Fine Motor Activitites

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by MassNerder, Aug 7, 2009.

1. MassNerder

MassNerder Rookie

Aug 7, 2009

So as part of my warm up for students as they come into school, I want them to begin with fine motor activities. I would have each table take a bucket for that day and work on an activity together such as legos, geoboards, or dominoes. I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions of fine motor activities for students to do in first grade. I'm looking for activities students may do independently without a specific set up for that day. Thanks.

3. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Rookie

Aug 7, 2009

Painting water on a chalkboard. Dry erase board writing. Pattern blocks or unifix cubes.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2009

I also have my kids sign in on the sign in page each morning to work with handwriting...we start out with no lines and move to lines on the paper after a little while.

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2009

http://kaplatoys.com/ These are awesome.

Have you thought about doing some sewing/cross stitch/embroidery with your kids? It's amazing how well they can do it and how much it helps their fine motor. Even the boys in my space like to do it.

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 8, 2009

how about playdough... you can have them make letters or spelling words or whatever if it's too open-ended (make mats and laminate them so they can reuse them)