"Fingerprint thread gone !

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Hartlepool, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Dec 2, 2010

Oh dear....civil liberties folk would not like that !

Put it back on ......we won a war for freedom.....so I thought !

3. Securis

Securis Cohort

Dec 2, 2010

The going consensus is, and I promise I'm not trying to upset anyone, that forums such as this aren't democracies. There's an user agreement which you agree with to become a member of these boards, essentially a signed contract. I've read the fine print on another vbulletin forum and unless our esteemed hosts here have done a total rewrite, the contract essentially says that all posts are the forum owner's property and the right to allow and remove material is reserved by the owner to do with, when, where, and how they please without notice or explanation. There's a ton of legalese but that is the core of it. Free speech isn't a guarantee though I have noticed our esteemed hosts here are very tolerant and patient.

If I'm wrong, then I'll stand duly corrected.

4. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2010

It also could have been moved to debates & marathons, where Amanda has responded with a statement of policy and her reasoning.

But Securis is also right about freedom of speech not applying on these boards. Even without a contract Amanda would be under no obligation to allow expression. If it were a wall of her house and she was happy to allow people to scrawl messages on the side, even invited them to do so, it would in no way mean she couldn't repaint her house or even paint over messages she didn't like for ANY reason.

5. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 2, 2010

6. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Dec 2, 2010

Actually, the topic did not seem to be very polarizing, except for one individual, and it was politicized by that same individual unnecessarily.

7. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2010

I did not get to commit in the closed thread

Having a couple "Limey" friends I found Hartlepool words quite normal British banter and it was mostly a cultural difference.
    His Attacks were really not personal, much as someone saying that Democrats are Liberal and Republicans are Conservative, they were generalizations. I mean I think the Bobbies not having guns is lunacy and I am sure that many a Brit would take umbrage with that.

Now lets smooth our feathers enjoy the season