Fingerprint clearance question

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ForeignPolicy, Dec 10, 2013.

1. ForeignPolicy

ForeignPolicy Rookie

Dec 10, 2013

So what the hell happens in the following situation?

I was offered a job and accepted it, returned all of the employment paperwork, got fingerprinting done, etc etc etc. I've met all of my dept members, know what classes I'm supposed to teach, etc, etc, etc.

The school board is meeting tomorrow and I'm supposed to have my contract afterwards. The semester ends on Friday. My fingerprint clearance has still not come back from DOJ, yet. School starts next semester on January 8th, January 6th is the report date for teachers. I was told by HR I "can't start work" until the clearance comes back.

What on Earth happens if nothing comes back before the end of the semester? Do they just go find someone else to take my job that already has clearance in the county and give my job to that person? We don't even have a signed contract yet bc the boars hasnt met since I was offered the job. Do they have a sub just sit there with the kids until my clearance comes back? Would I have to wait until the next board meeting in January to get my contract, either way? I'm a little freaked out by all of this, as something ALWAYS seems to blow up in my face if it can. I was offered the job 3 weeks ago and got livescanned 3 days later. Can I really somehow lose out on a position I've already accepted bc of a bureaucratic delay that is totally out of my control?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2013

Your school district may be able to 'lean on' those who are doing the clearance.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 10, 2013

I wouldn't worry so much just yet. Even though teachers have only this week and next, HR personnel is working at least part of the winter break and will be back before January 6th, I'm pretty sure.
    Fingerprint clearances shouldn't take that long. Mine took a week and 1 day (between getting printed and hearing from them with the job offer), yours is taking a little longer, but should be done within the month.
    Hiring a person takes a lot of effort and thought, just because they don't know if you will pass, I don't think they will just give the job to someone else. They chose you out of all the others, it's not just a quick decision. My bet, if the clearance doesn't come back, they might just keep a sub in there for w little while.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 10, 2013

I would think the worst case scenario for you would be that they ask you to take over with substitute teacher pay until they can finalize things. My guess is the district will pull whatever strings are needed to push things through if the new year comes with no news.

6. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Dec 10, 2013

The school could have another adult in the room with you if your fingerprint does not go through. If the fingerprinting has been done it should not take that long. You might go to the county office and see if you can get fingerprinted there if it is the only thing keeping you from the job (you might check with the district office first). Then you can become a substitute.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2013

Call and ask whether it's ok to have your local police precinct redo the fingerprinting. We did it there once when we were in the process of adopting my son. It was quick and painless and I bet they process it quickly.

8. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Dec 11, 2013

Are there any skeletons in your closet? There may be an incident, an allegation that they need to look into.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2013

I highly doubt this is the issue. A backlog is more likely the issue.

Aliceacc's suggestion is a good one. Check with your local police station.

Why is it you bring up skeletons so often?

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=165240&highlight=Skeletons

There's no reason to worry new teachers needlessly.