Finding schools to which to apply

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Aliceacc, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

OK, folks, it's crunch time!!!

Time to get those cover letters and resumes out to EVERY SINGLE PRINCIPAL in every single school you can find.

Yesterday, in another post, someone asked where to apply. I hope that no one minds, I've started a new thread with my response and the one that followed:

"THe internet and phone book are your friends!!!

Google "schools in" and name every village/town you can think of.

Get a hold of a map, either Hagstroms or online, and look at every town there too.

Us this for private schools http://www.privateschoolsreport.com/county.html and for any villages you haven't thought of. California uses Edjoin, right? Take a look there, and find every single school within your commute whether or not they have an opening.

Then hit the LA Times and any other semi-local paper. Go to their online help wanted ads. (Do that today; lots of schools post the ads only in the Sunday papers, so yesterday's ads are still fresh.)"

This was the response by Lovetoteachkids

"Also, check www. greatschools.net and type in the name of a school you know. It will list others within the vicinity (with their addresses) for you...public and private I think. "

The point is this: they can't hire you if they don't know you exist. Principals have lots of resumes in their file; many probably don't feel the need to go to HR to get some. Be SURE that the schools in which you might consider teaching have your info!!!

Do it NOW.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

While we're on the topic:

Who here is still looking? Where do you live and what are you certified to teach?

Let's see if we can help each other out in some way. Maybe someone will hear of an opening that will help you.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

5. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

Good idea Alice! Thx for all of your help. I had already been using all of your suggestions but a good strategy might be to just keep recycling them. Those in MO, KS, OK, and AR can just tap into the state department of education websites to get the links for postings throughout the state. Warning, tho, many are posted but are filled and postings have not been removed.

After yesterday's meltdown (and that's exactly what it was -- thx for all of your help and support and to others as well :) ) I checked my email and low and behold a principal from a school I had applied to earlier in the summer was desperate to talk to me...was at a seminar and did not have my phone numbers. I gave him a call this morning and we have an interview Saturday. No, it's not the location that I want, but I'm desperate now. And, the good news is that he's familiar with the "background" from the schools I've worked at and seemed (during the original conversation earlier this summer) to understand and not hold it against me. So we shall see.

PS I mapquest every school I'm not totally familiar with in the region to get a feel for distance. Yeah, there are some I'd like that are two hours away (one way) but that's not really doable at this time. But, if you can move...

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2007

I am still jobless. I would LOVE a job in Michigan (Ha!), but have also been applying around Charlotte, NC and Orlando and Daytona, FL because those are the only places I know someone in.
    My issue is references. I have no education-related ones. No one to fill out reference forms :( I finished student teaching in April 06, and my supervising teacher decided to retire over the summer. I have no way to contact her, as she moved closer to her grandchildren. The principal ran two small schools, and was never around, so he is no help. My college supervisor is not someone I would want as a reference (it was his 1st year last year, and he was no help. Everytime we asked a question, he referred us to someone else in the ed department! In our seminars, he either talked about himself or played Harry Wong tapes in a cassette player!). So, I have great references from my boss and a few other supervisors, plus some great personal references. However, they can't really answer questions such as "command of the classroom."
    I keep getting rejections (well, only 1 this year!) and "the position has been filled." The only bright side is that they rejector told me I interview well (before she rejected me) and many of the "positions have been filled" people tell me my resume looks great and they will keep it in case something opens.
    I am getting very frustrated, since many schools require the teachers to report in less than 4 weeks! I am elementary, with early childhood, math and social studies certification. I went to a Big-10 school. I don't understand why I still don't even have a prospect after 4 months of looking!!!!!!

Sorry for the rant (again, as this is not my first!)

Oh, and I have sent out over 100 resumes and CLs in the last 3 days. Some traditional mail, some e-mail and some both!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

You say you have math cert: what level(s)??

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2007

6-8. I was getting calls for that back in May, but I was holding out for an el position. But, I am through holding out!

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

OK, take that and run with it!!

