Finding and the Working w/ LoNg Term Suba

Discussion in 'General Education' started by rchlkay, Jul 26, 2009.

1. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Jul 26, 2009

When you're going to be gone, do you play a part in finding your "replacement"? Are interviews done, plans laid out. i',at a point where I don't kmow wat would be best....

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2009

In my school board, the hiring of long-term subs is the responsibility of the principal and vice-principal. The person filling the position must be a working substitute with the board and must have had a certain number of evaluations/observations completed. While I could suggest names for consideration to my principal, I have no "say" in who is hired.

Generally, the permanent teacher is responsible for providing a week or two worth of plans (don't remember which), and a general outline of what needs to be covered in each subject area. Some teachers and long-term subs work closely together in planning, others don't. In my opinion, the transition is easier for the students if the permanent teacher is as involved as possible.

4. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009

It works the same at my school as it does at Mrs. C's. I could suggest a sub that I wanted, but the final decision is left up to the principal. And the sub has to be certified in the area which they'll be working (for me, early childhood), unless there are no subs on the sub list certified in that area.

We also have to do 2 weeks of specific, daily plans, and provide a week-by week outline and schedule for the rest of the time. I'm supposing that this is only in the case of a leave that you were planning. If it was an emergency leave (a car accident that leaves you severely injured or whatnot), I cannot see how they'd enforce that.

However, I'm a little controlling....I left daily plans for the entire time I was on maternity leave. (And I took off 12 weeks once and 16 weeks once). Fortunately, I had my babies right after summer break (one at the end of August, one at the start of September), so I had all summer to work on them. I set up a binder that had a section for each week, and I included all papers to be copied, parent notes that had to go home, and a list of materials and books needed that week, with notes as to where to find them. After the first week, the plans weren't detailed - they didn't include time schedules or specials schedules, for instance. It may have said something like:
    September 14: introduce the letter A. Use the A puzzle for a small group. Copy and distribute the A tracing sheet and the A picture find sheet. Sing the A song on the first CD. Etc.

I also made it clear to the sub (who I know very well) that she could change activities as much as she wants, as long as she accomplished the major objectives each day. The sub knew my style and was ok with the amount of direction I gave her. Other subs prefer more independence or more detailed guidance....

Kim

5. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 27, 2009

Same here. Principal is in charge of hiring long term subs. Teachers can request, and most of the time that request is honored. I've only had one LTS in my 9 years of teaching. I didn't request her, but the P suggested her b/c another spec ed teacher was out through christmas break and my maternity leave started right after break. It worked out well, b/c I had a chance to talk to her & explain my procedures & expectations. I also left a detailed 5 page letter about how I do things. I copied all of the reading worksheets b/c I do different skills & I wanted to pick the pages. I left detailed plans or a week or two, then just a skeleton frame for the remaining time.

I will be out again this year on maternity leave, so the P has said she will try to get the same LTS as before. So that will be helpful.

6. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2009

Ditto. Principal is in charge of who goes where mainly because we have whats called "Stellar Subs" that are permanent subs who come to school every single day and get their assignments when they get there. We also have other regular subs but our secretary is in charge of calling subs for us. The Stellar spends time in our class prior to us going on leave (i.e. maternity leave). We have to leave 2 weeks worth of plans for them and after that they plan with our partners or team.

7. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 27, 2009

Luckily in my district teachers choose their own long term sub.

8. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009

the principal chooses our long term subs. A teacher on my team took maternity leave at the begining of the school year and she didn't leave any sub plans. She met with us (it was my first year) so we would know how things work at the school and she came in during teacher prep day to help, but other that she trusted the sub to do her job. I don't know if she would have needed to leave any plans if she was leaving midyear.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2009

Teachers can suggest a replacement, and then the principal and the substitute coordinator actually make the decision.