finding time to do small groups

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by 2love2teach, Dec 23, 2006.

1. 2love2teach

2love2teach Companion

Dec 23, 2006

I cannot find the time to keep small group instruction. When do you do your small groups?

3. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Dec 23, 2006

I'm afraid I can't be of much help! But I would also like ideas as to when to do small groups! I have tried many times, but I have one of those groups of kids that cannot function independently...AT ALL!! They also cannot stay quiet. I don't expect total silence...they are kindergarteners...but they just don't get the idea. I can't even get through five minutes of a small group without constant interuptions! I want try my small groups again after the holidays...and some suggestions would be helpful!

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 23, 2006

Small groups as in guided reading? I rotate them in when I have my literacy center time. One of my centers is Working with Mrs. * It takes nearly a semester to get my kids working independently enough before it runs smoothly. They need to know expectations and how to work in each center.
    I also have to teach them that when I am working with someone or a group, they MAY NOT interrupt me unless it is an emergency. An emergency is: Blood or Barf. (They know the B's!) I have to teach them to seek help from a friend or to wait until I can help them. You can't expect them to know how to do this, they really do need to be taught.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 23, 2006

I work with students in a small group during our workshop/center time. I'm assuming you teach kindergarten since you posted this question in the kindergarten forum. Do you do centers or workshop because that is the time that most teacher do small group instruction.

Now, I'm the only teacher in the classroom, so it took a while getting my kids used to working independantly while working with a group of kids. As long as you tell them your expectations and model, you should be fine.

6. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Dec 24, 2006

I also do small groups during centers. One of the things I have learned, is to only do one or two centers a day. I generally have four centers each week. Monday I don't have a special, so I do two centers and on Tuesday and Wednesday, I have specials, so I only do one center. I have also found that it works better when I am not a center. I just pull groups as I need them. THis way, I can make sure everything is flowing the way I want before I am indisposed to the class. (I do not have a para or anything.) They know the expectations because we spent a long time practicing first. For the first marking period, I did not pull groups, I just rotated around the room to make sure things were flowing smoothly. They know the consequence of not behaving at a center is to go back to your seat and draw a picture of what you should have been doing. (They want to do centers, so this is an excellent consequence for them.) My centers now flow smoothly and I am able to work with groups easily. Start with easy centers like puzzles, listening, things like that and then move into more advanced centers like games and writing.
    THe most important thing is to keep yourself available for the entire time at the start and stay diligent with your expectations.