she/he is supposed to do and what they can't do. Have the administration observe them with the aide in the classroom to make sure the working partnership is intact, and not just a b*trashing session of what a lousy person they thought you were...
    Atleast these points would make them think about their management skills and hiring skills. (Make them realllly squirm by sending a copy to the district HR person!!! heh heh heh. Nothing's worse to a HR Chairperson, than a superintendent findingout that the principal did little to nothing to support a new teacher in a special ed class where any kind of change causes unknown catastrophic reactions for untold amounts of time. This causes parents to be irate, complain, sue and then they get ugly when their lil darlings aren't being educated to the best of their abilities according to the National Education law 504. Bad news has a habit of rolling down hill and gaining fierce momentum when fueled by an irate parent!!!

12. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Nov 25, 2006

Terry, I'm so sorry this happened. However, it sounds more like their issue than yours. I get the impression they are not taking care of things on their end and expecting a sub to magically come in and fix this is rather pathetic. What school district is this? I don't ever want to apply for them!! (you can PM if you want). I'm glad you went back out there and got some work with Kelly Staffing. Sounds like you are better off for this, even though I know it was a difficult situation. Hang in there!

13. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Nov 26, 2006

Incidents at LTS

No written observations were given. I was mostly told and in front of my students how to control the classroom. I got yelled at for having the students sitting in partners sharing books. In fact i was balled out. Usually I would get balled out once a week when the department chair came into my room. Another time another special education teacher came in and and yelled "Are those two boys giving you trouble" She then proceeded to tell me in a haughty voice how to control my room. The kids were working except the twp boys were whispering to one another. I was trying to get her information about another student. The aide yelled at me twice. She baled me out after class because one boy was talking and she disciplined him. The second time the speech therapist was asking me about another student she yelled that I was lying that I had to move the student. It turned out she thought i was talking about an unruly student in the room but the student that the speech therapist was asking about was a different student. After this incident I was planning on quitting. I was told that I would have no trouble getting aother long term assignment but I am glad I am out.
    Terry G.

14. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Nov 26, 2006

geeez manellleeee!!! It does sound like the best thing that happened was for you to be outa there!!! So sorry you had to endure that even for a day. It was unexcuseable abuse for you to endure and the kids to have to witness it. How are these kids going to learn to deal with adversity if the supposed "bosses" are not in control of their own behaviors???
    I hope the person who told you that you will be able to get other LTS assignments is right and will stick to their word and make sure you do get another opportunity to prove that you are indeed worthy of being a teacher when you are ready to take it on again.
    Good luck, and don't let this sour you on being a teacher too much. There are alot of really good teachers out there, but unfortunately its the bad apples that get the spot light.
    Your idea of partner reading is very much in vogue here in the southeast. Peers working together is frequently a much better teacher than a professional. Don't ever doubt yourself, when you know you've got research to back your position up!!!
    Keep a daily diary on how and what you are doing. Share it with a trusted mentor. Keep up the training and reading of new methodologies so that you can back your actions up if it every comes into play again. SPeak up for yourself and your students. Tell the "visitor"/chair that is trying to interrupt your class by talking to you during the middle of teaching time that it is not appropriate, and you'd appreciate it if they would schedule another time to discuss this matter in PRIVATE!!

15. adria

adria Comrade

Nov 26, 2006

I am sorry for what had happended to you. You may not believe it, but consider it a blessing. Your classroom fed off the administration. I said this because the administration and staff did not support you or respected you. Your class reacted in a negative behavior.

Once again, don't give up, don't allow one incident to determine your future.

16. palmharbor

palmharbor Rookie

Nov 29, 2006

I was fired for less, 2 weeks ago

I am a male substitute teacher or I was anyway.
    I was fired for checking my e mail while the co-teacher was reading a story to children in the class. My mom is in the last stages of her disease and my brother communicates via e mail. I was told by the Director of HR that if my mom was so sick, maybe I should not be working now. This is Pasco County in Tampa Bay Florida.
    This is not a district that encourages male elementary teachers and the proof is in the hiring of 97% female
    teachers.

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 29, 2006

I am sorry that you and Teresa were fired. PH they are always looking for male elementary teacher/ primary teachers up here.
    Best of luck finding new jobs to both of you.

18. palmharbor

palmharbor Rookie

Nov 29, 2006

Thanks but they aren't in Florida. I interviewed at Tampa Bay Blvd. Elementary for a Kinder position and the principal said to me "what do I say to the parents of the 25 children when they come to me and say they don't want a 'man' teaching their child"?
    I have more stores like this.

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 29, 2006

Oh my goodness that is horrible. Here I sent over 100 resumes from March to July. Most of the jobs hired male teachers. I was applying to k up to 5th grade.

20. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Nov 29, 2006

PH,
    DOn't hesitate to write that principal a follow up letter and state the facts about the positive influences you can have!!! THe very least, it will give your ego a much needed stroking when you read and can quote the research done on this topic.
    The principal should tell those nosey/picky parents that he has hired the best person for the position. 1]You, being a male, are in the perfect position of giving what (sadly) is so lacking in alot of kids lives.... a positive male role model, a positive father figure, especially in little boys lives. (and little girls lives too) Just look at the statistics, it does support your arguement to be an early childhood teacher/elementary.
    It is always been my belief that it takes two people to raise a child in a family, and if the father is missing either through divorce/death, or just too busy, then it falls on the teacher's shoulder to help fulfill that role. :angel:
    2] If those parents don't want a "man" teaching their child that is a sad statement to all the fathers out there who want to take a role in helping their child grow up into a productive adult. Do they have the gall to tell that to their husbands??? :eek: If there are fathers that are saying this, are they blind to their own role and ability to be a positive influence in their own child's life? Are the neglecting that parenting/ teaching role? Just who do these people think a child's first teachers are???? why.... could it be the parents?????!!! ::DUH:::eek:
    Don't give up. It takes alot of strength for a man to be an elementary school teacher, because you have to be your own role model and break the predjudice attitudes.

21. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 29, 2006

I'm sorry to hear about you being fired for checking your email. As far as the interview goes, though, the principal may have just been asking to see what your answer would be. I was once asked during an interview how I would handle veteran teachers who think I don't know anything because I'm a new teacher. Sometimes they just want to hear your answer.

22. FUNSUB

FUNSUB Rookie

Nov 30, 2006

I sub in Pinellas - don't go to highland lakes. my son goes there and there are some real witches for adm. & teachers. I only became a sub to sub there and those teachers do not put their names on the computer. they have their own list and won't call anybody else! I sub at the PH, TS and OLDS. I think substituting is so much fun. If I had a bachelors I would try to get into teaching. right now I have my own business and do this for fun!:)

23. palmharbor

palmharbor Rookie

Nov 30, 2006

I know about Highland Lakes, I subed there last year.
    I have out some sample music CD's for good work. One parent swore she heard swearing on the CD. I was unable to decipher more than 3 works none profane..it did not matter. I was reported to the Disctrict Office and fired.

24. FUNSUB

FUNSUB Rookie

Nov 30, 2006

SOMEBODY OUGHT TO REPORT THAT SCHOOL! ANOTHER TEACHER (VERY GOOD FRIEND OF MINE) WAS ACCUSED OF SOMETHING ELSE! WHEN IT IS OVER SHE IS GOING TO SUE AND THAT SCHOOL WILL BE SORRY!

hang in there!:D

25. palmharbor

palmharbor Rookie

Nov 30, 2006

NO WAY

This was a female principal. In Tampa Bay 90%+ of the principals are women. She had never hired a male teacher outside the P.E. teacher and she was not interested in changing. This experience with Tampa Bay Blvd. was two years ago. I reported her to the area supervisor and the supervisor (female) said only "thank you for sharing".

26. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Dec 4, 2006

PH:
    Sorry to hear that. It sounds like the district/area person was in a tight corner. SHe couldn't tell you that you were right, because its her job to support her principals and her teachers in public.
    If that principal has never hired any male teachers other than PE, she's the one who is losing, and the school. Which is sad, to let a outdated prejudice color the progress of a school. Its their loss, not yours. Somewhere there is a position for you. DOn't give up.

27. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Dec 5, 2006

Texas

In my part of South Texas we want and need more male elementary teachers. We have one this year and two last year. The one that moved to middle school is sorely missed. He was a big bear of a guy and we used him quiet often just for his size.

28. palmharbor

palmharbor Rookie

Dec 5, 2006

Here in Floirda, hiring is by the County so there are just three hiring authorities in Tampa Bay. ...none are male friendly.
    There should be a Big sign on the border as you enter Florida. "WELCOME TO FLORIDA, PLEASE TURN YOUR WATCH BACK 50 YEARS" JEB BUSH GOVERNOR

29. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Dec 7, 2006

Maybe the person you should be complaining to is Governor Bush. If the hiring is done by the county, the Governor has no say in who gets hired. Maybe it's different in other cities. If Governor Bush knew what kind of treatment male educators are given in your area, maybe he'll realize something needs to be done.

I remember not really having any male teachers till junior high, but I've always admired them because they're a minority in the education field. I feel like the students would pay more attention to them and mind better because male teachers and educators are seen as more of an authority figure than females.

Maybe this helps. I can't believe you've been treated this way....maybe you should all gang up over there in Florida and write to the Governor!!

30. Shane Steinmetz

Shane Steinmetz Rookie

Dec 8, 2006

Hah hah hah!!! I love that one!

Teresa, I'm so sorry about what happened to you. :( I've been blocked by schools to the point where I just don't care anymore. There are so many schools out there (and such a demand for substitutes) that blocking you like that is their loss.

If a school likes me and keeps calling me back, good! I will continue to perform the best I can for that school. Otherwise, the school is clearly not for me. Honestly, I think that there are just some schools and districts out there that are just plain whacko.

How come teacher helpers and supervisors can get away with blantantly becoming irate and shouting while I get investigated for trying to have a calm conversation?

And PalmHarbor -- at least you don't fall into the "teen/young adult" age group. That age group has even more difficult prejudices than the gender one, in some respects.

Wait. I'm young AND male.

Uh oh.