Fire Safety Week

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by mrachelle87, Sep 30, 2007.

1. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 30, 2007

I need activities for fire safety week. HELP!!

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2007

Fire Safety week is sooooo boring, but so necessary. So, do you have a pattern to cut a fire hat out of tagboard and then have them paint it red? I bet there's a pattern on the internet somewhere, of just make your own. Find a picture of a fire truck and let them color or paint it. Talk about the equipment on the truck. Teach them to stop, drop and roll. Do you have firemen come in to teach them fire safety and show them their truck? They do that for free here. Find some good books about fire trucks and firemen. Kids just LOVE those books.

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 30, 2007

this is what I've got

:eek::eek::eek:I have a fire truck sheet that we are going to make into a big book with fire tips in it. We have small Dalmatian Dan books to make, we have a fire hat. I am trying to set up a visit to fire station, but will not be until next week. I have a couple of books. I also have a 911 magnet to make. I just need some other ideas. We are encouraged to keep a theme all week. I don't have enough!!!!!

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2007

Dalmations are fun to make. Find a picture or draw one of a dog with cute floppy ears and let them make black spots on it, or glue some cut outs on, add wiggly eyes. These could also be cut out and made into stick puppets. My kids LOVE stick puppets and walk them all around the room talking to the other stick puppets!

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 30, 2007

There is another thread out on this. Do a search for it.

Also google "fire prevention week classroom" and see what you get.

7. tarheelsak

tarheelsak Companion

Sep 30, 2007

In addition to various classroom activities, we relate our fire drill to their homes. They have a homework project where they are asked to sit down with their parents and come up with a fire safety plan for their home. The parents draw an illustration of the layout of their home. They have to discuss escape routes and show them with arrows. Then they have to mark their meeting points outside in case they get separated. They have one week to do this. On Friday, we share our plans and they tell us their routes and meeting places. :)

8. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Sep 30, 2007

I teach a fun lesson about matches.
    I start by teaching the kids this little part of a song
    "I Found Matches!" (Sung to "Skip to my Lou")

I found [matches] what do I do?
    Tell me what to do!

Give them to a grown-up that's what I'll do!
    Give them to a grown-up!

Then we talk about why we need to give them to a grown up.
    Next, I have the kids go look for "matches" in our room. (I just color the tip of a craft stick red) and then come to tell me that they found one.

We end by singing our song again.
    The next morning, I hide the matches again and when the kids come in they find them (I have never had to tell them to look, they just notice them) and they tell me where they are.

Short and simple, but the kids like it and remember it.

9. luvteaching25

luvteaching25 Rookie

Oct 2, 2007

I like that idea!

Thanks!

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 2, 2007

That sounds just like a Barney song.

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

12. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Oct 7, 2007

i am planning on doing a fire escape plans for each child's house. my younger students K-3 I want their parents to help them, my 4th-5th grade students, I want them to take some iniative and do it on their own, but ask their parent's if they need help.

also doing stop, drop, and roll

i am going to have them practice getting out of the house by feeling the back of the door, staying low and crawling out, covering their mouth with a shirt, etc

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 8, 2007

We had a fire in the house this weekend. We put the pizza delivery boxes in the oven to keep the cat out of it. My oldest (11) forgot and preheated the oven. He was in PURE panic mode. He ran upstairs SCREAMING at the top of his lungs, "FIRE!!!! FIRE!!!! FIRE!!!! FIRE!!!" Unfortunately I can't hear the smoke alarm but boy I could hear him! So I went downstairs and opened up the oven. It was small enough that I could still grab the box. I dumped it in the sink and put the vegetable sprayer to good use. The hard part was the flame was mostly coming from inside the box and I couldn't open it, but it was mostly being contained and I was calm unlike my son. He was hopping around, fretting and exclaiming things the whole time. His face said it all, he was scared. He did mention during this time that we should call 9-1-1. I guess that's a good thing because he was absolutely in panic mode in the midst of an actual emergency. Afterwards he said, "Mom, that was scary!" My middle child (8) said, "Can we bring a pillow downstairs?" This is a child known for needing naps and falling asleep at any time and quickly. Was he needing a nap after all that adrenaline? Who knows what that comment meant. The baby (4) just watched without a care in the world. At least the boys realize it is a big deal and not something to play around with.

A friend of mine because blind overnight (diabetes) and was trying to learn to be self sufficient again. She used a toaster to make herself some toast one morning when she was alone in her house. It caught on fire and when she went in the kitchen she could smell that something was wrong and she got close enough to the fire that it singed her hair. She picked up the phone and walked outside. Later the phone base melted (in the livingroom). It burnt down her entire kitchen. Now THAT was scary and she never recovered enough to be confident to try to cook on her own.

14. cocacola

cocacola Rookie

Oct 11, 2007

besides having a fire truck visit I talk about safety rules, etc.. and talk about a fire fighter's job and tools. we use this website to look at various fire trucks and listen to their sirens http://www.nfpa.org/sparky/firetruck/gallery/gallery.htm and we make a fire truck out of construction paper