Finging a Job?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by LatterDayTeach., Aug 10, 2011.

1. LatterDayTeach.

LatterDayTeach. New Member

Aug 10, 2011

Hello everyone :)

I;m a home school teacher from the Salt Lake City area. I'm looking for a job in a public high school teacher. I'm not really concerned about finding a job, but I would like to know how much you guys work on the weekends, because the church takes up most of my time, obviously.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2011

Are you a certified teacher? Many teachers bring work home with them, others go to school early or stay later to get everything done. As a first year teacher, it's a bit more work and more time consuming until you develop your personal routines and management of the planning and work. That said, many teachers on these forums are able to find a alance between professional and personal obligations. What content area are you hoping to teach?

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2011

Finding a job in a public high school teacher might be a little tricky.... :haha:

In all seriousness, I think your weekends will be as busy (or not) as you want them to be. I don't do any school activities on the weekend because I value my family time. I use my planning time at school effectively and take care of everything while I'm at school during the week. It's absolutely doable.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2011

:eek::rolleyes::lol:

6. LatterDayTeach.

LatterDayTeach. New Member

Aug 10, 2011

Well I'm not certified I just wanted an opinion on how busy I'd be before I put in the time and effort..although soming into school would be better than staying after or on weekend because i have many children and a husband to take care of (hahaha)

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 11, 2011

I'm not sure that you should be worrying about how busy you'll be. It's a job, a full time one, and you have to learn the balance. I think you should focus on what you want to teach, and whether or not you can focus on that subject and teach it well.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2011

Teaching is a PROFESSION. It requires some commitment, time and effort. It's NOT like homeschooling your own kids. Maybe you could go observe a high school class before making this decision.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2011

As others have mentioned, teaching is a pretty huge commitment of time and effort and energy. Those first 3 or 4 years in particular bring a very steep learning curve-- there's a LOT to learn that can't be taught in college.

As to working weekends: teaching requires time beyond those contracted. That's a given. Lessons need to be prepared, tests and quizzes need to be created and graded. We need to keep up with documentation and report cards and progress grades, and to return emails and phone calls to parents. All of that is non-negotiable. In the beginning particularly, that planning can take huge chunks of time. Many of us spend time over the summer doing some of it, but teaching still requires time during the school year.

Probably the biggest chunk of that in the beginning is planning. It's up to the individual teacher to take a year's syllabus and break it down into manageable 38 minute chunks, then find a way to explain it so each of the 30 or so kids in front of us understands.We need to have a clear explanation, along with ways to differentiate for any kids who need more or less of an explanation. And the syllabus needs to be covered completely; that's non-negotiable. So figuring all that out is tricky for the first few years you teach any course or grade.

A lot of us here have kids and spouses. Some are also juggling health issues. Others have aging or ill parents. And all of that is incredibly important. But the kids we teach also deserve nothing but our best-- their education is too high a priority to give them anything less. So, for the vast majority of teachers, it's an incredible juggling act. When things get incredibly rough, administrators can be amazingly kind-- I know mine were a few years ago. But realize that their bottom line is the students, not your home life.

As to finding a job: I'm guessing you already know the answer to that. This has been a brutal year for teachers. Tens of thousands of wonderful, fully qualified teachers have been victims of the budget cuts and have been laid off. The only not-horrible areas are Physics, Chemistry and Math. Perhaps things will have turned around by the time you get certified, though I'm not sure I would bank on it.

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 11, 2011

Forgive me for stereotyping a bit here, but surely there are other Mormon teachers with large families in your area. Ask them how they find the balance, and if they feel it takes too much from their family time.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2011

LatterDay...there's a bit of introspection you should do before making this decision:
    Why do you want to teach?
    What do you want to teach?
    Do you have a depth and breadth of knowledge in the content area you wish to teach?
    Do you have the disposition and commitment it takes to be a professional educator?
    Do you have your family's support?

12. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2011

I don't know what class sizes are like where you live, but as a high school teacher I have about 175 students every day. Are you prepared for that?

13. KatherineParr

KatherineParr Comrade

Aug 11, 2011

Class sizes in Utah are quite large. We have pretty average state funding combined with a high student population. So that means big classes. The schools themselves are often attractive and modern, though.

14. katie11

katie11 Rookie

Aug 29, 2011

Yes its really true, finding job in public school is tricky. Thats why i became full time private tutor on tutorz site. Now i'm earning money well as well as tutoring students according to my time flexibility.