Rewrite your cover letter so it emphasizes the middle school math certification. Mention how important it is for middles schoolers to have a firm grasp on the basics, from integer operations to finding the GCF-- these skills will be NEEDED in high school. Be sure your resume also highlights that: from the "objective" right on down.

then, today, email it to every single middle school you can find. EVERY one... as you mentioned, it's no longer time to be picky.

And, just in case, call back those schools that contacted you last spring. You may have to swallow your pride a bit, but it will SO be worth it if they call back.

NOW, get started :)

10. luvtoteach

luvtoteach Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

Jobs Still Available

I live in the Hampton Roads area in Virginia. I had a hard time this year with the job search because I was trying to get into a specific area. I did not get into the area I wanted, but I did get into the district. I take my kids with me so I wanted to be in a good school for them.

Anyway, I do know that for anyone willing to move there are still plenty of jobs available in Norfolk and Portsmouth. I worked in Portsmouth last year and the pay is pretty good for the area (it was a long drive for me and the school I was in was a rough one - not one I wanted to bring my kids to another year!). Norfolk pays the least amount for this area. I have also heard that Virginia Beach hires up until school starts and they have one of the highest pay scales for this area.

Just some information for anyone interested in this area. I never thought getting a job teaching would be so stressful and difficult! I truly wish the very best to everyone still working to land a position.

11. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

Lovely area. My nephew and his family live in Chesapeake. Don't know how hiring is there, but I can say that the family really loves their kids' school.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

giraffe,

Why not do some research and email them some cover letters & resumes? You said you're willing to relocate; how important is it to know someone in the area?

13. luvtoteach

luvtoteach Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

Definitely a nice area - Chesapeake has great schools. I hear that is the hardest district in the area to get into. I tried but never even got an interview there! :)

14. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

Georgia or Bust!

I want to work in Clayton County Georgia! I am trying to relocate to GA, from California...if anyone can help that would be GREAT! I am Ca credentialed, I am brand new, though I do have TA experience. I have had many calls, they just are not open to phone interviews and I have no $$ to go out ahead and then come back. School starts Aug 7th and preservice is Aug 1st, I am praying someone gets desperate and takes a chance on me.
    I picked Clayton County because I have a niece and nephew who live there and my husband has lived there, so he knows the area. I have emailed and sent resumes to everyone!
    How did other manage to get phone interviews?

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2007

I am working on it right now! It isn't so important to me to know someone, but it is to my dad. He's having a hard time with this! Even though I am 24 and have lived on my own for three years...

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

I just checked. It's 273 miles from Chesapeke to Charleston, where you know someone. So that's 4-5 hours in the car, probably about an hour by air if there were a crisis or something. Is that close enough for dad?

Give it a shot. You're not committing yourself, just applying.

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2007

I just want to cry! I just received a phone call from a principal in NC, but she wants 3 ed-only references! This is my problem! Then, she have me an hour only to get them! I just sent out 4 e-mails.... This is just so frustrating!
    I have only been able to get one so far.... I am trying!

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

OK, wait. We can do this.

The principal who was never around... can you get a hold of him? Can he verify that you DID student teach and had no major problems he's aware of?

I imagine you're in your hometown. Is there anyone at your old HS who could vouch for you?

How about other students with whom you student taught... can you get a hold of any of them??

Not ideal, but still possible. Good luck!

19. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

In addition to principals, I use collegues (teachers, aids, etc.) and school secretaries. What about any teachers that you taught along side of in student teaching that may have any inkling of how you taught? What about a professor who observed any teaching you did in college work? (we had to have that where I sent to school). Parents of kids who commended you on a job well done or you worked with concerning an issue with their kid? These are desperate times...use anything you can (well, maybe not a janitor, but you know...)

20. glenn

glenn Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

giraffe326
    I noticed you did substitute teaching. Any teacher or administrator you can obtain reference from when you worked as a substitute?

