Fire Code

Discussion in 'General Education' started by chicagoturtle, Aug 10, 2012.

1. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 10, 2012

Another thread reminded me about why Fire Code is so important.

When I first started teaching, I didn't really like all the restrictions on what could be hung from the wall and ceiling etc.

Well I was informed about a very large and tragic fire in Chicago that impacts today's fire code and the reason that there are such restrictions.

Of course there are many more modern tools of the fire department and construction etc, but in Chicago at least we still have schools from the 1800s.

Wikipedia provides enough of a gist, but there are several websites dedicated to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_the_Angels_School_fire

Maybe this is why fire drills freak me out so much.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2012

Your link isn't working, chicagoturtle, but I can imagine what it is about.

As frustrating as the codes can be (I hated giving up my coffee maker last year!), they are there for a reason. The regulations are not there to make our lives miserable or to prevent us from having the "dream" classroom we envision, they are there to keep our students safe.

So, I'll keep my coffee maker at home, move the boxes from on top of my cabinet, arrange the furniture so that there is clear access to the doors (even if it's not the most ideal arrangement), and limit what I hang on my walls.

I'll also remind the students about the fire drill and lock down drills and deal with it pretty harshly when they don't follow the expectations. Safety is nothing to brush aside.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2012

Safety is definitely important! Thank you for reminding us!

5. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 10, 2012

I think the link is fixed.

The school was Our Lady of Angels in Chicago. The fire happened n the 50s.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2012

Thanks for the link, chicagoturtle. You just never know.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2012

This makes me think more of safety features of a 2 story building...how are the safety regulations. It doesn't sound like they really had any means of escaping the 2nd floor windows...Oh sad. I know my bedroom when I was a child was far off the ground and asked for a ladder to climb out my window for Xmas... I'm always thinking of that stuff!!!

8. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 10, 2012

I guess also part of the problem was they had something called "transoms" which I believe we still have in the older school buildings, but I hope they have been changed to be in fire code.

We have "grates" over our windows- I'm not sure how openable they are. - So technically, we only have one exit from our room.

The Chicagon fire department has also been known to "block exits" and pull kids from lines during fire drills. Scary, but makes you think on your toes about what to do. I hate fire drills with my little guys, but know it is important. Ours are somewhat predictable in they generally happen on the same day of the month, however time is not predictable.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2012

Our fire department will do that as well. I hate that our kids are complacent about fire drills. When I speak to them about it, they always say, "But it wasn't a real fire." I try to impress upon them that they can't know that with 100% certainty and they need to react every time they hear the fire alarm as if it is the "real thing."

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 10, 2012

The building I just moved out of had several "false alarms" over the last two months. It was irritating, and a lot of residents became complacent. Well, several weeks ago, it was for real. Somebody had overloaded an old dryer, which caused the motor to get overheated, which caused a spark, that then ignited the lint in the vent (since people aren't always good about cleaning the lint screen, it had built up). People were complaining and taking their time getting out, but that time it was for real. Thankfully, the sprinkler system kicked in and the fire was very small and stayed contained to just the one room, but it could have been bad.

Even though drills are annoying, you never know when it might be real.

11. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 10, 2012

Yes in college, many people would come home and pull the alarm in the middle of the night, living on one of the top floors many people were hesitant to leave, knowing it would mean climbing 10 flights of stairs or waiting for the elevator for hours. However, in my two years in the dorm, we had two real fires. One which burnt out an entire room. Cinder block really does a good job of containing fires thankfully.

12. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 10, 2012

It can definitely be scary! We used to have false alarms all the time in one of the dorms on campus. Some kids wouldn't leave so they started to fine anyone they found inside $250.

We had a very scary drill at school this year. The fire alarm went off and we all started to leave, but then one of the office people started yelling it was a lockdown so we ran back to our rooms. Then about 30 seconds later, they started yelling that it really was the fire alarm. Thankfully it was just a drill but that could have been deadly!

ETA: This is a link to a very sad fire we had in Cleveland back in the early 1900s. We've been to visit the memorial grave. It was very sad, my great-grandmother used to talk about it.