Fine Motor Skills

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by kinderkat, Dec 8, 2006.

1. kinderkat

kinderkat Rookie

Dec 8, 2006

I have some students, mainly boys, that have very poor fine motor skills. They have trouble using scissors and have difficulty writing. They even have trouble tearing paper and opening snacks. Does anyone have any good exercises to strengthen the muscles in their hands? It's 72 days into the year and I think they should have made some progress, but haven't seen much.:p

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2006

I did a lacing bear.

4. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2006

lacing cards, create a cutting bin for use during free time or centers, bead stringing, cheerio stringing, stringing anything, puzzles, play dough, cutting playdough, scrunching paper into balls with one hand, finger exercises, rolling balls of clay, using tweezers to pick things up, using tongs to pick things up.

This is all I can think of off the top of my head right now.

5. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Dec 8, 2006

Aside from all the "stuff" we do in a normal school day, I brought this up to several parents at our recent conference. With boys, I often hear, "they don't LIKE to color," and I also hear from both sexes, "but we don't let them have scissors." I printed out this info that I found online and handed it out to give the parents other ideas of things to do:

www.shrewsbury-ma.gov/schools/Beal/readiness/finemotoractivities.html.

I thought this was a very complete information source, and it included lots of things to do that weren't limited to paper-pencil tasks and are easy to do with little prep and little materials...for example, it tells you to have a child crumple up a piece of newspaper using one hand only. I told those parents of kids with super weak skills to pick one activity a day and try to do it. I've already seen a great improvement in two of the boys.
    Kim

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

7. QuigleK

QuigleK Rookie

Dec 13, 2006

Good suggestions listed. Something I have found also that kids like is using one of those hole-punchers that you squeeze. They will sit and puch holes forever!