Fingerprinting parents who want to help

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sarge, Dec 2, 2010.

1. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Dec 3, 2010

Some of our schools even require parents to get TB test certificates prior to volunteering. Parents must do this throught their own insurance or through the local health department.

2. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Dec 3, 2010

We recently adopted a similar policy in my district. All volunteers, including parents, are required to have a criminal record check and a child welfare check before they can volunteer for any school activity. There is no cost to parents to get the checks, it's just more of an inconvenience.

Personally, I have no problem with asking parents to submit these documents before they start volunteering, but I do think it's absolutely ridiculous that it is required to be done EVERY YEAR. Apparently these checks are only good for a year where I live, so the parents have to go through the whole process every year if they want to continue volunteering. The craziest thing is that I don't even have to get the checks done yearly. I had all that done before I was hired ten years ago and I haven't had a check since. That doesn't make sense to me.

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 3, 2010

I've had to get multiple criminal record checks... student teaching, substitute teaching, and then again when I got my contract.

I've never had to take a TB test for school, but when I was going through university, I worked at a daycare where I was required to pass a TB test. I failed it, but that was because I got a TB shot as a baby... I always test positive for TB.

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Dec 3, 2010

Did you go on the trip?

Here there is different ratios of students to chaperones for different types of field trips and different age. For example 5th graders went to Philadelphia this year. The student/chaperone ration was 1:6 *our school doesn't allow parents to chaperone field trip so they have TA's and teachers to chaperone and then hire subs for all of those people...seems crazy to me, none of the other districts I worked for did that but it makes sense bc the school district is ultimately responsible for the saftey of the students and parents can not necesarily control kids, they wind up chatting among each other and not supervising the students.

5. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 3, 2010

Our policy is that if the parent is working in the childs classroom they do not need a background check but if they would be working around the school and not only with their child they would need the background check. We are taking an overnight field trip and that requires a background check.

I dont think the act of wanting to have a background check or finger printing is bad I think charging 60 bucks is the crime!! This should be done for free or for a small fee.