Finding My "Teacher Voice"

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by PreKyay, Jan 25, 2009.

1. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

Jan 25, 2009

I began subbing last week. Two days in K, 1 in 2nd grade. I had a tough time. I was told by several teachers that I had the "tough" classes. I just could not seem to get my bluff in! And, I was told that I need to find my "teacher" voice. I am not necessarily soft spoken and I know that this person did not mean that I need to raise my voice. She said I needed to have a different voice, a more authoritative voice when correcting the students. Does anyone else have any more constructive criticism? I can use all that I can get!

3. GourdArtist

GourdArtist Rookie

Jan 26, 2009

subbing for the first time

Congratulations on making it through your first assignments! I've been subbing for a year now and last Friday finally accepted an assignment for sub in kindergarten for the first time. K, 1st and 2nd grades can be pretty tough. You will get better as you have more experience. I normally have a pretty soft voice, but when I am in a classroom I speak a lot louder. You have to speak like you mean it and make sure you follow through when you tell the kids to stop a certain behavior. Kids naturally will test a sub. In younger grades having a sub definitely brakes their routine, so kids will test you to see how much they will be able to get away with. In kindergarten kids feel pretty secure having their teacher there everyday and they will act up when a sub comes in. You have to be firm from the very beginning. If they realize that you are letting things slide, it is more difficult to regain control as the day goes on. These kids don't know that you are a new sub, so act like you know what you are doing from the start. Sometimes younger kids will say: "But Mrs. So and So doesn't do it this way." I ask them how she does it, or if it's something minor I just tell them that today we'll do things a little differently.

Don't give up! It will get better, trust me.

4. JadeCrane

JadeCrane Comrade

Jan 26, 2009

Your voice has to be able to project - it is not completely unlike a stage voice... this is not the same as yelling, but you already seem to know this. More important than how you speak is what is coming out of your mouth. Younger kids, generally, still want to please you. Tell them how - reward them generously - a smile, a remark "I really like the way Georgie is working quietly", a pat on the shoulder... They respond to kindness but very much need boundaries as well... I do a count-down from five to quiet them down, this is usually effective. Also, keep walking around the room... NEVER sit when students are in the room - walk around - this is maybe the most effective classroom management method there is, pretty much all grade levels.

Oh!!! I nearly forgot - young students love stickers!! LOVE THEM! So - I carry a sheet of stickers around with me and hand them out without saying a word at first - then later I say - "some of you received sticker from Mrs. Crane. Can anyone guess why?" They know...

Good luck - oh - and watch and learn any time you are in the room with another teacher (sub or otherwise). Suck up whatever you can - be the "empty cup"... This is like anything else you want to master. Time, practice, observe... be willing to try something new. You'll be fine!

5. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

Jan 26, 2009

Thank you for the great advice and encouragement. It's so nice to have a place to ask questions and get feedback.

I will not give up! I feel that I am called to teach. I just need to regain my confidence and keep learning and keep on truckin'! Thanks again!

6. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 26, 2009

You will be fine PreKyay!