Fire Marshall Strikes

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by redskinmom, Mar 15, 2006.

1. redskinmom

redskinmom Rookie

Mar 15, 2006

We knew it would happen sooner or later and sure enough, the sad day arrived last week when we were told to take down our bulletin boards and all the fluff. :( We are allowed to have 10% of our walls covered and nothing combustible hanging from the ceiling. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on how you've dealt with this situation? My classroom looks so sad and horrible "white". The kids keep saying "it looks like someone is missing". :thanks: for any information.

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 15, 2006

Oh those flaming pumpkins! (That was what we called the pumpkins that the fire marshall made our 1st and 2nd grade take down.) He hates everything at our school. Our PTO used to have hall decorating contests for Halloween and Christmas but he nixed almost everything we had (from Christmas lights to the fake spider webs). I'm waiting for the day he comes in my room, I have 7 twin sheets hanging for curtains. Of course I also have Raid, hair spray, etc hidden in my file cabinet. The biggest battle we are having with him at the moment is my fault. About 5 years ago I had my dad build me hooks outside my room (our halls are brick). He hung a 1 X 10 and I put hooks down it that the kids use for their jackets and backpacks. Pretty soon every room in our main building had one. (Somehow most of them got the school to pay...still haven't figured that one out!) Well, the fire marshall HATES those. He keeps trying to find ways to get rid of them. (He says they are a hazard to the kids getting out if they catch on fire. I don't see how it would be safer to have them on the floor in the room for everyone to trip over!) We have a really long horseshoe drive so when they see the fire marshall coming they come on the intercom and say "Go Tigers!" Everyone starts running around "hiding" their stuff!

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 15, 2006

I realize I didn't offer any advice. I'm sorry I really can't think of anything. They have never said anything to us about the 10%. (I'm really glad since my walls are plastered!) Did they give you suggestions for the types of materials you could put up? Maybe you could paint some murals on your wall. I've seen where people use tempra paints to paint the murals and then wash them off a few weeks later. Good luck!

5. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Mar 15, 2006

That is funny to think about because we are required to keep so much on our walls in my grade there is little room for anything else. Would a clothes line that extends across the room but does not actually touch the ceiling count?

6. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Mar 16, 2006

We have the same 10% rule. We aren't allowed to put anything on our walls. We can hang things from the ceilings as long as we don't overdo it. I try to change displays often.

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 16, 2006

10% is just ridiculous! What do they expect you to do? I couldn't imagine only being able to cover up that much. The clothesline idea is great. I believe that Carson Dellosa now makes a kit, but it's pretty expensive. You're better off making your own. There should be a regulation about hanging stuff from the ceiling. Ours is 18 inches. I have fishing line with paper clips on the end hanging from mine.

8. kburen

kburen Cohort

Mar 16, 2006

Yuck, I hate that rule. We don't have it here at school but I did in my dorm at college. We were only allowed X number of posters and nothing else on the walls...It was horrible. I can imagine that the walls would be bare and it would make it a sad looking place :( I'm sorry....I can't really think of any ideas though.

9. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2006

i say you should (if money isn't a big problem) either get or build some cabinets with doors on them, or bookshelves off sometime with doors, then you could decorate the doors and the walls would no longer be bare because of the cubboards and shelves plus added bonus of organization space!

10. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Mar 16, 2006

Our fire marshall didn't like clotheslines either... If the things hanging catch fire, they can still drop on the kids.

I remember the fire marshall coming to complain, but nothing was ever enforced. He didn't even like curtains on the windows. He did say you needed to have them treated with fire retardant. We didn't but I guess that we got by with it by saying we'd do it.

All the K teachers (12 of us) had shapes hanging outside our doors to make it easier for kids to find the classroom. He didn't like that since it could catch fire and fall on kids when you are trying to get out. But we kept them up. I don't know how we got away with it. ;)

11. Teacher379

Teacher379 Companion

Mar 16, 2006

As if all the BOOKS, copy paper, and wooden desks/doors/windows are fire-proof.
    I don't get it!

12. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2006

The problem with papers, posters, etc. on the walls and ceiling is that they have a very large surface area compared to their mass. A fire on something like that can go from near nothing to engulfing the room in seconds if there is enough of it. The other things you mentioned won't do that.

13. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 16, 2006

I just need to say that I think that is all ridiculous. 10%? That's all I have to say.

14. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 16, 2006

I just can't help but add my two cents worth. That is the dumbest thing I have heard in a long time. We have so much stuff hanging all over our wall and ceilings you can hardly get in the room! One teacher has a whole wall covered with blue paper to look like wall paper because her walls are sooooo ugly white! In my room alone I have this stuff hanging from the ceilings: 8 whales, 8 rainbow clouds, 8 shamrocks and 8 paper balloons...not to mention all the kid's easel painting hanging on clothes lines and my whole chimney is wrapped in brown paper to make it into a "tree" and hang the whole alphabet from!!! Man I feel for you. If it were me, I would try filling the space with furniture(I think someone mentioned that before) ...I could not put up with all those bare walls! How about hanging plants? Or does this idiot think they will catch fire to??? And Christy, what an bigger idiot, the guy who thinks the backpacks are a fire hazard!!!!!!! Oh let's not have any fun or decorate our rooms because something might catch on fire! For cripe's sakes, if you can see the fire marshall coming(which I LOVE!) , I think you could see a fire long before it got to your backpacks! I think I would hate this guy. It does sound fun though, hiding all your stuff!hahahaha on him!

15. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Mar 16, 2006

what about using one of those privacy screens, you can hang art work on that couldn't you? If you have the space for it.

16. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2006

Can you hang on windows? That is always a good alternative?!
    At one point I had my desks in a U shape and the kids would hang work from the back of the desk....

17. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 16, 2006

You know, if it's going to catch on fire...it's going to catch on fire. Thank goodness our fire marshall is really nice to us.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2006

We had a really nice fire marshall but when we sent through a state evaluation on compliance (in all areas-curriculum, teacher development, etc) a few years ago, a state fire marshall came in and did the same. We got some kind of wall-paper type covering material to permanently cover the bulletin boards- very nic, no hassle with that big bulletin board paper anymore!! I do miss the wires to hand things from but since we're all in the same boat, it's not like my room is any more bare than anyone elses. As the years have gone by a few things have crept beyond the edges of the bulletin boards and onto the walls (oh no!!:eek: ) but I guess we'd have a heads' up if the marshall was coming back. The wires though will probably never go back up......:(

19. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 16, 2006

Knock on wood - I've never heard of the fire marshall coming into our building.

20. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Mar 16, 2006

The fire marshall's kids go to my school!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: