Finding a position after resigning

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by 4myclass, Jun 10, 2008.

1. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jun 10, 2008

I am worried that I will have trouble finding a new job because I resigned my last position after 9 weeks due to medical reasons.

:(- I was put into a 5th grade classroom after only teaching Pre-K and Kindergarten. I was given no support and in fact students and parents were allowed to verbally assault me to the point that I was losing my vision. For some reason, the principal hated me. I have no idea why. Medically, I couldn't take any more of the abuse, so I resigned and took a position as an aide to finish out the year.

Needless to say, I no longer work at that school :haha:YAY!

My fear is that principals will look at my resume and think that I am a quitter. I am not a quitter. I put up with that school for 4 years. I was put into a position that was unbearable and caused physical damage.

What do you think? What should I say or not say about why I resigned?
    :help:I need advise.

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2008

My advice is to be honest. but do so with a positive spin. You don't need to go into the gory details.... you could simply say your health contributed to your decision to resign. Is the principal your only reference?

So many teachers have had bad experiences, but manage to overcome it and find a better situation. It may take time, but don't give up.

Just don't bad mouth anyone or anything about your former position.

4. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jun 10, 2008

My references include cooperating teachers and parents.
    :huh:Hey, the superintendent even wrote me a wonderful reference letter about how I would be an asset to any school I taught at. FYI-This was a very small district and the superintendent was a major part of the problems that I faced.

5. eCubed

eCubed Companion

Jun 10, 2008

If it's affecting your health, then by all means, it's a lot better than resigning because you were not ready for the "reality" aspect of teaching (though you were cognitively able to carry out the tasks and deliver content)(btw, my case).

On the positive spin out of that? You can say that you sought medical help and rested until your vision improved, and while waiting, you researched literature and attended seminars to better equip you to face similar situations when you return to the classroom. What if you didn't research, seek professional help, or attend seminars? I guess you can tell them that you have grown as an individual and as a professional as you aged.

I'm not sure if I'm of help in this. It's a dire circumstance. I hope everything turns out fine for you during your job search and WHEN (not if) you get there! :)

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2008

I resigned mid year my first year teaching due to medical reasons. The next year I interviewed on an afternoon, by that evening I had received a call offering me the job. I had to resign again this year, though I finished out the year due to the fact that I was due early Sept.

7. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2008

I think that the chances are good that you will find another job, especially since you taught for 4 years before resigning.

8. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jun 11, 2008

I agree that being honest would be best in this situation. Good luck in the job search.

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 11, 2008

They don't have to know details. Simply say you resigned due to health reasons, but you are now in good health and ready to return to work.