Finishing up a long-term

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Joy, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Joy

Joy Cohort

Nov 17, 2011

I'm finishing up my LTS in elementary music next week. Is it normal to feel kind of sad? I've been trying to prepare the kids so that none of it is a surprise and they know what teacher they will have when. When I tell some of the kids, they act happy that their other teacher will be back. That makes me feel bad too. I know it's really weird. Of course they would feel that way. They've had her for alot longer than they've had me and it is her classroom. Is it normal to feel this way though? Part of me will be glad to go back to day-to-day subbing and the adventure of having a new class every day but part of me feels bad that this will be over. Has anyone else done a long-term and felt this way at the end?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2011

These feelings are definitely normal! Do not fret that you are sad about leaving. You have bonded with these students and made many connections with the staff and maybe even the parents.

And trust me, they will miss you as well. I was out on maternity leave two years ago and my students told me how much they missed the sub that I had. When I told the sub, she told me that the last 2 weeks, the students told her how happy they were that I was coming back.

4. Rosebud9802

Rosebud9802 Rookie

Nov 17, 2011

I am currently 8-weeks into a 12-week long-term substitute position too. I have developed rapport with the students and other staff members. Therefore, I know it is going to be sad when the position ends, but I am also grateful for the opportunity to have been able to work at the school and gain experience. So, it is very normal to feel sad. It is going to take some time to transition back, but hopefully you can continue to substitute and still see some of the students you have worked with. I have already started letting the teachers know that I will be available to substitute when the new year starts. Through doing this, I was able to get a one-week assignment and few other random days throughout the month of January. Best wishes to you!!