Fire Drill

Discussion in 'General Education' started by miss-m, Mar 23, 2018.

1. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Mar 23, 2018

I don't know if this was discussed in the recent threads about school shootings, but does anyone else have a feeling of dread/anxiety over fire drills now?

My school got a new alarm system, and while it's less shrill than the old one which is kinda nice, it also apparently makes me super anxious. There's an announcement that comes over the intercom with the alarm, and it states that this is an emergency, please evacuate the building in English and Spanish.

I NEVER have worried about fire drills before. Ever. They always make me jump when the alarm first goes off, but I've never gotten anxious about it before. Until the P came over the intercom to say it was a drill though, I just feel so... distrusting? of the alarm.

I don't know. I hate that fire drills apparently now make me scared I'm about to get shot. Has anyone else started having this reaction?

3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Mar 23, 2018

All of our drills are announced, and sent to teachers via Remind text message from the assistant principal the morning of the drill. They used to not be announced, but we were told they don't want to start unnecessary panic.Students aren't supposed to be told about these in advance though.

Been There likes this.
  4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2018

Other than the first one of the year, ours are not supposed to be announced, but word usually gets out.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2018

We have as many "real" alarms as drills, unfortunately. This is partly due to behavior issues and kids wanting to be naughty, and also due to the large number of portable classrooms we have with iffy wiring. Our last alarm happened because a parent in the office wasn't watching her toddler, who waddled over to an alarm box and pulled it.

6. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Mar 23, 2018

Just to put it in perspective:
    Lifetime odds of being mauled by a bear: 1 in 2.1 million.
    Lifetime odds of being killed in a school shooting: 1 in 2.7 million.
    Yeah. You more likely to be mauled by a bear than die in a school shooting. The media is doing a bang up job at scaring the crap out of people and convincing everyone they're going to all die at school. But you, fine internet person, are surely smarter than to allow yourself to be manipulated like that.
    Don't be a sheeple. Think for yourself.

7. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2018

Not worried at all. (Though there was one fire drill after a lockdown at a school near here shortly after a previous shooting)

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 23, 2018

It makes me a little hesistant for sure. While I rationally know it's likely just a drill, there is part of you that can't help but think about the other possibilities.

9. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Mar 23, 2018

Yes. But, I worry about everything. My mind is one of those "worst case scenario" calendars 24/7.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2018

Teachers know about drills in my bldg.

11. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Mar 23, 2018

We don't know when the drills are coming, but it doesn't take a genius to figure it out either. If you mark it on the calendar, you can see the pattern.
    That said, we are now instructed that we have to wait a few seconds, pop our heads out the door to see if it is really a drill. This is our new procedure since Parkland.
    Um.....so if you weren't nervous before, now we can delay getting out of a building where fire could be an actual threat, on the off chance we may be getting mauled by a bear or shot by an intruder right in front of our class where they will be rendered helpless to respond. But no one asked for my opinion. :)
    For me, I don't sweat it out. I tell my kids to stay calm in all circumstances. We have the best chance of a good outcome if we stay calm.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2018

I need to know more about this statistic. Is it being generally applied to all humans, even those who do not enter schools regularly? Like the odds of experiencing a plane crash are xyz, but really they are zero if you never fly in a plane. Meanwhile for the people who fly for business 4 times per week, their odds are higher.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2018

We need to have at least 6 drills per year. Staff and students are informed of the first one. The others are all supposed to be unannounced, but word usually gets out among the teachers. Teachers and support staff who work with some of our more challenging students are given a "heads-up", so it's rarely a surprise for all staff.

The first question students always ask when the alarm goes off is, "Is this real?" It's important to balance taking drills seriously, but not panicking.

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Mar 24, 2018

We haven't had a fire drill recently. We did have a soft lock-down on Thursday with the local police and state sheriff in front & behind the building all day. It didn't make me feel any safer, just more aware of how things can happen. Yesterday, we had an immediate, early dismissal due to an elevated threat. I saw 1 police there.

So, I've become much more alert and aware of what could happen. I don't know how I'll react to a fire drill. I just know the last 2 days were mentally draining and I don't work directly with kids.

15. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Mar 24, 2018

I'm not sure exactly how this is meant to make me feel better. Ok, great, my odds of being mauled by a bear are *technically* higher than my odds of being shot in school.
    Except that I'm in a high-poverty area, we have lock-outs fairly regularly (something is going on outside the building, so everyone stays inside; this happens at least a couple times a semester), and regardless of how hyped the media is making school shootings, the fact is that they ARE happening alarmingly often. So yeah, I'm in a heightened state of anxiety about the thought of a fire alarm not being a drill and actually being a ruse so someone can shoot up the school. I wouldn't consider that being a "sheeple."

Do I actually, logically think I'm going to get shot when we have a fire drill? No. But I hate that the thought is even there and present enough to cause some fear, when in the past fire alarms have only been a minor inconvenience followed by, "Man, it's cold outside, why are we doing this now?"

dgpiaffeteach likes this.