'Finished Early' system

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jem, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 23, 2013

Hey, all!

This weekend's project is to figure out a system for my kids who finish in-class work early.

What do you use?

File box filled with activities?
    List of trivia questions to research and answer throughout the year?
    File folder games?
    Other thoughts?

I was going to fill a hanging file box with enrichment activity sheets, but thought I'd see if I liked anyone else's idea better. ;)

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 23, 2013

Whoops-double post!

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 24, 2013

You might check into Work Jobs. It is just like folder games, but has more than folders.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 24, 2013

Almost every time that my students finish work early, they grab their book bins and read. It's so simple for me, because 1) I don't have to prepare (and correct!) anything, and 2) They don't need help, so I am able to help other students.

They never get sick of it, and they're never confused as to what they have to do next. Plus, I was never fond of the idea of giving the kids that finish early even more "work." I've always loved simply having them read, and after reading The Book Whisperer this summer, I'm completely convinced that this is the best possible thing my students can be doing when they finish their work.

Sometimes I do put something extra out. For example, the week of Halloween, I may put out a word search or puzzle of some sort. Or if everyone is working on publishing a certain project, I'll give them the option of working on it if they finish early.

6. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Aug 24, 2013

My kids either read or get on the computer. On the computer they can do Math Facts in a Flash, Scootpad, TenMarks or any of the linked games or activities on Moodle. If they are caught up on AR, passed current math facts, completed all TenMarks, Scootpad lessons, they get to draw. My kids learn really fast that their is plenty to do and they would rather do one of those things than have me find them something to do. (Usually something quite unpleasant like copying all the A words in the dictionary. One time and they learn how to find something more productive.)

7. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 24, 2013

I post a list of blooms questions and have them go through the levels by answering at least 2 questions from each level in today's topics or create a frayers vocabulary card. My students usually almost never finish early but we have to have something in place

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2013

My kids put their unfinished work in their cubbies (that´s also where I have them keep their journals, writing folders, etc.). When they are finished and it is still work time, the procedure is always: 1) Check your cubby for unfinished work. If there is nothing to work on 2) Get your book box and read. It´s simple and easy, and helps my kids finish the work they might not have had time to finish before (once we get started, they almost always have something in their cubby!).