Finished......

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by ryhoyarbie, Apr 10, 2010.

1. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Apr 10, 2010

I'm finished with the student teaching placement I was at and I'm moving into another direction after spending 4-5,000 dollars and about 3 years. I'm just not right for this job and feel it's to demanding with a lot of b.s. attached to it. The expectations for being a teacher are to high and I'm not at the level the principal wants me to be.

My classroom management system is average and the lessons I do aren't engaging enough which led to half the students talking all the time. I'm not that good at bridging the gap on what they learned previously to connect with what they're learning currently. I also get overwhelmed and have trouble trying to say what I want to see to the students when the lesson is going on.

After this past week, the teachers were stressed because of the TAKS test (Texas's standardized test) and I think the entire test is a complete joke and a waste of time, yet teachers teach to the test and are evaluated on how their students do. (In reality once students graduate high school, the school district they went to doesn't care anymore about them nor does the job they get care what kind of test scores they got from the test either)

Fom the principal telling me she wouldn't hire me next year if a position opened up, to the teacher I was assigned with telling me the students doubt my abilities to teach them is all the indication I need to move on.

Even if by sure luck I was recommended I still wouldn't go out and look for a job in teaching. I couldn't cut it and feel it's beyond a regular job.

3. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Apr 10, 2010

.... It is beyond a regular job............
    sorry your experience has been so rough. It is a rough market - very competitive.

I had the opportunity to do interviewing at my district's job fair and there is huge competition. It really is a job where you have to be passionate and keep going even when face with mutliple obstacles.

I'd love to see you keep fighting but I know at a certain point you have to cut your losses. Good luck in anything you do!

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2010

I wish the college you went to would have gotten their ed students out there in the schools more often. Mine was very good about it. I was in an inner city school in Atlanta the first semester of my third year, and placed somewhere different each semester with different responsibilities each time. I went from Pre-K through fourth, and from private school to public suburban.

I had a pretty good idea of whether it was for me by the time I started my student teaching. That's the way it should be.

And I will tell you that not all districts are done with their students when they finish high school. We have a liason person who works with kids who go to the technical college in our area. She's fabulous, and works in conjunction with the advisors at the college.

We also work closely with the teaching university in our area, so students who are going into education are still in contact with advisors in high school. I think we are a pretty close-knit community.

But best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll find just the career that suits you.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2010

I know you've struggled these past few months. I'm sorry the experience went so badly for you.

Do you have any idea what avenue(s) you might be interested in persuing?

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2010

I'm sorry your experiences didn't go well. Perhaps we can work with you to come up with some alternatives that you might be interested in? My ST did not make it, either, but he wasn't so open and honest with his feeling like you are. He is not cut out to be in a classroom and I finally had him removed from our school.

7. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Apr 11, 2010

Don't have a clue. I've done substitute teaching and several years of retail work paying about 8-9 dollars an hour after I graduated college 5 years ago. The bachelors degree in history I have isn't that marketable.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2010

OK, let's approach it this way:

You're going to be working for the next 40 years or so. Forget about a job title-- what things about teaching appealed to you? What are your hobbies, interests, desires from a careet?

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Apr 11, 2010

Ryhoyarbie,
    Sorry you had a rough time. It is a hard job and the people you were looking towards for help did not make it any easier for you.:(
    I don't blame you for deciding to get out of the field, and you have
    your reasons. It's better that you decide what to do now than staying in hoping it will work out. Like the saying goes, "Things happen for a reason", and it's what you know and feel that you should go with. Don't let someone else decide for you. YOU have to be 100% sure about a job or career, or you will never find your zone.
    Good luck with your future endeavors. Pray for guidance and let God help you with your goals and decisions.
    He's the Man with the Plan!:angel:
    Rebel1

10. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Apr 11, 2010

The only hobby I have is running. I'm not really for sure what desires and interests I have for a job either. This is going to take some time.

11. shouldbeasleep

Apr 11, 2010

You are also interested in helping other people or you wouldn't have considered teaching to begin with. Combine that with physical fitness....

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2010

I am really sorry you had such a bad experience, but at least you learned through your student teaching experience that teaching isn't your cup of tea. What did you get your college degree in? I don't know what to sat to you because I really can't imagine havin gone through all of this just to realize it's not for me. There has to be something else, you just need to investigate and figure out what it is you enjoy and want to do. I know this must be tough because you have to completely replan your life. Again, I cannot imagine being in this predicament. Is there any way that it was the grade that you might not have enjoyed??? Or are you so far beyond that point now...?

13. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Apr 11, 2010

I know how scary it is not knowing where you want to go in life. Believe me, I experienced it for a few years. Originally I was going to be a systems analyst but realized how unhappy I was working in an office. Then I took a chance and signed up for substitute teaching. It was the best risk I ever took.

You'll find your calling in life. No matter how crazy or how silly it may sound in your mind, take a chance doing something that remotely interests you. It may grow on you, it may not. If it doesn't, at least you know you're taking control.

14. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Apr 11, 2010

Bachelors degree in history that I got in May 2005.

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2010

Does the college you went to have a career counseling office that you can go to for advice?

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2010

Oh, good idea. Most colleges have some sort of job placement center that can help at least lead you in some direction, even perhaps refer you somewhere.

17. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Apr 11, 2010

I believe they do. I went there before I graduated 5 years ago and they let you take a test to find what general area you would like to go to.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2010

What do your friends like most about you? What do you do on your spare time? Where do you vacation?

What drew you to teaching in the first place???

19. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Apr 11, 2010

Spare time would be running or perhaps going to see a movie. I really don't have any friends but sometimes talk to the ones I hung out with in high school. But they're either all married/have kids, etc., so I don't hang out with anyone.

What drew me into teaching was helping people. I actually think the middle school I was assigned to was more fun compared to the elementary school just because I feel like there was less pressure on me to be at a level of expectations that I felt in the elementary school I was in. But I'm moving away from education. If I couldn't handle it student teaching, then it's a loss cause.

20. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Apr 11, 2010

i'm not saying you shouldn't pursue being a teacher, but if you feel now its not for you......you have learned earlier than alot of people.

You certainly don't want to be like the other person on here that hates what she does still after 20+ years. It's sad.

I wanted to be a lawyer from 3rd grade, went to law school - after investing tons of money I realized my heart wasn't in it and I couldn't see doing it for a life time, so I started subbing and fell in love.

There is something out there for you. You job now is to determinewhat that is. Best of lunch.

21. shouldbeasleep

Apr 11, 2010

Tour guide!

Fitness director on a cruise ship!

Camp counselor!

Swimming instructor!

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2010

OK, so you're drawn to history and to people. It seems like work in a museum would be a good fit.

23. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

Apr 11, 2010

You should also consider positions that revolve around service learning and volunteerism within (urban) communities. Your knowledge of history and social economic status could be useful if you were a volunteer coordinator (or similar position).

24. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Apr 11, 2010

Have you taken a Myers Briggs test, which is a survey of your interests? You also may want to check out a book about your personality types, called Do What You Are by Paul D. Tieger and Barbara Barron-Tieger, that matches personality types to sample careers.

I really feel for you here, because I too have had a pretty disasterous ST placement. I will get another placement in the fall but my confidence has really taken a hit and I am getting some doubts about whether I am suited for a classroom career. So I wish you all the best of luck; it's better that you find out early...I am a career changer after 18 years+ in industry, hitting some rough spots now.

25. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Apr 12, 2010

I've done the Myers Briggs test, if not something similar when I was in college.

I really don't know what I want to do at this point. I've been out of college for 5 years coming this May and I have yet to use the degree. The only jobs I seem to qualify for are retail/customer service jobs that pay 8-10 dollars since my degree in history doesn't bring any marketable skills that people want.