Fingers crossed

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by newbie23, Jul 20, 2009.

1. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 20, 2009

So I interviewed last week for a school district 2 hours away but in my home state. The district is pretty small and at this particular elementary there is only 1 teacher per grade level with the exception of 2 for 4th or 5th. I interviewed with a panel of 3 teachers, the principal and a parent who all asked pretty standard questions. Even though it was a panel, I felt much more comfortable and confident than most of my one-on-ones, maybe because I felt like I had 5 people forming an opinion and listening to what I was saying rather than just one person deciding yay or nay.

Anyway, when I got home I had an email from the principal asking if I could provide her with an alternate contact for one of my references. I took this as a positive sign since they interviewed 4 and were going to probably be taking 2 to the supt. for a final interview. I didn't hear anything on Friday so I was concerned that my reference might be on vacation and fearing I'd lose out. But, low and behold I got a call on Saturday from the principal setting up a final interview with the supt. tomorrow. What seems even more exciting is that the principal was supposed to be on vacation all week but is going to be in the office and really wants to fill the position.

I've been in this spot in the interview process once before. I made it through the initial interview and then was selected along with 2 other candidates to interview with the supt. I didn't get the job and instead got a call that, "the other candidate just brought more to the table." In that interview the principal I had interviewed with wasn't attending but this time the P says she'll be there.

Any tips on how I can best prepare for this interview? Believe me, I continue to go over interview questions and have my outfit all picked out but I'm just wondering if there's anything specific a supt. might be looking for that might not have been covered in the first interview.

Thanks in advance for all of your advice; it's nice to know others are feeling the same jitters and frustration!

3. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 20, 2009

Just look over the question thread that deals with job interview questions. I would expect the same kinds of questions. I would practice until your answers are automatic and not forced. Anything that will help calm your jitters will be to your advantage. Being prepared is usually the best advice. And don't forget to wear your SMILE! Good luck. I hope they call soon!

4. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 20, 2009

I agree with SCT. Just prepare yourself...I also googled things just to get more info. I know I KNOW these things but as a new teacher I just wanted to boost my confidence.

On a side note, I just interviewed at a small public K-12 school in a rural area. There are only 2 or 3 teachers in each grade level at least for K-5. I'm a little nervous about this because I'd be one of the 2 or 3 and would only have a small team to work with. I know this could have its benefits as well. It is just a different situation for me since when I was student teaching there were 13 teachers on a team. However at this point, I just want a job and can deal with anything for a year. Good luck!!!

5. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 20, 2009

I understand completely. I went from ST at a district with only 1 elementary for grades P-2 and another for 3-5. There were 23 teachers on the 2nd grade team I worked on. It's nice to have that collaboration and support. But... at least I won't be compared to what page the teacher next door is on in the math book. I realize that comparisons are always made whether its with the previous teacher or how others expect you to teach but I know that's one thing that drove me crazy during student teaching. I think as long as I can find other supportive teachers, regardless of their grade level they'll be an immense help.

Of course then you worry that next year the 4th grade teacher will be saying, "what was that 3rd grade teacher thinking!" It's a lot easier to place "blame" or make assumptions when there is only one teacher's class feeding into yours.

6. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 21, 2009

Final interivew with P and Supt. today at 2. I'm really nervous about it especially since I've been in this spot before and didn't get it. Part of me wishes I'd walk in and someone would throw confetti (ok, even just shake a hole-punch) and say I got it. Somehow, I think I still have some woo-ing to do though.

The P said at the 1st interview that she hoped to take "a few" candidates to the supt. for the final interview. But with them only initially interviewing 4 people, I doubt that more than 2 will interview with the supt.

Oh well, I guess I'll know something soon enough.

BTW does anyone else talk to themselves in the car on the way to interviews? I'm sure the people around me think I'm strange but I talk though interview questions (and sing the occasional journey song) all the way there.

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2009

I talk and sing all the time in the car! I have a 45 min commute by myself, so I need to do something :) :lol: Good luck today!!! be yourself and go into the interview knowing its your job for the taking. Can't wait to hear good news!! :D

8. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 21, 2009

Good luck!!! Please let us know how it goes! Oh and yeah I talk to myself in the car. I think of a potential interview question and then answer it verbally. :)

9. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 21, 2009

Good Luck! And yes I do talk to myself on the way to interviews. :)

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2009

Good luck!

11. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2009

Good luck! Try not to second guess yourself or worry too much. You got yourself to this point, so they obviously like you. Give them more of that and you will be fine. :D

12. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2009

Good luck!

13. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 21, 2009

I hope it went well!

14. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 21, 2009

I got it! I'm now a 3rd grade teacher. How surreal!

Thanks for your well-wishes and advice. This board does so much to raise my spirits, inspire me and of course allows me to vent.

15. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 21, 2009

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :)

16. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2009

That's awesome! Congratulations!

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2009

Congrats!!!!! :celebrate: