Finding 'the magic' in teaching again, after you lost it

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 13, 2012

I felt like this year kinda killed it for me. There's many reasons why I had a bad year, and I can't even fathom doing this another year. I was miserable, and in turn I think it made my kids miserable. It just wasn't a good year.

Basically, I just lost the magic teaching once had for me. I didn't want to stay late anymore. I was tired of spending my own money on my classroom. I was sick of all the testing. It compounded all year, and today I finally dragged myself across the finish line and completed our last workday :)

After a lot of soul searching, I've decided to not throw in the towel just yet. I'm going to focus a lot of energy on finding a K-2 position, something I've wanted since I began my career.

I guess I'm just hoping for an uplifting story from a teacher who looked resignation in the face, plowed on, and got her groove back ;)

:anyone:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2012

I know that we all have these ups and downs. I know for me, every year is a struggle to continue doing what I know I should be doing, but with everything being asked of us is making it more difficult to enjoy it. There are moments where I find that magic again. I'm looking to stay in education but getting out of the classroom.

4. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jun 13, 2012

Two school years ago, I had an extremely tough time. I was going into a new grade with half the students having low academic abilities and behavior issues. By the time summer came, I was completely mentally drained.

I did absolutely nothing school related for two months in the summer to recharge. Then I picked up a few inspirational books called "The Fred Factor" and "The Child Whisperer", and that was all I needed to remember who I was. I went into the next school year more relaxed than ever before, and I felt I did my best teaching! :)

The moral? You just need a break!

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 13, 2012

2008-2009 was my first year teaching. It was horrific, as many of you who weathered my constant barrage of questions can attest. It was, however, a huge learning opportunity! I changed schools (which made things better automatically, due to a different "school culture" entirely) and find that the children I have now, while still often challenging, are much more "manageable," largely due to the methods and tactics I learned that first year!

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 13, 2012

I took a summer to relax and not even think about school! That helped me get through another year at a tough school before I switched to the terrific school I'm at now. The school change worked wonders for me! Enjoy your summer as much as possible!

7. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 13, 2012

I was in the same boat. I had a very hard year and just felt like an awful teacher because I wasn't enjoying myself. I made the choice to leave my school and I found a job at a new school, that will be a much better fit for me! I am hoping this year I can find that magic again due to being in a new environment. I wouldn't give up! Some years and students are just more challenging than others, but summer break is a great time to forget about the year and to just relax!

8. Jayneorama

Jayneorama Rookie

Jun 14, 2012

Can you identify the one thing that you found the most draining? Is it in your control, or not in your control? Can you find just one thing to focus on, so that you aren't burning up your recharging time working on work stuff, but so that you can take some time to make one meaningful change that will help you love your job again next year?

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2012

Hey, I tried to send you a PM, but your inbox is full! :)

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2012

I agree. Take a nice long break and then pick up a few teaching books when you can no longer hold of the urge to think about how to help students learn. You'll find the passion again.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2012

Go away for a few days. Find the money to give yourself a real vacation, see new sights and get away from everything that reminds you of school. Find some passions outside of the classroom. Give yourself the gift of a real break from everything school related, so you can come back reinvigorated.

12. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Jun 14, 2012

I'm so glad you asked this. I have been wondering if this is it for me too. New school, the kids are such hard work, the teachers are cliquey, the leadership plays favourites. Man! I was wondering if this is my last year. Thanks for the advice guys!

13. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 14, 2012

It happened to me a few years ago and others have said I did pinpoint what I really struggled with in the classroom, then it was managing an unruly bunch. Read a bunch of books to build up some new strategies, did take a break and really relax and recharge, came back to the brightest, most fun class ever!

14. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 14, 2012

This year was so bad....I truly figure ANYTHING would be better. It can only go up from here. :yawn: I plan to sleep for days and then start reading books to improve my practice. I know I am still excited about teaching overall.

15. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Jun 15, 2012

Me too

My problem is not the kids, its' the administration. Our hands are tied in the classroom, all the policies that used to make us a good school have been thrown out the window, and we are basically a diploma factory. But, I will go home, relax, and not do anything for school until at least August, and hopefully I will come back raring to go again.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 15, 2012

This happened to me and I just got a job at a new school. I have been here 6 months and I can't even begin to tell you how "revived" I feel. Working in a new environment might be just what you need.

17. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 15, 2012

I agree-- I work as hard I do because I love my school community. At my old school, I dreaded most days and was really stressed out because the school was not the right fit for me.

I like going on workshops over the summer-- learning some new ideas when my brain isn't already filled out and exhausted is the very best. It helps me to be inspired for the upcoming year. Although, I do spend every beginning of summer not giving a hoot about what I'm doing next year... right now I'm busy trying to organize the house, one room of the time (just finished up the sun porch so I can sit and enjoy the breeze with some sangria :wub:)

18. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 15, 2012

This was (by far) the toughest year of my seven-year-long teaching career.

My school district recommended that I move to a different grade level since I'm an aspiring school administrator (they really want me to have experience with the upper grades before they consider promoting me). I took their advice and moved from 2nd grade to middle school! It was a great learning experience, but I wasn't a good fit for that age group. I loved the curriculum, my learning curve went way up, but I dreaded going to work each morning. In fact, I took 20+ personal/sick days this year! It's hard admitting that I took so many days off, but it illustrates how awful my year was (my doctor even offered to put me on stress leave).

Anyway, in the fall, I'm heading back down to 2nd grade. That's where I know I belong. This summer, though, I'll be recharging my batteries so I'm ready for my kiddos in August.

I wish you the best, FourSquare! I can completely empathize with your situation!!!

**On a happy note: I can now add "middle school teacher" to my resume! It's definitely going to make me more marketable in terms of moving up the ladder one day!

19. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 15, 2012

When I got to that point (around year 13), I bit the bullet and resigned. I found a new district and a new school, and it was the best thing that ever happened to me. It was scary to make the change because I had been in my old district so long, I was well established, I knew what I needed to do, etc., but I knew for my sanity I had to leave.

Now I'm about to start year 21, and I love my job now as much as I did when I first started. :)

20. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 15, 2012

Add me to the list of teachers questioning themselves after a bad year. I did consider moving to another school or quitting, but decided to give it another year. We'll have a new administration, which will hopefully make a positive difference, the kids coming in have a reputation of being much better than the last group which has had a reputation ever since kindergarten (didn't know the extent of their reputation until near the end of the year) , and I think I've learned a few things about myself that will be helpful in the future. I'm in a professional book blog in my area of curriculum with other teachers from the district, I'm going on a great vacation soon, I've read the entire Hunger Games trilogy in addition to 4 other books - all within the last three weeks. I also read Ron Clark's book No More Molasses Classes,and though I can't do everything they've done at his academy, it did give me some new insight and a bit of a spark.