Finland's Education System: 10 Important Facts Americans Shouldn't Ignore

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by teacherman1, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2014

Same here.:thumb:

There have been schools for years that have been cutting the arts, buying into packaged programs, trying different school wide behavior management systems for a VARIETY of reasons. This is not a common core phenomenon...like many things, it comes down to school climate, philosophy, community support, administration and leadership.

2. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Mar 23, 2014

And you are soooooo lucky, a2z. But it is happening in many schools across the nation. Listen to the speeches that were made at last Spring's Opt-Out Occupation at the DOE. There were speakers from all over the country who traveled all the way to Washington to speak out against this cr_ _.

When I describe what's happening in my school or in my area I'm not making it up - and I'm not speaking for all teachers. It's simply what I see....

Steve

PS If you care about the really young ones, listen to this speech by Nancy Carlson Paige (Matt Damon's mom)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qdjbxsjFQY

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 23, 2014

Well I think we can all tell what you think about primary teachers. Ooh, ooh, insult third grade teachers next!

4. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 23, 2014

I didn't say what you explained isn't happening where you are. Never said you were making it up. I said you can't generalize that it is the problem with our country's educational system because not all districts do what you describe. Multiple posters here say their district also continues to have recess, art, music, PE, talking lunches, and creativity in their classrooms.

5. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Mar 23, 2014

please, Please, PLEASE listen to this 20 minute speech by Nancy Carlson Paige at the United Opt-Out Occupation of the DOE last year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qdjbxsjFQYWhether or not you agree with anything I've had to say over the last 5 years on atoz, if you care about kids and you care about education, you should watch this video...

She is a recognized expert in early childhood education and sees the big picture in the U.S.

This video has had just 180 views since last year. It should have had 180,000....

6. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 23, 2014

I think that in my district the K and 1st grade teachers still ignore some very important required skills and have done so since BEFORE NCLB. They also spend an inordinate amount of time on things that do not necessarily cause learning about the subject or the amount of time spent to learn a minimal amount of information isn't in the best interest of the children when they get to upper grades and lack some needed skills because it was never taught because there was just not enough time.

So, what I think about the primary teachers in my district is that they might just want to update some of the things that they have been doing for over 25 years. They don't have to eliminate everything like in the case of teacherman's schools, but an update might be a good thing.

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 23, 2014

What skills are they ignoring, in your opinion?

8. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Mar 23, 2014

A quote from the video:
    "There wasn't a single early childhood educator in that group of people who wrote the Common Core.... and that's criminal." Nancy Carlsson-Paige

9. Honest_Teacher

Honest_Teacher Comrade

Mar 23, 2014

You're fighting against the irrational tendency to proclaim persecution of several posters on this board; don't be disappointed when they continue to ignore your (valid) arguments.

10. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 23, 2014

Letter formation - children are never taught how to print. If they have not learned how to print in preschool or at home, they will never have instruction to learn how to properly form letters. This results in issues later on with fluidity in writing, neatness, and negative comments about the quality of the handwriting in their work products. They are not taught but they are expected to produce.

Phonemic awareness is almost non existent. If the children don't come with it, they don't get it which results in struggles reading.

Number sense is glossed over relying on memory instead of understanding. Poor number sense results in weak math skills.

Phonics is evil in our district. A few teachers within the district have insisted on teaching phonics, but some were put in a position that made it impossible for them to stay in the district. I'm not saying phonics is the end all be all, but it is an important part of reading that should not be ignored.

Basic writing instruction is not provided. Writing is at a higher level with the assumption that the basics will be caught along the way.

Language structure is ignored through most of elementary school.

I'm not at all implying that the higher level skills are not important and that some students are ready for them from the start, but those most in need tend to be disadvantaged more by ignoring some of the basic foundational skills. This existed before NCLB and continues now.

11. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Mar 23, 2014

a2z, i would love to teach in your state. I moved from a district that did have art, music, and PE. It's a law in our state that students have to have PE, but our PE coaches will tell you that it 's not happening.

Our kids have band if they give up specials. I teach in a k-8 school. Our kids have silent lunch and recess is for grades k-3 10 min a day.

I teach in the South. We walk kids to the bathroom and line them up through the 8th grade. they don't even know how to pee by themselves. :(

Our k-2 are expected to understand the common core standards or they are retained. (lots of exceptions) We are implementing common core standards in 3-8 this year.

12. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Mar 23, 2014

Ummm, this part is happening, what are they teaching them if not phonics and printing????

13. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 23, 2014

I find it very difficult to imagine your kindergarten teachers and first grade teachers spend no time at all on letter formation or phonemic awareness, or number sense. Phonics I could believe. I don't teach in your school, of course... but I just have a very hard time believing that. Especially number sense. Based on what kindergarten and first grade math is, you're basically saying that your K-1 teachers don't teach any math whatsoever.

14. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Mar 23, 2014

I don't see how they couldn't teach letter formation or phonemic awareness either. Our K students are writing 2-3 sentences by the end of the year. they display them on the wall outside the classroom. And, I agree with the math part. I help out a second grader after school (his mom is a teacher) and the other day on a math problem I had to stop and think about it. So I know our teachers are. Wat are the y teaching then????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.