Finding time to exercise

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by teacherguy111, Feb 19, 2015.

1. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Feb 19, 2015

Hello,
    How do you guys find time to exercise? I am a coach also and am finding it so hard to actually find time to go and exercise. I also have a young family and do not like to spend too much time away (as I already do with coaching!)

I want to try and play basketball more often when I am not in coaching season. But need some options for during the season aswell.
    I feel like it is effecting my mental health too.

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 19, 2015

I only have fur babies and a BF, so it's probably easier for me, but I do spend two hours in my car everyday. For me three things have helped:
    1. The gym is a mile from my house. That makes it much easier to want to go.
    2. I made connections at the gym with my fitness instructors and coaches. I missed a class one week and the next week, she made a point to tell me they missed me. That really helps my motivation.
    3. My best friend is also trying hard to exercise. She helps motivate me even though we don't go to the same gym.

I also really love the class I do on Thursdays. So even when friends invite me out, I usually say no. I also know I need to get healthy. This is the longest I've ever stuck to a workout plan since high school, and it's only been a month and a half. But I'm loving it!

4. bartleby

bartleby Rookie

Feb 19, 2015

I know a couple who are both teachers and are committed to staying in shape. At one point they both coached, though they phased that out as they had kids. They joined a gym that has child care for if they are on a solo mission. Otherwise, they alternate a lot so one is with the kids and the other working out, including working out in the mornings before work or on the weekends one works out and then the other. I think the reason it works is their commitment to it and support of each other. They do well but don't have a ton of money, and usually gyms with child care are pricier, but it is a worthy expense to them.

For the record, they seem like the happiest couple I have ever met.

Good luck!

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2015

As a coach why don't you set the model and take a few laps with the team?

I tutor most days after school but find time at least every other day to ride stationary bike or run. You can find time if you make it a prority :thumb:

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 19, 2015

You just have to make yourself go! I struggle w/ finding time to squeeze in exercise too! I'm not an early morning person, yet once I get home at the end of the day, I rarely feel like going back out. Fortunately, I also live very close to my gym. My apt complex has one too, but I never go there. The ideal time I like to go is during the 1 or 2pm hour since it's least crowded.

You could also hire a trainer like I did once, so you know you've paid for the pricey services & now obligated to go. When I did it, I liked that better than I thought.

I'm getting ready to go walk some laps at my indoor shopping mall in 30 min. I also like walking there.

7. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Feb 19, 2015

Thanks for the tips. I do demonstrate, do a few drills with the basketball team... but I mean proper exercise that really raises my heartrate etc. I played basketball in college and obviously we had planned practices etc and I was playing every day. I just find it really hard now that I don't 'have' to go to basketball.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2015

I'm not an early morning person so I don't go in the morning before school. For me, as long as I have my gym bag packed in the car and ready to go after work, I'm more apt to go to the gym on my way home. I'm lucky in the fact that the gym is on my way home so I just stop by at least 4 days a week. I also have 2 fur babies that love walking so my daughter and I will walk them. My daughter is old enough now that she's able to stay by herself for the time it takes me to work out.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2015

We walk around our neighborhood...hilly so it can get your heart going.

**Edit not right now...too cold & snowy...3 other seasons we do!!!

10. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Feb 19, 2015

Although I am a morning person, I hate getting up early just to exercise. I'd much rather stay under the covers and keep pushing the snooze button lol. But I make myself get up anyway because I know I won't exercise once I'm done with work.

11. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Feb 20, 2015

Yes!

I use to coach Cheerleading and would workout with my girls. I forgot how hard tumbling and stunting was. :dizzy:

Now I just make sure I plan for the gym-- literally put in my planner when I am going and what workout I am doing.

If it's important enough to you-- you'll make the time.

12. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 20, 2015

I totally know this feeling! I was on the swim team in college and boy not "having" to go to practice really makes me never go to practice! :lol:

It seems like you were/are a true athlete so I know that perhaps lesser workouts don't seem to be worth it, but I've read recently that 15-30 minutes of "slow running" a day is really good for you. Is it that two hour, twice a day, heart pounding, vomit-inducing workout you're used to? No. But you've got to remember doing something is better than nothing. Take advantage of your weekends, and maybe even your planning periods. Get in some squats, push-ups, wall-sits, etc during your planning period. Then do 30 minutes of running (or whatever) when you get home. Get in real workouts on the weekend.

Remember- something is better than nothing!

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2015

Aren't you working at home, Ms I? I'd NEED to get out everyday or I'd go stir crazy!:dizzy:! Maybe thats why you can get to the gym between 1-2? Teachers generally aren't going to make it during those hours although I have logged some walking mileage during lunch hour....a few colleagues an I sometimes walk into town for coffee and back.:thumb:

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 20, 2015

My husband is also a coach. He has a core subject plus coaching two sports in the spring. During the week, he leaves at 6:15 and isn't home until at least seven and is usually not home until eight. On Saturdays he has to leave anywhere between five and seven and isn't home until six or seven.

Finding time to exercise is almost impossible. We go walking together so we can get to spend some time together about three times a week. We usually go to the high school track because it is lit better than the streets. On Sundays, he hardly sits still working around the house and yard.

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2015

The only way I can squeeze is it in is in the morning. I recently bought an ellitpical machine and have been getitng up at 4:30 am to do my workout. I am too tired after work, so this is the only time that works for me.

16. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 22, 2015

I have recess duty once a week. I try to spend that time walking laps as I watch the kids.

I've found that once I sit down, after I get home, I'm done for the day. Therefore, I try to walk the treadmill as soon as I get home or after the dinner dishes are done. I find having a really awesome book on my kindle is a huge motivator. The only time I'll read/listen to it is when I'm on the treadmill.

17. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Feb 22, 2015

I'm thinking about buying a set of kettlebells or some sort of portable equipment. I hate going to the gym, mainly cuz of the crowdedness. I'd like to just pull over at a park anytime I feel like it (on the way home), bust out the kettlebells, and get in a quick, hard session. Then go home, shower, and enjoy the rest of the evening.

18. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 22, 2015

I change clothes at school, then I'm ready to go and less likely to just decide to go home. I also walk at the park next to my school before I leave to get my kids from their preK.

19. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 22, 2015

I do this too. I can be the queen of excuses and would find that even if I got into the car fully intending to drive to the gym after school, I'd often come up with something that I needed to do instead. If I'm already in my gym clothes, I'm committed, haha. It also helps with accountability since my work friends see me leaving in my gym clothes every day.

OP, it sounds like you would benefit from something that's really intense but really short, like T25. I have several friends who like that program. If you can stomach getting up early, it also seems that it would be easier to get up 30 minutes earlier and get the workout done so you don't have to worry about it after school with your other responsibilities.

20. nyssape51

nyssape51 Rookie

Feb 23, 2015

I usually workout as SOON as a finish school. I pack my clothes and shoes with me. Once the bell rings, I make sure to drive straight to the gym, instead of home! Now I do not have any kids or furbabies so this may sound easier said than done.

Why not talk a jog around your neighborhood with your littles? Even if its for only 15 minutues. Something to get your heart rate up.

Or, invest in a home gym, complete with cardio equipment, benches, dumb-bells, squat racks, barbells, etc. You could have your littles in there with you while you work out. Keep them occupied by letting them ride their bikes (depends how big they are), in a walker, or anything!

:)

Hope this helps!:)

21. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Feb 25, 2015

Once I have finished coaching… which could be as early as today. I really want to either go right after work for some type of exercise. Or have certain days a week that I will go to basketball open gym. I am hoping this will help me be more alert and happy. I have found myself getting overly angry recently. The other day (after 3 snow days -my school teaches online for snow days) for me, I was going crazy and got my car stuck in the driveway. I got unbelievably angry and could not calm down.

Need an outlet lol.