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

22. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

I just emailed about 20 principals in the areas I would want to work in. I plan on sending out a lot more. I emailed them a brief introduction, then attached my cover letter and resume. I'm thinking I should have just put the cover letter in the email because I'm sure most principals won't take the time to open the attachments. I'm hoping some of these will get me interviews.

I'm looking for elementary positions anywhere in Long Island, Queens, Brooklyn or Staten Island. So if anyone is from around those areas and knows of any openings PLEASEEEEE let me know!!!

23. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

I agree putting the cover letter and resume in the email works ...someone mentioned that unfamiliar emails getting junked, but I also thought they might not want to download too many documents as well.
    Just a thought for the future.
    Oh yeah, I also put specific information in the subject line, too.
    Good Luck lillebe!

24. 1stYearTeacher

1stYearTeacher Companion

Jul 17, 2007

Once again I have to thank you Alice. I have never seen the private school website and I found so many more schools I can apply to. AWESOME

25. 1stYearTeacher

1stYearTeacher Companion

Jul 17, 2007

Oh and I am looking for a 1st-4th grade job in Massachusetts.

26. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

What would be a good example of something to put in the subject line so my email doesn't get deleted. I just put "employment inquiry"

27. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

I put "teaching vacancies" or "4th grade teaching position" something specific, so far so good.
    Now if I can just get to GA, :) .
    But I found an apartment complex willing to work with me, so we shall see!

28. KTeachNC

KTeachNC Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

giraffe-- I saw that you were thinking about moving to Charlotte to teach? I wanted to pass along that I moved there, right out of college at 22, to teach elementary school. I loved it!! Absolutely loved it. It was the best experience of my life and really shaped me as a teacher. I taught in a high poverty school, which was a huge challenge, but the kids were awesome, and the district also paid for my Master's entirely. I did not know ANYONE in the area, but, there are so many young teachers in the school system there, as well as the entire city, and I met people quickly. It's an up and coming city, and a best kept secret in the south. Also, I would not worry too much about job openings if you're looking at CMS. They are always hiring. They hire like 1400 new teachers each year. It's insane. The city is growing like crazy... I think they have built five or six new elem school in the last two years. I actually moved to the mountain area/ Asheville this summer and will be teaching kindergarten in August b/c my boyfriend lies here. I would recommend NC as a great area to live and teach-- however, if you want some inside advice on good schools in Charlotte, feel free to PM me. Best of luck!!

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

Ouch. Cross country openings I can find. Long Island is a different story:eek:

Have you tried all the non-public schools? Diocese of Rockville Centre, Brooklyn, Archdiocese of NY?

30. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

I have tried everything that I can think of. Rockville centre diocese said they have no opening and are not giving out applications at this time- but they are holding my resume for up to a year (no good that does me).
    I'm still waiting for the principal to come back from vacation at charter school which I interviewed and did a demo with. The AP said he's recommending me to the Principal for employment but he won't be back till Friday- the anticipation is killing me!!

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

Just don't bank on it; you know how brutal things are here.

I assume you've tried OLAS and all the schools not on OLAS, right?

Don't forget all the non-Catholic private schools-- there are several Friends Academies out there (and, no, you don't have to be Quaker to teach there), and all sorts of other schools. Hit the phone book, the internet, the NY Times jobs section every day and just keep on keeping on!

32. To Teach

To Teach Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

I have a teaching certificate for the state of PA and NJ for elementary education. I have been looking too too long. HELP

33. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

For starters, would you consider re-locating? If so, are there any limits on the distance?

34. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

Where in PA are you?

35. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

That's the way I do it ("11th Grade English/Speech Teaching Position) and I frequently get a reply.

36. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

If anyone is looking in PA...try using www.pa-educator.net, some of the postings are pretty old, but that's the system many many school districts use...if you're Elem. ed...good luck for every 1 opening in elem here there are well over 100 openings...I'm also using teachers-teachers.com which has openings from all over, you can select the states that you want to see. That helped me get interviews in VA and NC. I'm headed to Lumberton (south of Fayetteville), NC next week for a few interviews...Good Luck to us all who are still looking!!!