Fingerprinting logistics and worries

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by texashistory, Aug 13, 2014.

1. texashistory

texashistory Rookie

Aug 13, 2014

So yesterday I had an interview...my first and at the end the principal told me she would be contacting HR to recommend me for hire! I'm so excited I gave myself a headache and had to nap :blush: The principal wanted me right off and I got such good vibes from her so I'm dueling excited about the school and working under her.

I just feel like a weight has been lifted but now comes the final touches.

HR contacted me with the accept/decline email so they can continue processing my application towards final approval and a contract. BUT they mentioned a receipt from FAST PASS that I'd done my fingerprinting.

Unless I want to drive to Abilene or Dallas the fingerprinting places to get it done like tomorrow since everywhere near me are "schedule full" this week and through Tuesday. I was lucky to find an opening 8/20!

I'm getting a little worked up on them possessing holding a contract over until the very last minute. I NEED to give my current job my resignation ASAP. Getting a final contract 8/22 and having to pretty much quit would be so bad and not me! My job pretty much got me this teaching job due to the experience. Everyone is telling me it's such a little deal and to not get worked up over it but I can't help it. I need to give them something this MONDAY. But I don;t feel right until I have something in writing aka a contract from the district.

I'm registered for fingerprinting and my background is about as clean as a newborn babies (no tickets honest!) so I'm not worried I just want to get the ball rolling because I still have time. I just want to be complete.

I want to email HR in the morning and tell them I'm registered for the fingerprinting with a standing appointment 8/20 but I DON'T want to sound pushy and I know rules are rules but I would be crushed if I have to wait until the very last minute to sign and be done because who knows how long the fingerprinting will be processed.

I'd pretty much have to quit my job and I don't want to just up and quit because they deserve better and I'm not that person. I'm probably getting myself too worked up over this but it's making me want to cry.

I want to enjoy being blessed but the logistics are getting to me. It's probably not as big a deal as I'm making it but I don't want to be pushy or anything but if they hold that one thing when my background clearance comes through perfect and everything else is done I'll just cry I know it.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2014

Texas is huge, but I would make the trip to get the prints done. Not saying everyone would, but it would make sense to me. That done, I would then stress that you are trying to do the right thing for your existing employer and just see if they can help you out. They may be impressed by the fact that you took the effort to hurry things along, while being a considerate employee as well. Everyone will see this differently, but I would see if any of this would apply to your situation.

4. HottyToddy

HottyToddy Rookie

Aug 13, 2014

I would make the drive.

Otherwise, email them and tell them you have an appointment set so they know roughly when to expect something and close with "If you need any other information between now and then, please let me know. I'm very excited about this opportunity and look forward to hearing from you." Not pushy, gives them a timeline and reaffirms your interest. There may be other steps they can complete before the fingerprinting that they typically do after.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2014

Get it done. Make the drive.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2014

I agree with both of these. How far are you from Dallas? If it's a reasonable drive, then I would make that drive. Email HR to let them know of your plans. If Dallas or Abilene are too far, then let them know of your appt time. Good luck and have a great year!

7. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Aug 13, 2014

If you can you should make the drive. The peace of mind will be worth it.

8. tired.mom

tired.mom Companion

Aug 13, 2014

I'm in the middle part of Texas, and I'd make the drive. Do it, it will be worth it. And do give your current employer a heads up, as they probably know that you have been looking. If they're remotely familiar with the red tape that government entities (which is what a school district is!) entail, they should understand.

Congrats and best of luck!!!

9. texashistory

texashistory Rookie

Aug 13, 2014

Well I checked this morning and finally found something. This Friday morning in Galveston. Not as far but pretty much the same with work traffic since it's at 9am :eek:

I doubt processing time will be any faster today, tomorrow or Friday so Friday it is.

I am curious as to how that works with so many people doing it right now and the long processing time do schools just have subs holding the class until September or whenever final fingerprint clearance goes through so you can actually sign the contract?

I would think if that were the case hiring would end at the end of July so people would actually have everything complete in time and not hiring up until the first day of classes.

10. smalltowngal

Aug 13, 2014

I'm pretty sure it's just precaution and that schools would still allow you to sign your contract without having the fingerprints. I'm glad that you found something closer and earlier!!

11. texashistory

texashistory Rookie

Aug 13, 2014

Me too! From where I live just getting to Downtown is an hour and a half and Galveston is another hour and a half with traffic because I'm going to get right in the thick of rush. So lots of gas and lots of music :lol:

12. smalltowngal

Aug 13, 2014

Music is a must in long commutes! Be careful driving!

13. texashistory

texashistory Rookie

Aug 13, 2014

My neighbor is a retired teacher and I talked to her yesterday about the drive she said she'd ride with me since it's so long and that was when I thought I'd have to go to Dallas or Abilene!

I love her! With my grandparents gone she's just awesome.

14. smalltowngal

Aug 13, 2014

Glad you have company! Always makes the drive easier to bear.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2014

Treat her to lunch somewhere on the way back.:love: