Finding Out About Your Ancestors (Ancestry.com)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 28, 2011

Has anyone ever used the Ancestry.com program (or another prgm) to find out about your ancestors? What do you think about the info you found out? Are there other ancestry-researching programs that you found to be better?

I'd love to do it someday soon, but as of now, I haven't even begun to look into this or checked prices. The most I did was learn a little from what my parents told me.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2011

No, but actually that might be a very interesting project for three kids I know.

Hmmm...

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 28, 2011

One branch of my family can be traced to the 1200s on that site so researching that branch was worth it, but there are so many branches that were dead ends after four or five generations.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 28, 2011

My mom is very into that and has researched generations. She has an incredible scrapbook. I know she likes ancestry.com-I think she told me that you pay like for a period of time and can use it as much as you want to in that timeframe before you have to pay again.

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 28, 2011

There is amazing amounts of searchable information available free from the Church of the Latter Day Saints' website: www.familysearch.org. I just looked up my great grandmother and downloaded the 12th US Census with her dad listed there along with her mom, brothers and sisters!

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2011

I love learning about my ancestors. I have quite the collection of family tree facts, documents, and photos. Fascinating.

8. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Jun 28, 2011

I was a member at Ancestry.com for a few months and found quite a bit of information. There were levels of membership, though, so I couldn't access everything I would have liked. Some family drama led to me cancelling my membership, but I hope to go back someday and pick up where I left off.

9. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jun 28, 2011

No, I haven't. I think when we eventually move again one of my projects is to sit down with a librarian (while taking breaks from looking for a job and applying to school) to trace my family history. My Grandpa has told me numerous times that one of my (I don't know how many greats) grandfathers was one of the signers of the declaration of independence.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2011

There are lots of family secrets that died with my grandparents on both sides. I don't think I'd get too far in a search, although it does interest me.

11. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jun 28, 2011

My dad is huge into genealogy. He's traced our family back for centuries. I remember doing my heritage project in 8th grade and had it done in about 30 minutes because my dad knew it all from memory! Now he's working on my husband's family and my brother-in-law's family.

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2011

I haven't. My dad's maternal side of the family has been traced, but I suspect it would be difficult to trace the other parts of the families - the names were all Americanized or spelled incorrectly as they went through Ellis Island.

13. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 28, 2011

The farthest I have been able to trace my family back is to my mom's dad's parents.

We know their information because my mom's dad's father was a tug boat fireman for a company in NYC. They sponsored his immigration to the US after he worked on ships for years. When he immigrated to the US, the ship he took, he was on the crew, so he didn't have to pay. We know about him because when my grandfather died, we found a box full of information, including stuff like letters in spanish and a spanish travel visa, things like that.

The ellis island site is rather useful. My uncle designed it :p

14. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jun 29, 2011

I have traced several branches of the family back 100s of years. My maternal great-grandma's family has been traced back over 1400 years. I think it is so cool to learn about your ancestors and things they did. It really brings history alive for my kids to hear how my husband's gggrandparents came from Kentucky in their covered wagon and built a one room cabin to survive the first winter in Illinois. My dream vacation would be to go to England and to see some of those castles that my ancestors lived in and got married in. A lot of them are still around.

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 29, 2011

We have our charts done back to England in the 1500s for one branch, Ireland in the 1700s for another, and England and Ireland more recently than that for others. We never went through Ellis Island (we were either already here or came here in less-than-legal ways...) Technically, I could put FFV behind my name, and I'd have no problem joining the DAR. I grew up feeling like my ancestors had died just before I was born. We are a family of storytellers, and we have a rich oral history in our family. I felt like I knew many of them through these stories, even though some of them died a century or more before I was born. I love the connection I feel like I have because of these stories.

16. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Jun 29, 2011

I've used ancestry.com and found it to be a great/fun resource. I knew nothing about my dad's family past his parents, but using the website I was able to find census records, death and birth records, even newspaper articles written about my ancestors. I found out my family has been in San Francisco (where I live) for over 150 years.

It was easy to do searches (then again, my last name is VERY rare) and find information. When I started looking into family members with more common names (like Mitchell) you have to be smart about your research...look at dates, etc.

The free trial on ancestry.com is a good way to see if you'd like using the site. But I warn you...once you start trying to track down your ancestors it becomes almost addicting...and it's very time consuming. Also, I wouldn't trust other people's research already posted on the site. I found so many mistakes in the family tree.