Finding a Tutoring Job

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by teresaglass, Aug 10, 2006.

1. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 10, 2006

It looks like I will be subbing this year if I do not ace the interview that I have today at a charter high school. My question is how would I go about getting tutoring jobs to supplement my income? I have decided to apply at Sylvan but does anyone have any other suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Terry G.

3. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Aug 10, 2006

i have always thought it would be cool to do private tutoring. you could meet the tutee at your house, the library, etc., and charge whatever you want. you could advertise in a number of places like your local grocery store and see what kind of a response you get. i worked at sylvan for about a year and did not have the best experience. however, i have heard that huntington learning center is good. plus you could always just try doing it privately...i would think that would really be the way to go. good luck! :) -meri

4. teachtech

teachtech Rookie

Aug 10, 2006

I did online tutoring for a year through Sylvan. I worked from home. The pay isn't as good as if you found your own kids to tutor, but I thought it was neat tutoring kids from all over and not having to leave the house to do so!

5. MillerJ

MillerJ Rookie

Aug 10, 2006

I have been considering this as well, and will also be subbing this Fall.

Will the schools let you give out your info there? Just curious as to how you go about doing this.

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2006

I placed signs in my local library and church. I got a lot of kids that way. What about Youth Councils in your area?

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2006

I"ve done tons of tutoring in the past 6 years! Here's what I do
    - I order free business cards from Vistaprint. SInce I'm math, I chose a ruler and compass, but any educational image will do. I include the words "MATH TUTOR" and my contact info.

-I also order their fridge magnets when they're free with basically the same info.

-I send a letter to every high school within a reasonable commute. I direct it to the head of guidance. It states my qualifications, the courses I've taught, my certification, years in the classroom, and so on. I ask them to refer me to anyone looking for a math tutor. I include a magnet and several buisiness cards for them to pass on.

-I tutor in my dining room. The teenagers down the block watch my kids, either upstairs or outside. The sitters started at the very young age of 11, but remember: I was downstairs in case there was any sort of a problem.

-When the kids come for the first time, I give them a magnet so they can get in touch with me if they need to. I also get their phone number the first time they call, in the event that I get the flu or something and have to cancel.

-I charge $60 per hour. That's LOW for Long Island. But I do ask them to come to me, and there is the occasional crisis with my own kids. (Like the time Julia got her head stuck between the wrought iron rungs of the back stoop handrail!)

-You could also post flyers at local supermarkets, laundyrmats, diners, and church/synagogue bulletin boards. Our library won't let us post unless it's not for profit, but yours may have a different policy. Also consider taking out an ad in your local Pennysaver.

It has really helped us the past few years. SOme years I've had to turn away kids when things got too busy. (Lucky I know other math tutors I could refer them to, I would hate to leave a kid needing help.) The downside, of course, is kids who cancel or just don't show at the last minute-- leaving me to pay a babysitter for an hour I didn't use!

Give it a shot! Check local ads to find the going price in your neighborhood!

8. teachtech

teachtech Rookie

Aug 10, 2006

I also had put my name in at the district office of the local school district so that if someone had contacted them for a tutor that they could give my name and number. Might try that -- seeing if your district does something like that.

9. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 10, 2006

Teresaglass: I hope you do well on your interview at the Charter School today. :) Let us know how it goes.

10. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 10, 2006

Hello All,

Thanks for the great suggestions. I am definitely going to try them.
    I did apply at Sylvan but had to cancel due to my mother's illness. I am definitly going to try them again. Huntington learning Center looks good too. I may also contact school districts and advertise.

I interviewed as an intervention teacher at the charter school. It went well but they noticed my library science masters and asked if I would be interested in interviewing for their Library Media Teacher position. I said yes but also told them that I was more interested in the intervention teacher position. They forwarded my information to the person who will be hiring for the librarian position. They will contact me next week regarding their decision and for interviewing for the other position. Anyway I hope I get employed by this school but I have signed up to sub for 2 districts and Kelly Services. Wish me luck. Terry G.

11. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 10, 2006

Sounds great Terry G! :D

12. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 10, 2006

You could advertise on craigslist...

13. wifemomteach06

wifemomteach06 Companion

Aug 11, 2006

I hope that all goes well. I am finding this tutoring thread very informative, thanks for starting it!

14. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2006

Beleive it or not.... ask the barista in Starbucks if you could post on their board...... lots of moms needing a coffee break will be glad you did.

15. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 11, 2006

I just put in my notice at Hungtington today. It's an OK place if you want to have more experience to put on your resume (which is the main reason why I chose to work there) but I felt more like a records-keeper than a teacher. I learned much more about my own philosophy of teaching as a result of this job! But that's not saying that you won't enjoy it! The benefits are that the scheduling is flexible so you can sub while working there, and of course you get to work with children! Good luck!

16. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2006

Being a record keeper was the main reason I left a learning center to tutor privately.

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 11, 2006

I now have two sessions set up in kids' homes (which I try to avoid) on Mondays after school. Yikes. I don't know if I'll have the energy. I also have Thurs. after school booked, but at school, which is easier. It is very hard to say no.

18. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2006

I have always just mentioned that I'm looking for tutoring jobs to any teacher I see (but this is a small town).
    For nanny jobs, I put an ad in the paper and got a lot of responses. I'm sure it would work for tutoring as well.

I was upset this summer though, I was planning on tutoring 4 nights a week, and both families (2 kids, 2 nights each) cancelled on me. :( Oh well, my day camp job was pretty exhausting :)

19. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 11, 2006

I applied online to Sylvan and Score. I am going to try some more center. Terry G.