Finding a teaching position mid-year in GA

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Vhil9320, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Vhil9320

Vhil9320 Rookie

Jun 20, 2016

Hello All,

Has anyone here found a teaching job mid-year? Was it difficult compared to at the beginning of the school year? I will be graduating early December and plan on relocating to the Atlanta area and would love to find a teaching position there (Math 6-12). I'm feeling hopeful because I know that Mathematics is a high demand area. Anyone had/have an experience like this? If anyone can be of any help, I'd greatly appreciate it!

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 29, 2020

When I first started teaching, I was also a December graduate, and found a position immediately. It was for elementary (3rd grade.) I was this class's 6th teacher that school year. It was a nightmare. Yes, I loved the kids, but they were so convinced I was going to leave them (and I can't blame them for that, since they had already lost 6 teachers in as many months.) They were so far behind because of all the changes. It was a testing grade, and I was under so much pressure to get those kids, who had no consistent teaching that year, to pass the state tests. Add that to the stress of the being a first year teacher, and that the parents were fed-up with the revolving door of teachers, and were not supportive in the least (who can blame them?) As you can imagine, getting the class under control and following yet another classroom management plan was intense.

Follow that with the fact that schools with good administrators don't usually lose 6 teachers in 6 months, so there was a lot going on with that, as well. It was a hot mess.

I survived, and I'm sure, so will you. I had no idea how bad the situation was until I got I had already committed to the school. If I had it to do over again, I think I would have done a long-term sub or even volunteered at a few schools that I wanted to work at, to meet and observe administrators and fellow teachers, and to see how discipline worked (or didn't work) at the prospective schools. You will find out what schools you would like to work at. I'm not sure I could have afforded to do that, but it would be wise.

Also realize that most districts do not actually offer mid-year contracts -- they hire you as a long-term sub, with no benefits or guarantee that you will have the job again after the semester ends. The pay is higher than a regular day-to-day sub, but way less than a classroom teacher -- even though you will have all the stress and responsibilities.