Fire Safety Unit

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by brejohnson88, Sep 26, 2010.

1. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Sep 26, 2010

Hey everyone.
    I am going to be doing a fire safety unit for 2 weeks starting next week. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on ideas to do, books to read, or poems/songs. I have some activites planned but any other ideas would be greatly appericated. I called the fire chief to see if we could plan a visit to the fire house and he never called me back so thats up in the air. Im going to call back tomorrow and see if I can plan it.

Thanks! :D

3. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 26, 2010

I would love to brainstorm some ideas with you later- I think Oct or a certain week in Oct is fire safety and we will be doing a mini unit too.

4. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Sep 26, 2010

Its the first week in October I think.

5. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 26, 2010

So far, we have a fire truck coming- I do not know when- the other teacher is arranging it. In prek when I was in a prek we had a volunteer fire fighter on staff- so she came in dressed in the gear and let the kids try it on and everything- they were afraid at first, but when they saw who it was they were relieved and wanted to hug her and try her gear on. It was sooo cute! We made a class book out of it. We also had Sparky come- kids loved him!

In prek we also had a refrigerator box which we made into a firetruck- it lasted for about two months before it was too yucky- but the kids painted it and designed it during work time creating steering wheels, wheels, ladders, sirens and everything else. We had the whole dramatic play and blocks area dedicated to it. Our library was loaded with fire truck books and everything. We went all out because the kids were totally into it- the kids were just crazy about it! Loving everything.

We might try to create a fire truck out of some recyclable materials or something in k- I am not sure. I have not had a chance to brainstorm yet. What else are you thinking? I have lots of fire safety books I will display and keep out for the kids to look at, but I want to find a great read aloud before meeting the fire truck.

6. 32Flavors

32Flavors Rookie

Sep 26, 2010

I'm doing a fire safety theme this week with my pre-k classes.

Books: Fire Engines by Anne Rockwell, Fire Drill by Paul Dubois Jacobs, Flashing Fire Engines by Tony Mitton

Activities: Sorting hot and cold objects, creating a fire truck using cut-out shapes (squares for windows, triangles for lights, rectangles for the body of the truck, circles for wheels), learning how to dial 911 and recognize the numbers, practicing Stop Drop and Roll, practicing fire drills, discussions about how fires can start and how we can prevent them from starting.

We're learning about the letter F as well.

Hope this gives you some ideas!

7. lilkidteach

lilkidteach Rookie

Sep 27, 2010

Another thing I have them practice is crawling under the smoke (a blanket).

8. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Sep 29, 2010

Here's a link to the Fire Safety page on my website with ideas for books, songs, and activities.