fine motor experts?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by puff5655, Mar 1, 2012.

1. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Mar 1, 2012

I have 6 boys in my Kinder class who have very weak fine motor skills.

They do handwriting and journal writing daily, and work in a fine motor center for at least a half hour 3x a week. Not enough progress though..

How much time do they need to spend each day doing fine motor/actual handwriting to improve? They don't do much at home..

What kinds of activities besides playdo, legos, and beading will help?

The other problem is they spend more time in imaginative play with these items than actually building.

3. forkids

forkids Cohort

Mar 10, 2012

If you Google 'fine motor skills activities' you should find lots of ideas.
    I have handouts I've gotten from websites that I send home at parent-teacher conferences and stress that the child needs to work on this skill.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 10, 2012

You can integrate fine motor development into most activities during the day. Just pointing at the day of the week on the calendar can help. Pushing small cars around can help. Painting, coloring can help. How about picking up beans with a berry picker? Pick up sticks. Tossing balls. Picking up cotton balls with tongs....

5. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Mar 11, 2012

I have my students write or color on big paper that is hanging up so they are building their muscles that way. I also pass things around the circle ALOT to have them cross their mid line, believe it or not, it is tricky! We also do a lot of cutting. Have them cut lines straight, curvy etc to help build their strength. Without home support too it probably won't super improve. Also, talk to your school OT and see if he/she has things to help.

6. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Mar 11, 2012

I have some kiddos with fine motor issues this year too...my OT had lots of good ideas! One of the worst things to do is make them do paper pencil writing...however, kindergarten has changed A LOT and they have to be writing!

Having them pass items with clothes pins is good. I have some center activities that I found on the fcrr website where the kids match letters on a card to letters on clothes pins. They love it!!

Use a small pencil gripper and hot glue a tack inside. Then get any coloring page and tape it to a piece of cardboard. The kids then have to use the gripper/tack to punch holess along the black line of the coloring page! Make sure they use their wrist to control the poking, not their whole arm! Another favorite in my room!

Take a tennis ball and cut a slit into it and draw a face on it. The kids have to squeeze it open and "feed" it objects (pennies, marbles, etc.).

When they do play doh, let them be imaginitive, but first have them do some excersises that involve fine motor skills. These activities should be given by you and you should stay a few minutes to ensure they are done correctly. Them let them play!

Large paper on a wall is great too. It works gross motor skills as well.

7. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Mar 15, 2012

Great ideas!

Could you tell me the "why" behind the fact that paper/pencil tasks are the worst? I thought that was true, but can't remember the reasoning.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 15, 2012

What about making some playdoh?? I know on here I got a recipe for kool aid play doh... It's not to expensive... a couple things of Koolaid, flour, salt, zip lock bags so they could take it home. It may seem like something silly, but the more they work with it the more they stengthen those muscles. Ask them to roll snakes, balls. With the snakes they would make letters.

9. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 15, 2012

Playdoh is great, but modeling clay works more muscles in the hands. Also games were they move items using a clothes pin or a pair of tweezers, you can get plastic ones at the teacher supply store that are wonderful. Also kids like to make those magnets and coasters using those plastic beads that you place on a template and then melt with an iron. A big tub of straws and scissors and yarn...they love cutting them and then making necklaces out of them.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 15, 2012

I was just thinking the playdoh would be at least pretty inexpensive and you could send it home in a little baggie with everyone, so no one feels left our or single out....

You could probably add a little more flour or less liquid to make it more stiff to work with....

11. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Mar 22, 2012

I'm writing all these ideas down...thanks!!

Playdough is actually pretty expensive to make here. I live off the road system in AK (a village accessible only by plane) so groceries are pretty pricey. A 5-pound bag of flour is about $8, salt is $5! I'll order some modeling clay.

12. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 22, 2012

Is it that the pencil skills are the most tedious/least effective or that they are the least effective/most damaging?

I was unaware of a least effective/most damaging aspect....but I could totally see how it would be tedious and not actually use as many muscles are full on fine motor activities. In addition if you were to make a grip to compensate for non developed muscles (which many say is age appropriate at ECE ages) then you would have to relearn anyway. Totally wasting the kids time.

I don't know where you read it.....but I like it.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2012

Wa... I (personally) love the triangle pencils. I know I found them when I was teaching one year and they were black, so I gave them to the students for Halloween!!! They loved them. I like the triangle crayons as well!!!

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2012

Bummer....
    Our flour is about $2 a bag and salt a lot cheaper....

15. Cole_x

Cole_x Rookie

Mar 22, 2012

how about rolling pieces of tissue paper into balls then glueing it to a paper? I do this with my kids. Some hate that it takes so long to fill the paper, other's balk at the idea of rolling but in the end they all do it and I end up with some pretty neat looking pieces of art.

16. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 22, 2012

Ouch!!! how about mud...I have seen mud put into a sand table and the kids built with it. Yes, it is messy. But it works too!

17. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2012

This is a great website with a lot of ideas:

http://www.ot-mom-learning-activities.com/

Also, you can make playdough from a lot of stuff including sand or used coffee grinds. Try googling for recipes or ask me and I will post them. I know basics are expensive, but a regular recipe takes 3 cups of flour and 2 cups of salt and lasts for months.....clay is super expensive and much harder for them to manipulate.

I use a lot of tweezers, tongs, chopsticks with the kid helpers on them and clothespins during math activities so the kids have to pick up the manipulatives. We have been using a lot of eye droppers lately for art and science activities.

Some other things we have done lately:
    -tearing paper for the worm bin
    -moving water from one container to another by squeezing sponges
    -same thing with turkey basters
    -"sewing" using those blunt needles using yarn and foam plates or that shelf liner with the holes in it
    -shaving cream
    -"beading" with just about anything - strings, sticks, pipecleaners and regular beads, wooden beads, cut up pool noodles or paper towel inserts, beads made from paper,
    -homemade marble runs from pool noodles cut in half or tubes or paper towel inserts or gutters or the angled stuff that they pack around t.v.s and stuff
    -gardening - digging in the soil
    -burying treasure in the sand and digging it up
    -inserting coins or beads or cut pipe cleaners or pasta or nuts or rocks or whatever you can think of into water bottles or recycled yogurt containers with holes cut in the top

Gotta go....too many ideas. :)

18. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2012

Oh, and look at Teacher Tom's website. He has a lot of good ideas - look up tree cookies, for example. You probably could have a family make them for you.

19. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Mar 27, 2012

Awesome stuff. How long should kids be doing these activities each day? Half an hour doesn't seem long enough. Maybe some of them, like beading, could be done during circle time or reading? Or do you think that would be too distracting?

20. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2012

I wouldn't do it during reading or circle time, but free play, center time, outside time and other spare moments are all good opportunities. I am sure you integrate activities - for example, using tongs to count objects and sort them is both math and fine motor. Anyway, have fun!