Fingerprinting...how low have we stooped ?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Hartlepool, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Dec 2, 2010

This has to be the lowest point ? Is there anything else the USA wants to add to this? The UKplc,quite unfortunately,tends to follow US "lunatic" trends....please let us know the next one so we can all just wrap in even trying to teach !!!!:thanks:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2010

I'm confused. What is the issue? Has there been a new law regarding fingerprinting in the UK?

4. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Dec 2, 2010

Not as yet....thankfully....but it's only a matter of time. Anything you lot do then we are (sadly) not far behind. As ever with these things there will be a money-fee-charge attached. Playing on fear !

5. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Dec 2, 2010

What's wrong with being fingerprinted? I"m confused too....

6. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Dec 2, 2010

Er...well....in BRITAIN it is something we do to a CRIMINAL !:|

7. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Dec 2, 2010

It's a preventative action that is a necessity. If someone committed a crime in Florida but they are living in California, it may not show up therefore fingerprinting needs to be done. Unfortunately, there are a lot of bad apples nowadays, more so than in the past, so when people are fingerprinted they now know they are in the system which will hopefully deter them from doing illegal activities whether it's drugs or illegal things with children.

There are SO many people (criminals) who try to get a job in teaching because you would be working with kids. Very SICK people who want to hurt kids try to do this. By having these guidelines and rules deters them. If fingerprinting stopped here for teachers, I would homeschool my child and I am against homeschooling. I want my child in a safe environment when she attends school.

8. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Dec 2, 2010

I thought you looked kinda shifty there Hart.:lol:
    Our problem here is we dont want some low life
    child molester into the schools if we can help it.
    Finger printing seems to help I guess. We didnt start
    till about 15 years ago in my district.

9. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Dec 2, 2010

Arrrrrr....I see....You have deleted the "fingerprinting" thread on teacher time out !!!!!! Naughty you . Did the Governor of California complain ??????????? :whistle:

10. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Dec 2, 2010

Fingerprinting and background checks on people who work in certain fields (childcare, teaching, law enforcement, healthcare, etc.) are good things. If you are referring to the other post that requires parent volunteers to pay for their own fingerprinting, that's a different issue altogether. But I'm not sure if many teachers would disagree with the fingerprinting requirement for individuals whose jobs entail working with children. It's a necessary precaution.

11. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Dec 2, 2010

Hi Stephenpe.....in Britain fingerprinting is a sign of criminality. As for "low lifes" in teaching....the GTCE have sacked 18 , yes 18 , for various offences, though mainly fraud !!!! 18 in 13 years I might add . Keep your finger printing please.

12. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Dec 2, 2010

Clearly this is a cultural issue....we (Brits) resent criminal type treatment...wether it be fingerprinting or queing to passport control in your airports....despite the so-called "special relationship". We really do stand up for ourselves sometimes.;)

13. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Dec 2, 2010

Whether , sorry

14. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Dec 2, 2010

You just know this thread is going to be deleted !:whistle:

15. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Dec 2, 2010

In childcare settings (like preschools/nurseries) I have had to be fingerprinted, had a background check done, drug tested, and had to have a tuberculosis test, as well as having a doctor do a physical before employment.

In public school settings, I had a background check, drug test, and physical.

Is it fun? No. Is it annoying? Yes. Is it invasive? Well, maybe. I really didn't like it when I was fingerprinted in the area where they take the criminals when they enter the jail. I was honestly a bit scared. But you do what you have to do to get the job.

I'd rather know that my fellow teachers do not have a criminal record, TB, or are regularly using drugs. I think as teachers we are held to a higher standard than some other employees.

16. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2010

Several years ago, when it was still experimental, I was asked to do a body scan in an airport. Then I was randomly stopped to have my bags searched. My friend laughed at me that I must have looked like a terrorist - for some reason I was just really getting picked on that day. It was the only time I have ever been scanned or had my bags searched in an airport.

It was in Heathrow.

17. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Dec 2, 2010

Heathrow is an international merry-go-round....if it had been Teesside Airport I would have lost all hope for mankind.

18. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Dec 2, 2010

I had to get fingerprinted to get my teaching job and I had to get fingerprinted to get my concealed carry permit. It is not something that is just done to criminals and is a way of identifying individuals and making sure they don't have a criminal record.
    I, for one don't appreciate being called a lunatic because we do background checks on the people who work with our children.

19. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Dec 2, 2010

I was pulled up at Hollyhead once......I don't hold that against the Welsh......it was just bad luck !!!! Your checks at Florida are a disgrace ! Many Brits complain at the herd-like treatment we receive....and WE don't all look like terrorists either !!!

20. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Dec 2, 2010

Frankly IT IS lunacy....live with it !

21. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Dec 2, 2010

I'd like to feel sorry for you Midwest, but I don't, you live with the system you have....just don't pass it on to us please. Carry on being fingerprinted , but , err , you won't be degraded that much should you ever want to teach in the Ukplc !

22. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 2, 2010

Fingerprinting around here is done electronically, so it take less than 5 minutes, and i really only a minor nusiance. Some of the school districts have their own equipment, so it's notl ike I have to go to the jail or something (our local HS district takes care of it for their 4 high schools as well as all the feeder elementaries)... I don't see a problem with it at all, because I'd rather know that I'm not working with people who have a history of doing things we don't want the children around.

23. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Dec 2, 2010

I give blood.....should I give the local school my pint of 0+ and have done with it ? Perhaps they can have my DNA ? The shirt off my bloody back? I TEACH , I AM NOT A BLOODY CRIM !

24. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2010

But none of us is responsible for what your government does.

25. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Dec 2, 2010

Er.....You vote don't you ?

26. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Dec 2, 2010

The university students of Britain showed our "so-called" government what they thought about tuition fees ,and a certain deputy primeminister who lied about them, by breaking into Tory party HQ and protesting loudly ! We won a war to be able to do this you know (1939-45) !

27. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Dec 2, 2010

And we are not responsible for what your government is doing over there. I don't see any of us over there with whispering in the prime minister's ear - "Hey, you should start fingerprinting everyone who want's to teach."
    YOu need to direct your frustrations to your elected officials.

28. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Dec 2, 2010

Sadly....and it is VERY sad....what ever lunacy your leaders come up with....ours sadly follow.....Mr Blair comes to mind !

29. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 2, 2010

And again...how is our voting responsible for the government of Britain?

It must be cultural, because I really don't see the big deal. If you're referring to Sarge's dilemma about fingerprinting parents, that's a rather extreme case. It is not the norm, although it might be, and once the bugs get worked out, probably not a bad idea.

There are some evil, weird creatures out there, who spend their time dreaming up ways to get into contact with children. Our responsibility as school districts is to prevent that from happening.

30. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Dec 2, 2010

Oh, and Midwest....never begin a sentence with "And" , we tend to view that as ,ermmmmm.....BAD ENGLISH ! :thanks: irony of course !

31. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Dec 2, 2010

I would hope , KCJO , that now Blair has gone....your government will have NO sway over us anymore. A lot of Brit families of troops in the middle east however would shout you down for your statement !

32. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2010

It seems to me that the problem here is not with our government's sway but with your government's inability to resist that sway. Encourage your elected officials to be stronger and more independent thinkers if you don't like the policy, but don't blame us private citizens here in the US for things that your government decides to do.

33. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Dec 2, 2010

We did.....we voted them out and we are bringing our troops home ! Perhaps we are AT LAST standing up to your leaders ! Its about bloody time !

34. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Dec 2, 2010

Hart, you are a breath of fresh air. Your sarcasm and cynicism is
    is refreshing in our little "lets not be controversial" forum. I guess I should say political but that gets threads moved or shut down.
    You seem to have some anger toward us across the pond that somehow our voting record influences your leaders too much.
    Just for your info. I DIDNT VOTE FOR THE @^#$^@#s that influenced Blair so strongly.:dizzy:

35. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 2, 2010

Ok, I was really trying to be polite. Now I'm just irritated.

I didn't realize my grammar was under scrutiny on a public forum. Would you like me to criticize yours? Let's start with spacing. There shall be no space BEFORE commas or end punctuation.

Also, we prefer not to use terms such as "er". It makes one sound somewhat...uncivilized.

Less problem teachers? Really. I do believe there are just as many "problems" in the UK as there are here, proportionally.

If you don't like the policy, fine. But do you really need to start insulting an entire populace who had nothing to do with it, AND insisting that your government is failing because of policies like it?

36. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Dec 2, 2010

I"m thinking you have more issues than this minute (read with a long U) issue of fingerprinting that is a necessary evil.

AND our votes have nothing to do with you since you are in another.....country.

37. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2010

I think you'd likely find that besides "bloody crims", that the constabulary and perhaps even barristers and solicitors are fingerprinted. In the US, anyone working in the securities industry is also fingerprinted.

Most in the US would consider it an impermissible invasion of privacy if it were nonelective; i.e., if all citizens were forced to get fingerprinted. Presumably if you really didn't want to get fingerprinted you could just quit.

I do like your enthusiasm, though.

38. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Dec 2, 2010

FYI - It's personal attacks, not controversy that is unwelcome here. As for politics, when I allowed it here, it took so much time to moderate that it was taking time away from my family. That's why I posted a policy that recommends taking political discussions to a political forum that is set up to handle it.

That aside, Hartlepool, you can continue posting without the personal attacks, please. As stated in the forum policies, there isn't anything wrong with disagreeing or stating your opinion as long as you aren't personally attacking people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.