Fingerprints

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by tbduarte1, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 20, 2014

I got through right away when I called the NY cert office back in January... but that's because I timed it for the phone to ring exactly at 9:00 :)

2. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 20, 2014

Well then, yeah you certainly got through but also it was January not May-Aug where it's high season time.:p I hated being hung up on through the automated system.:mad:

3. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 21, 2014

I didn't have to pass a criminal history check as far as I know (and I live in NJ). All I had to do was get the oath of allegiance notarized and I *think* it asked "Have you ever been convicted of a crime?" but so did my student teaching paperwork - and they didn't conduct a background check.

I am aware of that. I can't get fingerprinted because the district will only give the information to get fingerprinted out at an interview. Called them two days ago, they said that the one person who interviews substitutes has been busy, because school is going to start in a few weeks, and the backlog of substitute teachers is "very large"

4. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2014

• Phone: (916) 322-4974, Option 2 - (M-F 12:30 PM to 4:30 PM PT)

If that number doesn't work, try hitting zero a lot of times, that usually with cause a system to default to a person because you confused it

:hugs: I am sorry that happened to you. I have been out of work a long time, we lost our house, Dh struggled to pay all the bills alone, and my oldest and his family kept moving back in with us when they had problems. It was a huge struggle.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2014

Bros, I had no idea if you are just a sub (no offense) or a teacher who is now simply subbing. You are right, to sub what you describe rings true, and I can tell you that it is bad this time of year for fingerprints. I might suggest to you that you find out about archiving your prints once you receive your criminal history letter, so that you won't have to be printed ($$) for every district you apply in. The OP had student taught, and they won't let you into a school, in NJ, to do that without being cleared and fingerprinted. I don't know about other states, except Kansas, which is the same, but I suspect that fingerprints for student teachers is the norm. It just seemed like a shame that OP couldn't access or use those fingerprints, but in CA, it seems, they don't archive prints. In this day and age of digital everything, not being able to access prior prints seems archaic.

6. tbduarte1

tbduarte1 Rookie

Aug 21, 2014

I appreciate the help. I emailed them and I will call them today. The problem is with the DOJ though so I am not sure if the CTC can even begin to help.

7. tbduarte1

tbduarte1 Rookie

Aug 21, 2014

Sooooo. I have been emailing and calling everyone. One of the people I emailed was Wes Chesboro. The California State Assemblyman for my district. His exectuive assistant wrote me this morning and asked for my information and said she had a contact at the DOJ. Within ten minutes my Super called me and said it just cleared. Wes now has a constituent for life.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2014

So you have a job????

9. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 21, 2014

Congrats! Glad for you that it all worked out!

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 21, 2014

That is awesome news!!! :thumb:

11. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 21, 2014

I'm so happy the fingerprints were taken care of!!!! So they still gave you the job? Did they even explain what went wrong done at the DOJ?

12. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 21, 2014

While this is awesome news for you, the DOJ should be ashamed of themselves for making you go for this. I am so happy that you kept pushing for it!! I hope this means you get a job!!

13. tbduarte1

tbduarte1 Rookie

Aug 21, 2014

I do have the Job. I sent my TB test results in to my Super. They did not explain what went wrong with the DOJ. I am just so happy and so relieved.

14. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 21, 2014

Again, so glad it worked out for you! And great that your local politician helped you out!

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2014

Congratulations! AGAIN!!

16. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2014

Happy, happy, what a good thought on your part! I'm not even sure I could tell you who my rep is, so absolutely exceptional. Well Done!

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2014

Backlog...hmmm, that doesn't sound good at all bros...are you considering widening your circle of districts/schools for whom you'd consider subbing? Time is ticking by.... After waiting on this on district for QUITE a few months, what other options are you considering at this point?

18. rix

rix Rookie

Aug 21, 2014

:) I just read the history of your situation and am so happy for you and your family. God Bless

I am in a similar situation. Offered a teaching position in CA, awaiting live scan fingerprinting results from DOJ.

School starts on Monday and I check every day for updates. any advice?

19. tbduarte1

tbduarte1 Rookie

Aug 21, 2014

Write all the politicians for your district. That is the only thing that worked for me. I wish I had more advice but since 2010 they do not man the phones at the DOJ anymore.

20. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2014

Glad it worked out for you. I am just sorry you had to deal with all of that.

Yep, sometimes getting the politicians involved is what is necessary, when DH was stationed in Germany they tried to get me to go from Battle Creek MI to Wisconsin to apply for my passports, I had shipped the car, all of our stuff (military sets that schedule), and they told me to take the ferry, in December. Then told me it would be at least four months to get the passports. I called my local Washington guy, he arranged everything I got the passports and was gone in a week. No problem and no trip to Wisconsin on a ferry in December with three kids under 5

21. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 22, 2014

I'm certified as a teacher (received my CEAS's in Feburary). Haven't been approved as a sub by my local school district (applied in January) yet, due to a large backlog.

I did not have to get fingerprinted before student teaching and I student taught in a public school in NJ.

They told both myself and my brother that they had a backlog on separate days when we called - he is not certified, I am.

At the rates subs are paid, there aren't many other districts I can sub for - it'd be $16 a day for the schools around me in the district I live in, before tip, so like $20 after tip. For the schools in the district that are past a highway, it'd be $20 a day before tip (~24 after). Subs with a teacher cert are paid like $95 or $105, so that's what, like $80 after taxes? Then it'd be around 56-60 dollars take home. That's just for the district I live in. Going outside the district costs $25-30 round trip for the ones right outside my town, depending on if it is a school right at the border with my town, upwards of $40-$60 round trip if not.

22. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2014

Screw that! That pay is insulting! When I was subbing I made between $75 and $95 a day. And I would rarely take work at the cheap district.

$16 a day? You make more flipping burgers!

Sucks to be where you are, hopefully things get done faster so you can get into subbing. BUT.....there is rarely any sub work the first three weeks anyway. Seven years subbing has taught me that. So you do have a bit of time left, even with school starting soon.

23. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 22, 2014

Bros is referring to the taxi cost I believe, and not the sub pay rate.

24. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2014

Oh thank goodness.....I was horrified

25. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2014

Bros, from what I have read on the forum about teaching in the northeast, they look for people with experience. So what if you don't get paid that much after taxi fare...you need the experience...not the money.

You live at home and receive government help, so the excuse that the money is too low is not really valid.

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2014

Bros...what swansong posted has been suggested before. You are putting all 'your eggs in one basket' but from your experiences with them so far, you really can't count on your one closest district for subbing or full time employment...it's just not a good idea for anyone in this hiring climate to limit their opportunities. Your situation is somewhat unique, but the longer you go without any work experience, the more difficult it will be to successfully interview for and secure a position.
    So, again, what other options are you considering?

27. rix

rix Rookie

Aug 22, 2014

Thanks , am working on it this morning

28. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 22, 2014

With SSI, after earning $65 in a month, for every $2 I earn, $1 is subtracted from the $524 I get a month.

If I earn above $770 in a month, it activates a trial work period. If I do this 9 times anytime in a 5 year period from the first time I hit the $770 mark, I lose SSI, as hitting the trial work period threshold for 9 non-consecutive (or consecutive) months in a 60 month period means that the individual is nondisabled and able to perform substantial gainful activities.

I've applied to a variety of districts.

Daily, I check the eight districts closest to me for job posting.

I also check njschooljobs.com and njhire (for the former, I just look at the county and look for my county and the one right near me).

I have applied to jobs outside of the eight districts closest to me - one was at a charter school near one of the districts. Another was accessible by a ~30 minute train ride.

There was a position that was posted that I qualified for, but there was no way for me to feasibly get there (no train service, $150-$180 daily cab fare, round trip). So I did not apply for that one.

Another posting was in a district that kept posting jobs, was accessible by train, but not at a time that made it accessible by train for working purposes (It would've either gotten me there 30 minutes late or 3 hours early every day, with no train service back home).

I've been considering taking the Social Studies Praxis and get a K-12 license, since I have 36 credits of History, but that wouldn't help much - it's not like social studies is an area of high need.

I can't sub in three nearby districts (out of seven, i'm excluding the one I live in) - they use a popular substitute service that only interviews in two locations, none of which would be cheap to get to by taxi or would be possible to get to by train.

Two of the remaining four aren't looking for substitute teachers at this time, at least from what I can tell from their sites.

Then the other two also have backlogs, from what I can tell from their sites.

29. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2014

I'm glad you are looking for other jobs. Good luck!

30. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 22, 2014

If you only have to go to the sub interview once, why not just pay to go to that interview? It's only one trip and would give you more options.

31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2014

So bros you seem to be in a bit of a catch 22. Afraid to make too much money subbing so you don't lose ssi but you have no job experience at all which makes you less competitive. You don't want to travel too far because of taxi expenses. Elephant in the room but the social anxiety and needed supports due to the disabilities you've told us about make the situation a bit more difficult. School starts within 2 weeks in most NJ districts and from what you've posted you're not on any sub list in any district. The longer you go without getting some kind of experience, the harder it just gets, bros.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.